N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default Misfire - 10-21-2017, 02:51 PM

Log attached. Iíve been getting servers codes, but the common theme is misfiring cylinder 4. Changed all the plugs. Swapped coils. Iím guessing itís an injector? Injectors are 2 years old and have about 25k miles in them. Pic of the plug attached as well.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: csv 2017-10-21 14_10_01.csv (18.1 KB, 140 views)

09 335xi - 6AT - JB4 - hot side inlets - *** - MHD Flash - 7" IC - Fuel-It TBI
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-21-2017, 04:42 PM

If you move plug and coil around and its the same cylinder, then normally its an injector.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 10-22-2017, 06:49 AM

Crap. Swapped plug 4 and 2 and just got a misfire on cylinder 5. As you can see below, itís been all cylinder 4 until now. O2 sensor?

2017-10-18 17_20_55:
2A2C Fuel mixture control 2

2017-10-20 10_28_09:
29E1 Fuel mixture control 2

2017-10-20 17_33_04:
29D0 Misfirings, cylinder 4
29D9 Misfirings in case of tank filling level too low

2017-10-20 20_02_00:

2017-10-20 20_02_29:

2017-10-21 14_10_14:
30FC Exhaust fume turbo charger, density

2017-10-22 08_38_33:
29D1 Misfirings, cylinder 5
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2017-10-22 08_38_12.csv (17.8 KB, 102 views)

(#4)
Old

Default 10-23-2017, 09:28 AM

One more piece of data. I updated to the latest JB4 firmware and did an adaptation reset. Log attached. Codes below.

29D2 Misfirings, cylinder 6
29CC Misfirings, several cylinders
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2017-10-23 08_19_21.csv (17.7 KB, 123 views)

(#5)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 10-23-2017, 09:02 PM

AFR's look pretty good until you misfire. Maybe an injector or boost leak?

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#6)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 10-23-2017, 09:59 PM

My $ is on an injector- what index do you have?

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old

Default 10-24-2017, 12:59 AM

I changed all the injectors 2 years ago. Bought them from rock auto. STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS FJ1050. I don’t recall what index they are. They were the latest when I installed them. 12 maybe? I’ve had a misfire on 4, 5, and 6 now. It only happens at WOT. It hasn’t happened with “spirited driving”. Would all the injectors in the second bank start to go at once? Seems odd.

(#8)
Old

Default 10-24-2017, 06:53 AM

Found a picture. Definitely 12.

(#9)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-24-2017, 07:17 PM

That is odd, although 2 years & e85 exposure it wouldn’t be out of the question.

I’d pull that bank and see

Burger Motorsports

(#10)
Old

Default 10-25-2017, 01:06 AM

Thanks Steve. What am I looking for when I pull the bank?

(#11)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-25-2017, 08:36 PM

Carbon build up, oil, lean condition (grey/white plug), fuel smell, etc.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#12)
Old

Default 10-27-2017, 08:06 PM

I haven’t had a chance to pull the injectors yet. Tomorrow. But, does it make sense that I’m getting 2A2C Fuel mixture control 2 When I start the car? Nothing else.

(#13)
Old

Default 10-28-2017, 09:06 PM

Got this code tonight. 29DC Cylinder injection switch-off Could this all be a failing hpfp? 90k miles on the car.

(#14)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-29-2017, 08:46 PM

I had the mixture control code on my old 335- only thing that fixed it was new injectors tbh.

Burger Motorsports

(#15)
Old

Default 10-30-2017, 07:32 AM

Thanks Dave. I like the sound of replacing injectors vs. a HPFP....

(#16)
Old

Default 11-04-2017, 07:40 PM

Stumped again... New log attached. I put new injectors in cylinders 4, 5, and 6. The old ones didn't look great, but I am seeing the same behavior. To recap, I've changed the plugs and moved some coils from Bank 1 to Bank2 prior to this. Any other ideas?

Similar codes from the run associated with the log.
29D1 Misfiring, cylinder 5
29D2 Misfiring, cylinder 6
29D0 Misfiring, cylinder 4
29CC Misfiring, several cylinders

Thanks.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: csv 2017-11-04 17_02_37.csv (13.2 KB, 103 views)

(#17)
Old

Default 11-05-2017, 10:30 AM

One more thing. With just normal driving I’m still getting 2A2C Fuel mixture control 2. The misfiring is only at wot.

(#18)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-05-2017, 08:15 PM

2A2C still occurring is an issue you'll have to get resolved. O2 sensor, boost leak, ???

(#19)
Old

Default 11-05-2017, 08:26 PM

I guess I’ll start with the o2 sensor. Seems like that might explain the fuel mixture issue and the misfires. I would guess a boost leak might not just isolate misfires to Bank 2.

(#20)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-05-2017, 08:35 PM

If it's an intake manifold gasket or exhaust leak it would.

(#21)
Old

Default 11-06-2017, 07:06 AM

That makes sense. O2 sensor sounds like an easier start. ;-)

(#22)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 11-06-2017, 11:27 PM

How does the car idle?

Burger Motorsports

(#23)
Old

Default 11-07-2017, 12:18 AM

Car idles ok. Not nearly as rough as it did before I cashed the plugs. What are you thinking?

(#24)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 11-08-2017, 12:32 AM

A dying o2 can make idle a bit rough.

Burger Motorsports

(#25)
Old

Default 11-27-2017, 09:50 AM

Finally got around to changing the O2 sensor. That seems to have fixed it! Thanks for the help.