N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Default 2-step rev limiter for JB4 - 07-27-2011, 09:38 PM

If you happen to have a trasnsitor and a few wires you can connect them to your piggyback system and make a nice little 2-step rev limiter. Was able to build 6psi or so in neutral with minimal effort. And this is with our 135i which is 100% stock aside from the tune. This can't be good for our cats or turbos.

*** UPDATE ***

Here are a couple photos of what it takes. Keep in mind while supported this won't be an "official" feature as there is no way for us to quantify just how bad for your car this is. Somewhere between not a good idea and a really bad one.

The first problem is we're using the spare I/O wires for the WW meth kit and CPS module. But we have plenty of digital I/O on the chip itself. So you'll need to solder a wire to the board to access this I/O.

Then you need a place to hold the high current transistor and a couple of other components. Most likely we'll provide this part for you along with the PNP connectors to plug it in. We'll also post the circuit diagram and component part numbers for those who want to solder something up themselves. It's not a very complicated circuit.

Finally, we're adding support to the firmware. Initially I've setup menu 8 as the 2-step rev limit RPM. You just pick the RPM and the rev limit kicks on when throttle is = 100% and speed = 0. In addition for manuals we monitor the clutch pedal and for automatics the brake pedal. If the clutch is in or the brake depressed the 2-step is active. As soon as you let off the brake or let out the clutch away you go.

3/13 UPDATE

The new MOSFET circuit has been OK but very hit and miss. And the soldering a wire, etc, is a big pain in the ass. I think what we'll do is add the hardware required to do the 2STEP to our "BigTurbo" JB4 board. Most of the people who want a 2STEP will be fully modified w/ meth anyway and can benefit from other features on that board. Will post more details when we have them on that.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2)
Old

Default 07-27-2011, 09:54 PM

i really like that sound hahaha
(#3)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 07-27-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Just be aware this is probably very bad for your car.
Yeh kinda like the 18psi I'm running on my stock turbos.
That' pretty cool Terry.

135i - JB4 15ohm l Mr 5 Intake l AA C@tless ********* l ETS Intercooler l BMS Methanol Injection l Berk Tech Mids l Berk Tech Axleback l BMS OCC l ER CP l Turbosmart BOV's. SOLD

335i DCT - JB4 G5 ISO l AA C@tless ********* l ETS Intercooler l Custom Intake l Meth l BMS E85 Flash l BMS OCC l ER CP l Walbro 255 l Turbosmart BOV's. CURRENT
(#4)
Old

Car: 2012 bmw 135i
Default 07-28-2011, 12:06 AM

is there any way we could get this to work for dct cars too? if so im down for it

2018 Individual Tanzanite Blue Competition M4
(#5)
Old

Car: 2009 335i M Sport sedan
Default 07-28-2011, 01:46 AM

I really like how BMS is first downplaying the Vishnu new features, and then they become standard features built into the JB :D
(#6)
Old

Car: 135i and M3 E30 Evo III
Send a message via Skype™ to Babyjoe1973
Default 07-28-2011, 05:22 AM

Terry better to open the rev limit not to cut it!!!!!!!!! Any idea?

Babyjoe

BMW M3 F80 ZCP
(#7)
Old
BlackBird

Car: 2011 335i
Default 07-28-2011, 05:49 AM

Quote:
If you happen to have a trasnsitor and a few wires you can connect them to your piggyback system and make a nice little 2-step rev limiter. Was able to build 6psi or so in neutral with minimal effort. And this is with our 135i which is 100% stock aside from the tune. This can't be good for our cats or turbos.

Anyway if there is interest among the manual transmission community we can add this as a formal JB4 feature in the future. Just be aware this is probably very bad for your car.

(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-28-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru
I really like how BMS is first downplaying the Vishnu new features, and then they become standard features built into the JB :D
I haven't really been in the loop on whatever features are coming out. Although after seeing it I did say this 2-step and no-lift-shift feature that was copied from Dzenno's WOTbox could be implemented with a simple transistor using any piggyback system. To be candid I'm not sure why Vishnu is requiring you guys to buy entirely new hardware to use it?

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#9)
Old

Default 07-28-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I haven't really been in the loop on whatever features are coming out. Although after seeing it I did say this 2-step and no-lift-shift feature that was copied from Dzenno's WOTbox could be implemented with a simple transistor using any piggyback system. To be candid I'm not sure why Vishnu is requiring you guys to buy entirely new hardware to use it?
Someone has to pump gas into the Lambo
(#10)
Old
BlackBird

Default 07-28-2011, 09:21 AM

Terry, is there any way yous can build some sort of trans brake to launch while in gear on automatic trans? Besides foot brakeing, Not sure how that would work, but just a suggestion..
(#11)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-28-2011, 09:46 AM

I don't see this having any practical use in automatics aside from showing off at the local burger joint.

Burger Motorsports

(#12)
Old

Car: '07 335i
Default 07-28-2011, 09:53 AM

So why is this so bad for the turbos? Compressor surge?

I'm VERY interested in this becoming a feature but if it's bad for the turbos I would like to see an option to do this without building boost. It would be a great feature for us manual guys at the track when sitting at the tree. This way I don't have to keep switching my eyes from my tach to the tree and feathering the gas pedal to get a good launch.

'07 E90 MT Sports Package l FBO l RB Next Gen Plus l JB4 G5 with DPT E85 BEF l N20 MAP Sensor l MMP Inlets l RB Outlets l Custom Exhaust l NLS & 2-Step l MFactory 3.46 LSD l 335is Clutch with MFactory SMFW l Walbro 450 l Direct Port Meth Injection

Best 1/4 ET: 11.4
Best 1.4 Trap: 127.7
(#13)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-28-2011, 09:56 AM

Strong uneven explosions/pulses in the turbine combined with high heat increase wear and fatigue. I've heard from other tuners that use this technique for years on end with race cars but all agree it isn't daily driver material.

Burger Motorsports

(#14)
Old

Car: N55 335i
Default 07-28-2011, 09:58 AM

FINALLY, something amazing for the "slow" MANUALS!

I'd also like a more technical explanation of why this would be bad for the car. Is it more driveline stess or stress on the turbos or both? Which would be worse on the car, the launch control or the no-lift shift (which btw, sounds UNREAL)?
(#15)
Old
BlackBird

Default 07-28-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I don't see this having any practical use in automatics aside from showing off at the local burger joint.
(#16)
Old

Car: BMW 335i E92
Default 07-28-2011, 11:17 AM

Terry I would love to try this for fun, any chance you would post a wiring scheme and add this to a firmware release?
(#17)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-28-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox_fan
Terry I would love to try this for fun, any chance you would post a wiring scheme and add this to a firmware release?
That is the plan. I have to do some more back end work to get the targeting right, allow user adjustment, etc. Last night was just a "first crack at it" and I was surprised just how easy it actually was.

Burger Motorsports

(#18)
Old

Car: 2009 335i M Sport sedan
Default 07-28-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
To be candid I'm not sure why Vishnu is requiring you guys to buy entirely new hardware to use it?
I'm not a Vishnu guy...I have GIAC Stage 2 I would really be interested in an N54-specific wotbox if you come up with a standalone solution (without the JB4 stuff). I was set on getting the dzenno wotbox but with your experience on the N54 platform I would surely trust you more on a solution.
(#19)
Old
Turbo Lover

Car: 300zx TT, 1M
Send a message via Skype™ to SlicktopTTZ
Default 07-28-2011, 03:24 PM

Yeah Terry if you could couple this with a WOT shift feature to hold more boost for us Manual guys then this would definitely sell.

Well, I would buy one at least.

(#20)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default 07-28-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
It might be useful if you can get it to hold RPM's at 1500-2000 RPM. You could just floor it at the line, build boost, and when you're ready to take off, it would go WOT. This might make stalling up the tranny a little easier / more consistent.

Ferrari Red F80
(#21)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-28-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleventeen
It might be useful if you can get it to hold RPM's at 1500-2000 RPM. You could just floor it at the line, build boost, and when you're ready to take off, it would go WOT. This might make stalling up the tranny a little easier / more consistent.
It can't hurt to test!

Burger Motorsports

(#22)
Old
Boost addict

Car: 08 e92 335i AW
Default 07-28-2011, 08:06 PM

Yes please implement this. I will move to the JB4 just for this reason!
(#23)
Old

Car: 335i 318ti
Default 07-28-2011, 08:07 PM

OK T,
Put down the soldering iron & make it a hijack feature.

I'm getting real jealous of the AT Boost Logs.
(#24)
Old
Level 10 Dungeon Master

Car: 08 335i
Default 07-28-2011, 11:43 PM

Definitely want this...I use it on the s2k and love it!
(#25)
Old
sehr schnelles Auto

Car: 335i
Default 07-29-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
That is the plan. I have to do some more back end work to get the targeting right, allow user adjustment, etc. Last night was just a "first crack at it" and I was surprised just how easy it actually was.
I was hoping to get something like this as a Christmas present but it will be great to see it for my birthday (in about 2 months) I will be more than happy to test it for you now that I have a pair of spare shafts at home so count me in

KDT
Closed Thread