N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Default JB4 Meth Integration Setup - 11-28-2010, 11:56 PM

Hey guys,

Wanted to put together a resource for JB4 meth users covering directions for setup, how integration works, etc. Will post some initial info here now and will update this thread as we go!

If using the JB4/FSB only (trunk mount or WW kit):

Priming system:

The FSB kits require JB4 firmware 7/3 or later. Check n54tech for it and email us if you're unable to find it.

The first time you install and any time you run the system dry you will need to prime the pump to get all of the air out of the pump and lines.

Disconnect the line from the nozzle and place it in a water bottle or bucket to catch the fluid.

Turn the ignition on and enter JB4 command mode. Go to option 7/5 (meth on oil temp) and while in command mode press the gas pedal to the floor to activate the pump and push the air out of the system. This generally takes 5-10 seconds and you can visually confirm the inlet and outlet lines are free of air bubbles. If you see air bubbles appearing in the line going towards the pump double check all fittings and lines to ensure they are tight.

Under the meth tab set Meth Flow Max (or Meth Flow Scaling) to 60. If using 91 octane set Meth Additive PSI (or Meth Boost Additive) to 30. If on 93 octane set to 40. This will increase boost roughtly 3-4psi when under full meth flow. When the system is operating normally expect to see a meth flow reading 60% or higher in dash and in JB4 logs. If air starts moving through the pump the meth flow value will quickly drop towards 0. The meth system is active on map 3 and disabled when using maps 1 and 2.

If using the CMGS/VC2 controller v1.10+ with FSB:

Connect the CMGS/VC2 orange wire to pin #15 on the JB4 DB25 connector.

Set methflow max to 100. If using 91 octane set Meth Additive PSI (or Meth Boost Additive) to 20. If on 93 octane set to 30. This will increase boost 2 and 3 PSI respectively when under full meth flow. When the system is operating normally expect to see a meth flow reading of 100% in dash and in JB4 logs.

If using the CMGS/VC2 controller v1.07 or 1.08 with flow sensor:

Connect the CMGS/VC2 orange wire to pin #15 on the JB4 DB25 connector.

Set your CMGS/VC2 parameter #12 (5V output mode - orange wire) to 0. Enabling it to output .1v per 100ml/min of flow. If you are using an alternative flow sensor consult with your flow sensor vendor for the appropriate settings. If you are using a previous version of the CMGS/VC2 you will need to upgrade it to 1.07 or higher to take full advantage of this feature. Firmware v1.07 has been designed specifically for progressive methanol mapping and that feature was not included in their 1.06 and previous firmware. CM offers a mail in firmware update program. Email info@coolingmist.com for details.

Using map 1 do a series of WOT pulls with your meth enabled and observe the meth parameter in the logging software to ensure proper movement. With X scaling set to 100 note the highest percentage observed.

If using 91 octane set Meth Additive PSI (or Meth Boost Additive) to 20. If on 93 octane set to 30. This will increase boost 2 and 3 PSI respectively when under full meth flow. When the system is operating normally expect to see a meth flow reading of 100% in dash and in JB4 logs.

Fill in the "Meth Flow Max" with something slightly lower than your maximum methanol flow. For example if you are seeing 40-45 you may want to select 40 here. This represents the point at which the JB4 will assume you are at your maximum flow and deliver the full meth additive boost increase.

Keep in mind progressive methanol mapping is only active when map 3 is selected. Once configured monitor timing advance and the meth signal in a log to ensure no drop outs and smooth operation.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2)
Old
Tri-state installer

Car: E28 535
Send a message via AIM to Matt@Camber-Toe
Default 11-29-2010, 12:04 AM

Looks nice
(#3)
Old

Default 11-29-2010, 12:24 AM

Wow this is awesome.

So this will otherwise work the " old school way" if i was to use a labonte FS, But in order to take full advantage i would need the CMGS/FS.

Seems like its coming along great, Simply cant wait at this point.

N54 coupe coming soon
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-29-2010, 12:25 AM

The Labonte AFAIK also has a 0-5v output so should work the same as a CMGS/VC2. Never tried it myself though.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 11-29-2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
The Labonte AFAIK also has a 0-5v output so should work the same as a CMGS/VC2. Never tried it myself though.
Well then, itll be something iall be looking into when i get my hands on a Jb4.

I dont want to take anything away from CM but i as well as others would like to explore different options.

If i could take advantage the new meth control system with just a isf-30 it would def be a plus.

N54 coupe coming soon
(#6)
Old

Car: 4 Wheels
Default 11-29-2010, 04:15 AM

For those Snow Performance users, this makes their kit 100% compatible with JB4 now. The Snow Performance flow gauge output on Safe Injection (yellow wire) is 0-1.5v output for 0ml/min - 1500 ml/min. Therefore .1v = 100ml/min. Woohoo!
(#7)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 11-29-2010, 08:28 AM

Testing it today.

Quickest ET - 12.016 @ 117.64mph
Fastest Trap - 12.089 @ 118.11mph
(#8)
Old
Velocity Challenged

Car: 2007 335i AT
Default 11-29-2010, 08:58 AM

Thanks T, this is great stuff. Will let you know how this works for me.
(#9)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-29-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmsmr12
Testing it today.
You'll need the latest firmware and interface then!

Burger Motorsports

(#10)
Old

Default 11-29-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
You sent it to me last night.

(#11)
Old
Velocity Challenged

Default 11-29-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
T, can you shoot me the latest firmware and I will take it for a spin.
(#12)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-29-2010, 11:03 AM

The latest is 11/29. If anyone needs it email me!

Burger Motorsports

(#13)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-29-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS
For those Snow Performance users, this makes their kit 100% compatible with JB4 now. The Snow Performance flow gauge output on Safe Injection (yellow wire) is 0-1.5v output for 0ml/min - 1500 ml/min. Therefore .1v = 100ml/min. Woohoo!
We still prefer and endorse the CM hardware but nice to hear other kits are also fully compatible.

Burger Motorsports

(#14)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-29-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxJslickxX
Well then, itll be something iall be looking into when i get my hands on a Jb4.

I dont want to take anything away from CM but i as well as others would like to explore different options.

If i could take advantage the new meth control system with just a isf-30 it would def be a plus.
If you already have an ISF-30 it will work fine. If you can keep it running.

Burger Motorsports

(#15)
Old

Default 11-29-2010, 11:40 AM

Terry,
Thanks for the newest new firmware. I am starting to have problems with your customer service. The problem is...yours is so good, it tends to make me expect this from other people...and they never measure up. Lol

(#16)
Old
Super Demigod

Send a message via AIM to themyst
Default 12-15-2010, 05:30 PM

Terry - is there any sort of methanol flow indicator feature for those of us who don't have a CMGS/VC2? Speaking for those with a SnowPerformance or IFS-30.

E90 LCI N54 6AT
(#17)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-15-2010, 05:42 PM

No meth dash indicator yet, but it's on the to do list as well. Do you guys prefer meth on the oil temp gauge, or just a static light to let you know meth is spraying at or above your user defined meth flow max? Of course with the boost gauge on fuel you'll see it's hitting 17-18psi instead of 12-13psi... So that is the first give away meth is flowing.

Burger Motorsports

(#18)
Old

Car: 2007 335i coupe
Default 12-15-2010, 06:03 PM

I would prefer a light that turns on if you're at nominal meth flow. My blue LED above the ashtray works fine now but sometimes I miss when it stops coming on.

2007 E92 N54, JB4 G5 ISO W/ BMS Flash, RB Turbos, Meth W/ FSB & CM10, BMS DCI, BMS OCC, CPE FMIC, AR Design CLDP's, DP Fix, Quaife LSD
(#19)
Old
Velocity Challenged

Default 12-15-2010, 08:41 PM

I would prefer a light.
(#20)
Old
Enginerd

Car: 2009 135i
Default 12-24-2010, 12:01 PM

If I have changed the scaling of the flow bars (at 950ml/min it was useless until I changed to 100ml/bar) I assume that does not change the scaling output on the orange wire?

If so all I should need to do is change the paramater #12 and be good to go?

Also, since I don't see any modifications in the harness thread, I assume the pin connection stays at the same place as the JB3?

--2009 BMW 135i--2016 Nissan Titan XD (Turbo Cummins ISV)--2016 VW Tiguan 2.0Tsi --1988 Beechcraft Bonanza--Suzuki GSX-R 1000--Honda CBR-600RR--

JB4 G5 ISO | MHD | E85 | Fuel-It S3 LPFP / PI | MFactory S3+ Clutch / SMFW / LSD / Mounts | Diff Lock | UUC Tranny Mounts | DwnPipes / Exhaust / FMIC | Chargepipe / Tial | KW V3s | HR Sways | HPA full M3 Suspension | BMS DCI / Oil Cooler Valve / Cowl Filters / 4bar / 2Step / OCC | RB PCV | Stri Gauges | Pole Position 225/265 | Installing: DR 6466ST
(#21)
Old

Car: 135I, Lotus Elise
Default 12-24-2010, 12:05 PM

the scaling of the orange wire is not affected by the scaling of the flow bars.

CM
(#22)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-24-2010, 12:06 PM

Same pin #15. Just check if you need the 20k resistor added. I don't think flow bar scaling affects the signal.

Burger Motorsports

(#23)
Old

Car: 1M, Subaru STi
Default 01-08-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS
If I am not using the gauge, what's the solution?
any chance to use the blue wires that goes from the controller to the injectors?

Connect the two BLUE wires to the two wires leading to a fuel injector using the provided wire splices, one blue wire to each of the two wires connecting to the injector. Any injector will suffice, so choose one that is easy to access. In carbureted applications, these leads can simply tied out of the way.

SOLD 1M: AW | Perf seats | Perf steering | Gruppe M intake system | Full Akrapovic exhaust system with DP's | AMS FMIC | KW V3 coilovers.
SOLD 135i 6MT: AW | BMW perf ext/int package | BMS dual cones | JB4 | AR CL *** | AMS FMIC | Snow Perf stg III meth kit | Quiafe LSD | KW coilovers.
135 1/4 mile ET: 1.68 60'ft, 11.901 @ 115.69
(#24)
Old

Car: 4 Wheels
Default 01-10-2011, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Aryan
If I am not using the gauge, what's the solution?
any chance to use the blue wires that goes from the controller to the injectors?

Connect the two BLUE wires to the two wires leading to a fuel injector using the provided wire splices, one blue wire to each of the two wires connecting to the injector. Any injector will suffice, so choose one that is easy to access. In carbureted applications, these leads can simply tied out of the way.
If you have safeinjection, then just connect the output for the gauge to the JB3 and you are done. This is direct plug and play now thanks to Terry!
(#25)
Old

Car: 2007 335i coupe
Default 01-10-2011, 06:17 AM

I'm using the orange wire from the CMGS to drive an LED to let me know when I'm spraying. Is there any way I can setup meth integration and keep my meth light?

2007 E92 N54, JB4 G5 ISO W/ BMS Flash, RB Turbos, Meth W/ FSB & CM10, BMS DCI, BMS OCC, CPE FMIC, AR Design CLDP's, DP Fix, Quaife LSD