N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i
Default Newb looking for useable power-need direction - 09-16-2018, 11:30 PM

Just got a 2008 335i sedan AT with just under 100,000 miles. Traded a 79 Trans Am for it and $4,500 on top my way. Car is stock besides wheels and tires I believe. Turbos sound great and have no wastage rattle and she drives tight. Some notable past cars are r56 mini, c6 vette, sq5, charger hellcat. Iím okay with spending the 4500 back into the car as needed. I need some direction as far as mods go though.

Car will be my daily and will see the occasional sales trip of 4-10hrs of driving in a day. Iím not looking to break hp level records, instead I want as much useable power as possible. What I mean is like with the hellcat, on certain roads you floor it at 65mph and it still didnít get solid traction or slightly get into it maybe 1/4 throttle in town and break loose at 45mph, donít even try launching one thinking youíll get close to the 3.6sec 0-60 on the streets. And I had 315ís in the back. All that is fun but not useable. How much power do these 335iís reliably put to the ground without it just being a bunch of wheel spin and the big hp number not transilating well unless your at the track on slicks and the track having been prepped? Just so yíall know imo there is a difference between blowing your tires up and slight wheel spin/traction loss while trying to accelerate hard, the latter is fine with me.

So to summerize: what power level for what I described as wanting and what would be the best as in most reliable way to get there on pump gas and no meth injection. At what point does the whp become to where you need drís and in a Race youíd expect useless in anything but a higher mph roll?
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 09-17-2018, 05:06 AM

BMS JB4
MHD Flash
BMS DCI
Phoenix Chargepipe
Phoenix Intercooler
Stage 1/2 LPFP
With those mods and ethanol blend you will be in the 400+Whp range.

You can find all those mods here:
http://www.burgertuning.com/BMW_N54_..._Upgrades.html

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 09-17-2018, 06:47 AM

So 400whp is where you cross that line already? I was prepared to do turbo swaps or possibly move to a single... Are there any single kits out there in the $3k range or less?

I read that the transmission is good till around 600whp/tq, what would be a budget friendly way to get 550whp or so?
(#4)
Old

Car: 2008 E93
Default 09-17-2018, 10:27 PM

It varies. Stock turbos can EASILY break traction at 400+ whp. Good tires and LSD and you can go North of 550whp and still enjoy it (useable). What price range are you looking to stay within would be the real question. 4500.00 max ? The more you do to the motor, the more supporting mods you will need. So be ready to factor in extra time and money depending on your goals.
(#5)
Old

Default 09-17-2018, 10:41 PM

It needs a new valve cover gasket so while i have it at the mechanic I would plan on doing a few more things while its there. Budget wise I don't want to go over the $4,500 and would only want to get close if I upgraded turbos due to them failing and they seem fine. I was thinking dual cone intake, jb4 with phone connectivity add on, vent boost gauge, vrsf ******* **'s, metal charge pipe with tial bov( is the bov worth it) and muffler delete... I'm on the fence about upgrading the intercooler and meth..

Intercooler... is it worth it if its just a fun daily, power wise will I see a big dif? Also if intercooler is a "must" then might as well go big, or???

Meth... its very foreign to me although I have researched it quite abit.. looks like a kit can be had for $500 or less... I have no where to store meth at my place really.. Also is there any washer fluid that works good that is easy to source like at an AutoZone etc? Not sure where to get meth around here ( Midland Tx ). Also why not run like a 5gal. tank of it in trunk to cut down on refills?
(#6)
Old

Default 09-17-2018, 10:58 PM

If stock turbos are fine, leave them for now. E85 available ? Fmic upgrade is a must IMO. more than likely you will need to upgrade LPFP, Ignition coils along with plugs for starters.
(#7)
Old

Default 09-17-2018, 11:03 PM

No e85 available unfortunately.. can you elaborate on the fmic please. Stock sized replacement from bms or go for the really big one for $200 more? Also do you mean replace those things or upgrade, if upgrade then to what? Also are you thinking just a stage1 lpfp in line to piggy back off the stock system?
(#8)
Old

Default 09-17-2018, 11:10 PM

You will need something to add octane. You say no E85 so maybe meth. If you go meth, IATs are not as big of a concern as with an ethanol blend. This will determine size of FMIC needed. Once you tune the car, you will probably misfire unless you have fresh plugs and coils. Thats why I mentioned those parts. As far as lpfp upgrade goes, it depends on power goals and fuel used to reach those goals.
(#9)
Old

Default 09-17-2018, 11:17 PM

Okay so tune up baisically before you tune. Could I just get the cheaper nms fmic and then add meth on a tune where it only kicks on when getting into higher boost? Also can someone answer wether it’s worth it to get a tial or hks bov with your charge pipe? Also why not rig up a larger tank ie 5gal for meth?
(#10)
Old

Default 09-17-2018, 11:24 PM

1. Yes
2. Depending on boost, not needed.
3. Fire hazard
(#11)
Old

Default 09-17-2018, 11:29 PM

Does the aftermarket bov affect the sound much? Also is there any washer fluid that works well In place of buying meth and running it straight or mixing?
(#12)
Old

Default 09-17-2018, 11:34 PM

1.yes, N54 has recirculating diverter valves. Anything that VTA will be louder.
2. I dont use meth, so I wont recommend anything regarding that.
(#13)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-18-2018, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lachlan
Does the aftermarket bov affect the sound much? Also is there any washer fluid that works well In place of buying meth and running it straight or mixing?
Yes, the BOV is a bit louder but so will the stock diverter valves once you start modding with intake and tune.

I think windex was like 30% methanol IIRC? I use 100% methanol on my cars, but now with e85 It's not needed.

Go with the bigger intercooler just to be safe, it's worth it.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#14)
Old

Default 09-18-2018, 06:27 AM

Will I see boost high enough to need a bov on stock turbos? How about if the stock turbos get a minor upgrade in the future? Wouldnt want to have to buy a new charge pipe later if I upgrade turbos..
(#15)
Old

Default 09-18-2018, 06:28 AM

Also go with e chasis or e chasis race?
(#16)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-18-2018, 06:47 AM

Stock diverter valves are fine, but It always depends on your end goal. Best to be safe than sorry and just get the one with the TIAL BOV.

E chassis Race is what you want. Should be in stock any day now, waiting for them to drop it off from the container.

Burger Motorsports

(#17)
Old

Default 09-18-2018, 07:22 AM

Do yall do discounts if I order all that from you in one order? Actually yall dont have down pipe do you?
(#18)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-18-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lachlan
Do yall do discounts if I order all that from you in one order? Actually yall dont have down pipe do you?
We don't have discounts. We keep our prices competitively low for everyone to reap the benefits

We don't carry that, sorry.

Burger Motorsports