N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: BMW 335I N54
Default can WG actuators be adjusted wrong ? - 09-17-2018, 08:46 AM

hey all

after having tried everything in the book on getting rid of boost occilations and overboost on a brandnew set of OEM rebuild turbos, I was wondering if it could be possible that the wastegate actuators are actually set too tight, making it impossible for the boost control to get it right?... if so how could I check if this is the case?..

E92 N54 2007 (kline)
mods:CP + TIAL, MMP in & outlets, BMS 10 C ALC/H2O, JB4 mhd BEF , pipesdown + no cats, 5" stepped wagner IC , öhlins shocks & springs , M3 swaybar front
(#2)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 09-17-2018, 09:25 AM

yes, that is possible. The actuator rods can be manually adjusted by threading ... there are lots of threads on it.

2009 535i Sport - 548whp
Software :
JB4 G5 | MHD | Trebila Tune | XHP Stage 3
Hardware: VTT GC Lites | MFactory Helical LSD | Inlets | Outlet | VRSF 3" D-P's | VRSF 7" FMIC | Fuel-It! S2 LPFP | Fuel-It! TBI | BMS DCI | ER CP | Forge DV's | Koni FSD

(#3)
Old

Default 09-17-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessIsMore
yes, that is possible. The actuator rods can be manually adjusted by threading ... there are lots of threads on it.
yes I know they can be adjusted, mostly its because of rattle people do it , I was just wondering if it could be possible somehow to test if they really are too tight.. before I just start to mess with adjusting them..

I know they are not sticking, as I have visually confirmed the arms moving freely back and forth when applying vacuum directly to them.

E92 N54 2007 (kline)
mods:CP + TIAL, MMP in & outlets, BMS 10 C ALC/H2O, JB4 mhd BEF , pipesdown + no cats, 5" stepped wagner IC , öhlins shocks & springs , M3 swaybar front
(#4)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default 09-17-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic335IM3
yes I know they can be adjusted, mostly its because of rattle people do it , I was just wondering if it could be possible somehow to test if they really are too tight.. before I just start to mess with adjusting them..

I know they are not sticking, as I have visually confirmed the arms moving freely back and forth when applying vacuum directly to them.
They 100% need to be adjusted correctly, so you may want to confirm with the turbo builder that they are indeed adjusted properly. If they are not sure, as if it something they were unaware of how to accomplish, then it certainly could be your issue.

However as we adjust all of our sets of course and if you were to re-adjust them we'd be more worried that you'd do it incorrectly than had they been mis-adjusted from us, meaning do not be so quick to tinker if they are assured to have already been done.

Rob

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#5)
Old

Default 09-17-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo
They 100% need to be adjusted correctly, so you may want to confirm with the turbo builder that they are indeed adjusted properly. If they are not sure, as if it something they were unaware of how to accomplish, then it certainly could be your issue.

However as we adjust all of our sets of course and if you were to re-adjust them we'd be more worried that you'd do it incorrectly than had they been mis-adjusted from us, meaning do not be so quick to tinker if they are assured to have already been done.

Rob
yes thats my point with this thread, I really dont want to mess with them unless Im sure that this is the issue any pointers to what I could try out which would indicate a problem in this area?

E92 N54 2007 (kline)
(#6)
Old
Stalker

Default 09-17-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
yes thats my point with this thread, I really dont want to mess with them unless Im sure that this is the issue any pointers to what I could try out which would indicate a problem in this area?
Would really start with contacting your turbo builder for the reassurance that they 100% know what they are doing and are doing it right, if you got the reassurance then let it be and go from there.

Rob

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#7)
Old

Car: 2007 e60 5 series
Default 09-18-2018, 02:30 AM

I'm replacing new acuators on my new rebuilt stage ones. I've installed new wastegates, since your welding 100% location is never accurate. What I've found is 5.9 inches is the length just as the gates of touches the seat, not to tight, but enough to rotate. I'm sure since RB responed, he can confirm this, don't understand why he couldn't just tell you, instead of a simple answer.
(#8)
Old
Stalker

Default 09-18-2018, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorB
I'm replacing new acuators on my new rebuilt stage ones. I've installed new wastegates, since your welding 100% location is never accurate. What I've found is 5.9 inches is the length just as the gates of touches the seat, not to tight, but enough to rotate. I'm sure since RB responed, he can confirm this, don't understand why he couldn't just tell you, instead of a simple answer.
Over the past 8 years we have probably put specific WG actuator adjustment directions on the internet about 30x. Due to this we are certain thousands of people have had the information offered to them, likely including yourself. You are all welcome for the assistance and time we have taken to help and share.

As for the OP he has mentioned he has turbos that were freshly rebuilt, and to follow those instructions he'd have to otherwise work many hours to accomplish the feat- and possibly not even be successful on the front turbo (if it were to need adjustment) as they are seemingly installed which further complicates things. This all said it would behoove him to get something absolute from the persons who he entrusted to rebuild his turbos before spending all the time needed to do this himself. In short it is all about taking some steps and sound logical approaches to get to the root cause.

Rob

(#9)
Old

Default 09-18-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorB
thank you very much m8

5.9 measured like on the attached pic?
Attached Images

E92 N54 2007 (kline)
(#10)
Old
Stalker

Default 09-18-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
thank you very much m8

5.9 measured like on the attached pic?
The only real way to check this is by pulling the downpiiiippppess, applying vacuum with hand pump to each actuator, and feeling the flapper movement at certain vacuum levels. It is quite the job with the turbos installed, thus you may want to reach back out to your turbo builder to see if they knew what was going on... otherwise you are going to be in for a good effort here.

(#11)
Old

Default 09-19-2018, 03:24 AM

Yes, that's going to be the measurement points, of course assuming the adjustments are being made off the engine. I'm going to say this has nothing to do with your turbo builder knowing your specs. I'd find that hard to believe that anyone who built your turbo made a specific wg adjustment just for you, lol.
(#12)
Old

Default 09-19-2018, 09:49 AM

I've been digging into this looking for answers myself, since I replaced all the parts with new stuff. I don't want to throw incorrect info out there. The arm is a estimate and can have variances from OEM to reman, to rebuilt, to used. The flapper has to sit on it's seat at the right tension. Turbo Lab has a few great videos pertaining to n54 turbos.
(#13)
Old
Stalker

Default 09-19-2018, 10:30 AM

You can not adjust wastegates like this, by a simple measurement. If you guys are looking actually accomplish the adjustment, correctly, you will need to remove the downpiiiiiipes and use a mitivac hand vacuum pump on the actuators to readjust them. As stated, quite the pain, which may not be necessary if was just recently done correctly but a reputable turbo builder. If in doubt and ready to take off your downpiiiiiipes let us know and we will dig up the thread for a proper method of adjusting them.

(#14)
Old

Default 09-19-2018, 02:14 PM

I know it's not a simple measurement,I've actually looked farther into this and found more useful info regarding wg adjustments. I found a thread on another site that shower a measurement being used, could be from the factory on a new turbo. It didn't make sence that when the gates are replaced there will always be some variances and the throw has to be adjusted accordingly. Turbo Lab has an excellent video showing this very procedure. If I could delete my first response, I would.
(#15)
Old

Car: 07 E90 335i
Default 09-19-2018, 04:30 PM

https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36811

basic idea of what they are talking about
(#16)
Old
Stalker

Default 09-19-2018, 05:31 PM

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=700831

(#17)
Old

Default 09-20-2018, 08:19 AM

thx for all your replies , I have also seen the turbo labs video and will check out the rear turbo arm , and go on from there ;-)

E92 N54 2007 (kline)