N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 535i Sport
Send a message via Yahoo to Ocean
Default MFactory LSD and Warranty - 10-01-2017, 09:08 AM

A couple of months ago I noticed a strange sound whenever I took foot of the throttle and coasted. Couldn't figure out exactly what was causing it, but it was speed sensitive and came from the drive train. Turned out to be the diff. We took it off the car and opened it up. Discovered that the MFactory LSD I have had for 3 years had snapped all 10 bolts holding it together. The carrier was full of bolt pieces and the ring gears had been chipped. The fluid was milky from ground up metal and the carrier itself was damaged.

I contacted MFactory and they told me they had issued a recall on these LSDs back in May 2015. I never received that notice, but they honored the warranty. Not only that, they shipped me a brand new carrier with the rebuilt LSD installed. Their turnaround time was about 2-3 days from when they received the damaged LSD from me. Kudos to Synchrotech who did the rebuild for MFactory.

I am happy to have the LSD back in my car as the stock carrier just doesn't handle the torque very well. I have to turn traction control off to keep the nannies from cutting power all the time. Even then the rears don't pull the same. Any tuned RWD car should have a good LSD, else the tires don't grab the road surface the same way. My car sucked to drive while the LSD was being repaired. I had two weeks of being reminded what a big difference it makes.

Thanks to MFactory and Michael Yip for excellent support and warranty.
Ditto to David at Synchrotech.

Sleeper 5 series
Performance: Pro tuned MHD, xHP Stage 3 TCU flash, DCI, AR kittens, ER FMIC & CP, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP w ported rail, RB turbos, RB inlets, KW V2, Mfactory LSD
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 digital preamp, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, CIC iDrive upgrade
(#2)
Old

Default 10-02-2017, 09:13 PM

Thanks for the feedback! Michael has always been very responsive

07 E92 MT RB Turbos-600whp
08 E82 Built engine/trans Speedtech ST 6466
(#3)
Old

Car: 335i CDV
Default 10-03-2017, 11:28 AM

Michael is GREAT! Mfactory is Great!

I had the same issue recently, and Michael offered me to swap diff housing completely with their new/rebuilt one. I simply had my mech friend swap it, and UPS picked up the old one that day. Amazing care from Mfacotry. They are LEGIT!

I am definitely purchasing their product lineup for n54 platform because I am planning to do serious modification once my Tesla Model 3 arrives next year.

Getting there:
'07 E92 6mt,
MMP stage3 hybrid,
MMP Inlet/Outlet,
MHD BMS hybrid E85 BEF,
3.5 bar,
E45,
Fuel-it! Stage 2 standard,
FBO,
Synchrotech(MFactory),
Bimmerlife R8 coils,
N20 plugs(0.020")
(#4)
Old

Car: 2007 335i E93
Default 10-04-2017, 12:04 AM

Michael at mFactory is very responsive and is very helpful. I bought a fully built helical LSD from them 3yrs ago and it's still running very strong. When they issued the recall for the bolts, I emailed him and he confirmed within 12hrs that my diff was not affected.
I bought their sport axles/half-shafts earlier this year.
When their carbon center driveshaft is ready, I'll be buying from them.
(#5)
Old

Car: 335i e90
Default 10-07-2017, 08:46 PM

Awesome report, the Mfactory crew was great to work with and I am loving mine. Agreed, it's a must have for any performance car.

'07 e90