N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1876)
Old

Car: 2017 Q50 3.0T Premium RWD
Default 12-31-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie1313
with the jb1 are there different maps already programmed? I didn't know u had a few map choices I thought there was just one?
Check post #1 for details on Maps.
(#1877)
Old

Car: 2018 Q50 3.0t Luxe AWD
Default 12-31-2017, 02:43 PM

Hi Terry,

For the Dedicated JB4 unit (not upgraded from JB1)
do I have to update any new firmware for that?
Does all newly shipped JB4 has the current firmware installed to the unit?
(#1878)
Old

Car: 2018 q50 red sport
Default 12-31-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobohm
Check post #1 for details on Maps.
hey jr I checked out the first post it helped still alittle hazie, so am I correct in saying there are per programmed maps u can use u just cant modify the ones that are programmed ?
(#1879)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-31-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awgd8
Hi Terry,

For the Dedicated JB4 unit (not upgraded from JB1)
do I have to update any new firmware for that?
Does all newly shipped JB4 has the current firmware installed to the unit?
No need to update firmware on new systems, it will have the latest stable production firmware loaded.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1880)
Old

Default 12-31-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
hey jr I checked out the first post it helped still alittle hazie, so am I correct in saying there are per programmed maps u can use u just cant modify the ones that are programmed ?
On the JB1 there are three Maps:

Map 0: Stage1 Disabled (Good for reminding yourself of the JB1’s impact!)
Map 1: Default Map (+3psi over stock - Good starting place)
Map 3: Custom Target Map (Here is where if you have good fuel (93 Octane and up) and you want a bit more boost over the Map 1 (+3) you can play with the Boost Safety & DWP Numbers.)

Note: You will need either the BMS Data Cable attached to a laptop running the JB4 app OR my favorite, the JB4 Bluetooth Kit and the JB4 App running on your cell phone (well worth the investment if you are going to do logging and frequent map changes!)

FYI: My SS on a E30 fuel blend could run a Map 3 with a Boost Safety number of 7.2 and a DWP number of 38. Note you will want to ease up the Boost number and submit Terry some logs to review before just jumping to that level as everyone’s logs are going to be different due to a large number of variables.

Last edited by jrobohm; 12-31-2017 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: Typo
(#1881)
Old

Default 12-31-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:

Map 3: Custom Target Map (Here is where if you have good fuel (93 Octane and up) and you want a bit more boost over the Map 1 (+3) you can play with the Boost Safety & DWP Numbers.)

Note: You will need either the BMS Data Cable attached to a laptop running the JB4 app OR my favorite, the JB4 Bluetooth Kit and the JB4 App running on your cell phone (well worth the investment if you are going to do logging and frequent map changes!)

FYI: My SS on a E30 fuel blend could run a Map 3 with a Boost Safety number of 7.2 and a DWP number of 38. Note you will want to ease up the Boost number and submit Terry some logs to review before just jumping to that level as everyone’s logs are going to be different due to a large number of variables.
thanks so much now I understand and can order!!!
(#1882)
Old

Default 12-31-2017, 08:38 PM

Just an FYI, Visconti ( as our guinea pig ) posted on instagram of an RS on 91 octane of fuel only , hitting 441 hp / 451 torque @ 17 psi. I guess
+3 or +4 PSI on the RS on 93 Octane is still way safer.
(#1883)
Old

Default 12-31-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awgd8
Just an FYI, Visconti ( as our guinea pig ) posted on instagram of an RS on 91 octane of fuel only , hitting 441 hp / 451 torque @ 17 psi. I guess
+3 or +4 PSI on the RS on 93 Octane is still way safer.
If I read the post correctly he has one of his spiffy IC installed along with an exhaust mod + his EcuTek flash. Seems like a lot of items to get what on a JB4 with E30 fuel we can nearly get to w/o all of the dealership challenges and costs.
(#1884)
Old

Default 12-31-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
If I read the post correctly he has one of his spiffy IC installed along with an exhaust mod + his EcuTek flash. Seems like a lot of items to get what on a JB4 with E30 fuel we can nearly get to w/o all of the dealership challenges and costs.
It’s a customer car (RS). I’m posting this to verify that +3 psi and +4 psi on 93 octane is still safe for the RS. I guess no need for E85?
(#1885)
Old

Car: Q50 Red Sport
Default 12-31-2017, 10:23 PM

I run +3 on JB4 with 93 on my 2016 RS all day with no probs
(#1886)
Old

Default 01-01-2018, 12:00 AM

Anyone uses an AFe drop in wet air filter? I’m not a fan of K&N. I used that before. I find the Afe Pro dry S is better, no oiling , but seems to make my gold oil to turn darker quickly. I guess it doesn’t filter well.
(#1887)
Old

Default 01-01-2018, 02:17 AM

hey have u guys ever run into this problem. some guy is saying with catalytic converters at all and straight ***** the turbos keep spooling. with no resistance the turbos don't want to come down.. anyone have that problem,
sorry I should mention has noting to due with the tune on here, I'm just asking a general tech ? because I see a lot of people post of great hp gains with down *****... thanks
(#1888)
Old

Car: q60
Default 01-01-2018, 10:04 AM

Happy New Year all,

Terry, when you get back to the board can you pls have a quick look at this log. Am I ok with the boost or should I turn it down a bit? It's a map 6 running 4.6 PSI starting to taper at 5500rpm. Running 93 or 94 octane.

I have a 3" ******** and exhaust and ambient air temp is around -5F at the time.

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: csv map 6 4.6psi tapered.csv (7.5 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by mattds; 01-01-2018 at 12:32 PM..
(#1889)
Old

Car: 2017 Q50 3.0t (300hp) AWD
Default 01-01-2018, 02:44 PM

happy New Year to Everyone, may 2018 bring some excitement for our Q’s

2017 Q50 3.0t Silver Sport (AWD)
(#1890)
Old

Car: Q50
Default 01-01-2018, 02:56 PM

Hey guys, just joined the club. I was debating between a RS and a SS but I found a great deal on a low mile 17' RS.

Going to be shopping around for exhausts and JB4 is on the agenda.

17' Q50 RS

Last edited by 5oh_mo; 01-01-2018 at 03:01 PM..
(#1891)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-01-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5oh_mo
Hey guys, just joined the club. I was debating between a RS and a SS but I found a great deal on a low mile 17' RS.

Going to be shopping around for exhausts and JB4 is on the agenda.
Congrats! You're going to love the car.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1892)
Old

Car: 2016 Q50 Red Sport
Default 01-01-2018, 05:16 PM

Ever since I installed my Stage 1 I have been looking for an excuse to floor it. It's a lot of excitement with this type of power in such a nice car without having too much money tied up in it.

2016 Q50 Red Sport
Ecutek tuned
Infiniti Sport Mufflers
(#1893)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-01-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattds
Happy New Year all,

Terry, when you get back to the board can you pls have a quick look at this log. Am I ok with the boost or should I turn it down a bit? It's a map 6 running 4.6 PSI starting to taper at 5500rpm. Running 93 or 94 octane.

I have a 3" ******** and exhaust and ambient air temp is around -5F at the time.

Thanks!
Seems fine to me, the cold weather is probably helping. I'd evaluate it again when it warms up for sure.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#1894)
Old

Car: q60
Default 01-01-2018, 11:29 PM

Thank you for the quick response and excellent service as usual!
(#1895)
Old

Car: 2017 Infiniti Q60S AWD
Default 01-02-2018, 08:27 AM

Terry, what are you thoughts about boost creep? 1st time I've heard of the term, brought up by another tuner on another forum...

Let’s begin with what boost creep is – mostly taken right from Garrets website btw.

Boost creep is a condition of rising boost levels past what the predetermined level has been set at. Boost creep is caused by a fully opened Wastegates not being able to flow enough exhaust to bypass the exhaust turbine via the Wastegates itself. For example, if your boost is set to 12psi, and you go into full boost, you will see a quick rise to 12 or 13psi, but as the rpm's increase, the boost levels also increase beyond what the boost controller is calling for. Boost creep is typically more pronounced at higher rpm's since there is more exhaust flow present for the Wastegates to bypass. Boost creep is most commonly observed in areas that have very low ambient temperatures as well as low elevation – sea level.

Effective methods of avoiding or eliminating boost creep include porting the internal Wastegates opening to allow more airflow out of the turbine, or to use an external Wastegates. Not having a free flow (or *******) exhaust system can help prevent boost creep.

Why do we bring this up?

We are tuning more and more of these cars and finding that people who have free flow ***-less exhaust are experiencing boost creep like we have never seen before on any other platform. Especially now that it's getting colder out.

To be clear, we are not talking about boost spikes on gear shifts.

We have always found that as people started adding aftermarket ***** - muffler delete or lower ********* that the boost control was a lot more touchy. But it was something that could always been tuned when you had proper control - EcuTek.

2017 Q60 Red Sport AWD Iridium Blue / Monaco Red / Premium Plus Package 3.0t Sport / XPEL Clear Bra - Full Hood, Fenders, Doors, Mirrors, Rockers, A-Pillars, and Roof & Rear Qtr (Partial) / FI Full D Ps & CBE / Stoptech Trophy BBK FR & RR w/SS-Braided Brake Lines / Infiniti HE / Infiniti Intakes / AMS LPFP & HPFP (not installed) / Ecutek Tune / BMS Pedal Tuner / Infiniti Radiant Sport Grille / EMM Tuning CF Foglight Finishers / CF Duckbill RR Spoiler / Mishimoto OCC / Stillen RSB & SPL End Links
(#1896)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-02-2018, 10:18 AM

Boost creep would be caused by EGT increasing and the resulting larger exhaust volume overwhelming the factory wasteagate. I would not expect that to happen with the factory turbo system and we haven't seen any evidence of it during plenty of long 1/2 mile races. It's normally only an issue with poorly designed aftermarket turbo systems, specifically ones that have too small or too restrictive a wastegate. I also don't see what role typical turbo back exhaust modifications would play on it. If anything they would help the issue, not cause it.

Burger Motorsports

(#1897)
Old

Car: 2016 Q50 Red Sport
Default 01-02-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:

Do you have to have JB4 to change Maps or can you still makes these changes with the Data cable on JB1?

2016 Q50 Red Sport
Ecutek tuned
Infiniti Sport Mufflers
(#1898)
Old

Default 01-02-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QFitty
Do you have to have JB4 to change Maps or can you still makes these changes with the Data cable on JB1?
Both the JB1 & JB4 have the ability for Map changing. The JB4 has additional Maps and uses the extra CANbus data to allow for finer tuning of Boost as a function of the throttle (makes for a smoother acceleration IMHO.) As for changing the Maps and/or logging of either the JB1 or JB4 a BMS Data cable or the JB4 BT Kit is required.
(#1899)
Old

Default 01-03-2018, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Both the JB1 & JB4 have the ability for Map changing. The JB4 has additional Maps and uses the extra CANbus data to allow for finer tuning of Boost as a function of the throttle (makes for a smoother acceleration IMHO.) As for changing the Maps and/or logging of either the JB1 or JB4 a BMS Data cable or the JB4 BT Kit is required.
does the map change have to be done on the car, lets say u wanted to take off the jb1 and connect it to your pc in the house can u do that or u have to have a laptop and it has to be done while plugged into the car? thanks
(#1900)
Old

Car: 2017 Q50 3.0t (300hp) AWD
Default 01-03-2018, 05:17 AM

Quote:
does the map change have to be done on the car, lets say u wanted to take off the jb1 and connect it to your pc in the house can u do that or u have to have a laptop and it has to be done while plugged into the car? thanks
In my experience I did with laptop while it was connnected to the car jb1

2017 Q50 3.0t Silver Sport (AWD)