N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#176)
Old

Car: 2011 335xi
Default 10-14-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Same map can be used. Adds no power though. See dyno comparison here: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22563
Terry, didn't you learn a few things since then? I remember a thread where you found some maps that you didn't know about back then. Was that only for Cobb boost control? I can't remember exactly anymore.
(#177)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-14-2014, 01:55 PM

That thread has the current back end flash info as it relates to OEM turbos for the N55.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#178)
Old

Car: 2011 135i
Default 10-16-2014, 01:21 AM

So I'm thinking of reinstalling my JB4 but want some clarification on how I switch between different fuels.

eg.
If I have a Vargas turbo, shotgun hpfp and upgraded lpfp and want to run 100% e85 then could I potentially do it with the backend flash you provide?

Then if I had to run normal 98ron petrol do I have to switch flashes or would changing maps with the JB4 be enough?
(#179)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-16-2014, 08:13 AM

We'd have to custom make a 100% E85 back end flash. Once the shotgun is installed do a log and throw it on the support section or email it in and we'll get to work on that.

If using 100% E85 map and going to pump you'd need to also change the flash map. The fuel scalars, timing advance, etc, would all be set wrong to use that flash with straight pump gas.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#180)
Old

Car: X1 35i X-drive X-line
Default 10-17-2014, 06:41 AM

Terry, for those of us that can't get a back en flash, an additional injector can be an option? Maybe using the nitrous activation cable? For example: https://splitsec.com/product-categor...r-controllers/

I'm no expert, but I do remember that was the solution for fuel needs back in the days.
(#181)
Old

Default 10-18-2014, 02:51 AM

If I was able to pick up a cobb v2 used would that work for a back end flash?

JB4 S2 ISO|BMS Meth kit|BMS DP|ER CP|AA Sport FMIC|COBB V2 Backend|E50 BLEND|DCT N55
(#182)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 10-18-2014, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow135i
If I was able to pick up a cobb v2 used would that work for a back end flash?
why are you asking basically the same question again. Yes, if it has been unmarried from the previous owners car then you can install any flash you like with it.
(#183)
Old

Default 10-18-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare86
why are you asking basically the same question again. Yes, if it has been unmarried from the previous owners car then you can install any flash you like with it.
Well I tried searching for the answer but I'm new to this platform and don't want to drop hundreds of dollars on a device that may not be compatible. Thank you for your help though.

JB4 S2 ISO|BMS Meth kit|BMS DP|ER CP|AA Sport FMIC|COBB V2 Backend|E50 BLEND|DCT N55
(#184)
Old

Car: 2011 e92 n55 xDrive 6MT
Default 10-21-2014, 08:30 AM

Hi, Terry, I am thinking of going with the Vargas stage 1 in my FBO E92 N55. I understand that I will likely be able to carry 17psi (maybe more?) all the way to redline with that unit and the factory fuel system. Aside from setting a custom boost curve on map 6, will any of the maps compensate for this extra flow or are they all programmed to taper off quite a bit in the high revs like it does with the stock turbo?

In short, will I be able to capitalize on the extra air flow using any map other than 6?

Thanks for your time!

2011 E92 N55 xDrive 6MT
Pure Stg 2 | DV+ | Pure inlet | MHD/JB4
Stage 2 lpfp | BMS Intake | Shifteck 4-inch "expansion chamber" | MXP catback
VRSF 7" FMIC | ECS 2-piece rotors
255/40-18 square | 8.5x18 ET35
Fortune Auto MSC-1 coilovers 8k/10k
(#185)
Old

Default 10-21-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryj00
Hi, Terry, I am thinking of going with the Vargas stage 1 in my FBO E92 N55. I understand that I will likely be able to carry 17psi (maybe more?) all the way to redline with that unit and the factory fuel system. Aside from setting a custom boost curve on map 6, will any of the maps compensate for this extra flow or are they all programmed to taper off quite a bit in the high revs like it does with the stock turbo?

In short, will I be able to capitalize on the extra air flow using any map other than 6?

Thanks for your time!
Not fully, no. Map 6 is pretty easy to set up. I am finishing up my Pure stage 1 install tonight.
(#186)
Old

Default 10-21-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETmn
Not fully, no. Map 6 is pretty easy to set up. I am finishing up my Pure stage 1 install tonight.
OK, thanks. Definitely interested in your results.

2011 E92 N55 xDrive 6MT
(#187)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-21-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryj00

Thanks for your time!
Adding in the 3.5 bar TMAP sensor will enable the JB4 to hold more boost to redline on all maps.

Burger Motorsports

(#188)
Old

Default 10-21-2014, 09:48 AM

Reaallllly...

So if I add the 3.5 bar TMAP sensor, I would be able to enjoy the flexibility of map 5 but with overall higher boost levels...i.e. no tapering up high?

2011 E92 N55 xDrive 6MT
(#189)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-21-2014, 09:54 AM

Yes. Once equipped with the 3.5 bar the JB4 uses a different set of map targets.

Burger Motorsports

(#190)
Old

Default 10-22-2014, 08:27 AM

Couple quick question for dct equipped equipped cars that can run the backend flash:

1. If I have a DCT car with PURE upgrade how do I apply more pressure to clamping pressure on clutch plates? does the base backend flash already do this for my application 98GOB?

2. For the stock fuel system, is E40-E60 fuel ok to log with for base suggested settings on custom map 6 with low targets like 16psi? If not, what would be the highest ethanol content that would be safe on the stock fuel system?

Thanks for the informative thread.
(#191)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-22-2014, 08:48 AM

We've already increased it to the maximum with the current back end flash, at least what we believe to be the maximum. If slipping continues with the back end flash in place let us know and we can try reported torque even higher.

Burger Motorsports

(#192)
Old

Default 10-22-2014, 10:27 AM

Thanks Terry. What ethanol mix do you recommend with the stock fuel system and stage 1 turbo? We have 91 octane in ca, would some e85 be required to bump up the octane a little bit?
(#193)
Old

Default 10-22-2014, 12:14 PM

You should be safe starting with E30 and most cars are ok with E40.
(#194)
Old

Default 10-27-2014, 01:28 PM

I have my cobb v2 updated and ready to go but I am confused as where I find this special stage 0 map for my back end flash. Sorry to be the newb!

(#195)
Old
Demigod

Car: 12' 135i
Default 10-27-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
I have my cobb v2 updated and ready to go but I am confused as where I find this special stage 0 map for my back end flash. Sorry to be the newb!
just put JB4 in MAP 0 before you flash the appropiate backend

18 Glacier white RS3
#PURETURBOS
#FUELIT
(#196)
Old

Default 10-27-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newguy123
just put JB4 in MAP 0 before you flash the appropiate backend
So I put jb4 on 0 and then what map do I i install from cobb? Sorry I'm new to this? Is there a special cobb map I need? Do I go back to jb4 or just run cobb?

(#197)
Old
Tuner

Default 10-27-2014, 02:33 PM

The BMS Cobb maps are in the first post. Load the appropriate one. Then use the JB4 as normal.

Burger Motorsports

(#198)
Old
Demigod

Default 10-27-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
So I put jb4 on 0 and then what map do I i install from cobb? Sorry I'm new to this? Is there a special cobb map I need? Do I go back to jb4 or just run cobb?
When you plug Cobb into obd port it will tell you what ecu version you have. For example mine was 98GOB. So write it down after it tells you your ecu version. Then go to the front page of this thread and download the attatched specific file for your ecu version into Cobb access port manager on your computer. Load that file into your Cobb unit then flash the car....

18 Glacier white RS3
#PURETURBOS
#FUELIT
(#199)
Old

Default 10-27-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newguy123
When you plug Cobb into obd port it will tell you what ecu version you have. For example mine was 98GOB. So write it down after it tells you your ecu version. Then go to the front page of this thread and download the attatched specific file for your ecu version into Cobb access port manager on your computer. Load that file into your Cobb unit then flash the car....
yea I am 98g0b. I have the map downloaded now and uploaded to my cobb. I will install cobb and back up ecu data while on jb4 map 0 then flash ecu with special map. then unhook cobb throw it in the glovebox and change back to desired jb4. Sound right?

(#200)
Old
Demigod

Default 10-27-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
yea I am 98g0b. I have the map downloaded now and uploaded to my cobb. I will install cobb and back up ecu data while on jb4 map 0 then flash ecu with special map. then unhook cobb throw it in the glovebox and change back to desired jb4. Sound right?
correct. id take a few logs after you drive around and post them up in support section

18 Glacier white RS3
#PURETURBOS
#FUELIT