N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 535i
Default RB Twos Plus - First Log - 11-27-2020, 02:39 AM

Just had my RB Twos Plus installed the other night. Super happy with initial results, but trying to get the car dialed in on lower boost before ramping things up a bit (also needing some more mods before pushing further).

07 E90 335i (117k miles):

RB Twos Plus
JB4 + MHD Hybrid Race BEF
VRSF 7.5" FMIC
VRSF ***
MMP Inlets / VRSF Aluminum Outlets
BMS DCI
VRSF CP w/ TiAL BOV
E30 fuel (no fueling mods)

Run is on map 1 and I set a boost limit to attempt to keep things modest while I monitor the car in the early stages. Obviously stock fueling isn't going to cut it in the longer-run so LPFP will be on by next week.

Anyways, logs look decent to me apart from some overboost and AFR's are a little on the lean side. Especially since the timing looks fairly aggressive for E30 fueling. Though, it was a 30 night and IAT's were pretty low.

3 of the 4 O2 sensors are brand new and adaptations were reset today. The 4th O2 sensor only has about 5k miles on it. I would be inclined to say Im leaning out a little bit due to stock fueling system on E30. However, fuel pumps and trims all look OK.

Any thoughts on why I'm leaning out a bit and/or how to adjust boost to get it back on target? Would really love to keep things under 15psi while I get some more data. Any inputs are greatly appreciated!
Attached Files
File Type: csv P32_M1_R1_201126_224502.csv (7.0 KB, 17 views)

2007 335i - JB4 + MHD BEF, RB Twos Plus, BMS DCI, VRSF **, VRSF 7.5" FMIC, VRSF CP w/ TiAL BOV, MMP inlets, VRSF aluminum outlets, XHP Stage 3, TC Kline SA, M3 F/R control arms
2008 535i
N54

Last edited by zach1328; 11-27-2020 at 03:56 PM..
(#2)
Old

Car: 08 E90 335i
Default 11-27-2020, 09:53 AM

You need to be running a minimum of e40 if you’re using a E85 BEF map. I would definitely upgrade your lpfp and until you do I would use the pump bef.

08 E90 335i - MONTEGO BLUE - JB4/MHD E85 BEF
BMS DCI - BMS OCC - NRW CARBON COWL FILTERS
MMP CHARGEPIPE - TIAL BOV - VRSF 7.5 RACE FMIC
VRSF DPs - VRSF INLETS - VRSF OUTLETS
BMS PEDAL TUNER - RB PCV VALVE - 3.5 BAR TMAP
NGK 97506 @.022 - PFS STAGE 2 LPFP - H&R SPRINGS
SPOOL PERFORMANCE ETHANOL ANALYZER
MISHIMOTO 25 ROW OIL COOLER
BMS SPORT OIL COOLER VALVE - NRW V1 PADDLES
MISHIMOTO 15 ROW TRANSMISSION COOLER
19 666m WHEELS - HANKOOK VENTUS V12 EVO 2s
(#3)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 E93
Default 11-27-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rule77
You need to be running a minimum of e40 if youre using a E85 BEF map. I would definitely upgrade your lpfp and until you do I would use the pump bef.
I believe he is pump bef which would explain trims climbing a bit.
(#4)
Old
Legend

Default 11-27-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach1328
Just had my RB Twos Plus installed the other night. Super happy with initial results, but trying to get the car dialed in on lower boost before ramping things up a bit (also needing some more mods before pushing further).

07 E90 335i (117k miles):

RB Twos Plus
JB4 + MHD E85 Hybrid Race BEF
VRSF 7.5" FMIC
VRSF ***
MMP Inlets / VRSF Aluminum Outlets
BMS DCI
VRSF CP w/ TiAL BOV
E30 fuel (no fueling mods)

Run is on map 1 and I set a boost limit to attempt to keep things modest while I monitor the car in the early stages. Obviously stock fueling isn't going to cut it in the longer-run so LPFP will be on by next week.

Anyways, logs look decent to me apart from some overboost and AFR's are a little on the lean side. Especially since the timing looks fairly aggressive for E30 fueling. Though, it was a 30 night and IAT's were pretty low.

3 of the 4 O2 sensors are brand new and adaptations were reset today. The 4th O2 sensor only has about 5k miles on it. I would be inclined to say Im leaning out a little bit due to stock fueling system on E30. However, fuel pumps and trims all look OK.

Any thoughts on why I'm leaning out a bit and/or how to adjust boost to get it back on target? Would really love to keep things under 15psi while I get some more data. Any inputs are greatly appreciated!
Are you sure steering wheel menu is set 4/2 ?
(#5)
Old

Default 11-27-2020, 03:15 PM

I'm running the MHD Race BEF which is for small E85 mixtures. Double checked and confirmed JB4 is set to 4/2

2007 335i - JB4 + MHD BEF, RB Twos Plus, BMS DCI, VRSF **, VRSF 7.5" FMIC, VRSF CP w/ TiAL BOV, MMP inlets, VRSF aluminum outlets, XHP Stage 3, TC Kline SA, M3 F/R control arms
2008 535i
N54
(#6)
Old

Default 11-27-2020, 10:07 PM

Got another quick log today. Little bit better as I was able to take it all the way to redline. The car feels pretty good even at about 15psi tapering down to about 12-13psi.

It's now very clear the LPFP is starting to struggle with the E30 mix, which is interesting since the LPFP held in the mid 60s with the same mix on stock turbos around 18.5psi. The car definitely feels a lot quicker than the stock turbos even at quite a bit less boost.

Anyways, still a bit uncomfortable with AFR's as boost reaches (and surpasses) target. Seems like AFR's and boost get back on track fairly quickly and I think 12 to 13.5 AFR's are totally fine at relatively low boost. Should be getting the stage 2 LPFP on the car in the next few days so I'll take it easy until then.

Any thoughts on ignition timing, though? It seems fairly aggressive for only an E30 mix but the modest boost and cold IAT's may be helping out there. Not quite sure what happened with cylinder 1 pulling all timing pretty early but then it jumps back up very quickly. Otherwise, cylinder 4 looks a little noisy which is the norm on my engine. Always seems to recover pretty quickly.
Attached Files
File Type: csv P32_M1_R1_201127_212211.csv (9.3 KB, 16 views)

2008 535i
N54
(#7)
Old
Legend

Default 11-27-2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Got another quick log today. Little bit better as I was able to take it all the way to redline. The car feels pretty good even at about 15psi tapering down to about 12-13psi.

It's now very clear the LPFP is starting to struggle with the E30 mix, which is interesting since the LPFP held in the mid 60s with the same mix on stock turbos around 18.5psi. The car definitely feels a lot quicker than the stock turbos even at quite a bit less boost.

Anyways, still a bit uncomfortable with AFR's as boost reaches (and surpasses) target. Seems like AFR's and boost get back on track fairly quickly and I think 12 to 13.5 AFR's are totally fine at relatively low boost. Should be getting the stage 2 LPFP on the car in the next few days so I'll take it easy until then.

Any thoughts on ignition timing, though? It seems fairly aggressive for only an E30 mix but the modest boost and cold IAT's may be helping out there. Not quite sure what happened with cylinder 1 pulling all timing pretty early but then it jumps back up very quickly. Otherwise, cylinder 4 looks a little noisy which is the norm on my engine. Always seems to recover pretty quickly.
AFR looks like lean spool mode....BMS did it like that for faster spool.
(#8)
Old

Default 11-27-2020, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BEAST
AFR looks like lean spool mode....BMS did it like that for faster spool.
Thank you! I know it should run a little lean to help spool, but it seems like it's holding lean for half a second after boost reaches target. Not sure if that's because boost is surpassing target by about 1.5psi.

I don't think it's too concerning at my current boost, but once I start ramping things up I'd love to see AFR's drop a bit quicker. Just a bit worried about 10 degrees of timing with 15-15.5 AFRs at 20+psi.

Already had enough scares with potential engine damage when the stock bank 1 turbo let go. Haha. Somehow the car dumped a whopping 5.5L of oil into the exhaust and the engine only had 1L left. The crazy thing is the car ran for all of 45-60 seconds after the turbo gave. No clue how I lost so much oil so quickly, but all turned out fine.

Either way, I've got some work to do. The 335i is still my DD and snow tires need to go on soon for the Denver weather. Would love to get things dialed in before then.. I'll see how things hold around 18-20psi on E40 or E50 fuel once the LPFP is on. Then will probably make the move to port injection for 100% E85 + better wheel setup come spring.

2008 535i
N54

Last edited by zach1328; 11-27-2020 at 11:17 PM..
(#9)
Old
Legend

Default 11-28-2020, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Thank you! I know it should run a little lean to help spool, but it seems like it's holding lean for half a second after boost reaches target. Not sure if that's because boost is surpassing target by about 1.5psi.

I don't think it's too concerning at my current boost, but once I start ramping things up I'd love to see AFR's drop a bit quicker. Just a bit worried about 10 degrees of timing with 15-15.5 AFRs at 20+psi.

Already had enough scares with potential engine damage when the stock bank 1 turbo let go. Haha. Somehow the car dumped a whopping 5.5L of oil into the exhaust and the engine only had 1L left. The crazy thing is the car ran for all of 45-60 seconds after the turbo gave. No clue how I lost so much oil so quickly, but all turned out fine.

Either way, I've got some work to do. The 335i is still my DD and snow tires need to go on soon for the Denver weather. Would love to get things dialed in before then.. I'll see how things hold around 18-20psi on E40 or E50 fuel once the LPFP is on. Then will probably make the move to port injection for 100% E85 + better wheel setup come spring.
Thats crazy !
As far as the lean for 1/2 sec or so...honestly feel its ok and may actually not be running as lean as it would appear. I believe the Jb4 has a slight lag reporting on that.
(#10)
Old

Default 11-28-2020, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BEAST
Thats crazy !
As far as the lean for 1/2 sec or so...honestly feel its ok and may actually not be running as lean as it would appear. I believe the Jb4 has a slight lag reporting on that.
Cool. Appreciate the input. I'll just keep my eyes on everything, and I'll feel a bit more confident with some more E85 in the tank.

I just got a bit worried cause the car feels like it's putting in some serious work for relatively low boost compared to what the upgraded turbos can make. Started worrying that it was making a bit too much power for the AFRs and ignition timing.

There aren't many results on the RB Twos Plus around, so this is pure speculation. Plus maybe I forgot how fast the car was before since the turbos took a little time to come through. Nonetheless, it just feels like it's somehow making 500whp on ~15psi.

I'm probably off cause I don't think a stock LPFP could hold even close to 500whp on E30 fueling. Then again, the LPFP did hold E30-E40 on 18.5psi and FBO w/ inlets and outlets without ever dipping below ~63psi. Plus 2nd gear is currently not even close to hooking as it's about 0.1 seconds from 4k to redline. Lol. Hardly had traction issues in 2nd gear on the stockers. Anyways, super excited to get these turbos dialed in at higher boost cause there's no question they put in a lot more work at 15psi than I ever could have imagined.

2008 535i
N54