N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: Alpine White e82 135i
Lightbulb Some fun issues - 04-10-2019, 11:50 AM

Hi everyone, first time posting but have been creeping around this site for a few years already. Normally if there is an issue, it is easy to find a resolution on here. Unfortunately I'm stuck and am forced to make a new thread. Please go easy on me as some of these issues seem petty, but nevertheless it is still an issue and I can feel something is not right.

1) I am struggling with "avg ign" because it always sits quite high. It is currently at 4.6 as per usual. I would reset adaptations, run a bit and always just creeps back up again. A friend of mine has the exact same car, same mods and same BEF. His "avg ign" constantly sits at 0.4 - 0.6 so it cant be the fuel. I have replaced all coils, all plugs (NGK gaped to 0.22"), cleaned VANOS Solenoids & VANOS Filters (although no fault codes on VANOS) I have tried Octane boosters (comes down to 3.8ish) E50 mix (down to 2.4ish) Ive tried running 100% Meth and 50/50 Meth. No luck. I can actually feel when driving the car at WOT for the first second the motor shudders almost like a slight miss fire. Looking at logs, it is actually the Ign 1-6 that jumps to 10+ then goes down to 1.5 and climbs back up to 3.5+

2) With regards to the new integration of 2-step & Anti-Lag, mine is still the same as it was before, no 2-Step when rolling Anti-Lag and no Anti-Lag when doing 2-Step. Did the new Firmware update and latest BEF (Pump)

3) There is an event coming up this weekend so I started preparing and also went out for a test run. I set my 2-Step up to 3k RPM, build boost and dropped the clutch. I thought I blew my motor and ripped all my mountings to pieces the way the car stalled/bogged. As quick as the nose of the car lifted, it dropped down again almost instantly. Yes I turned off traction completely....lol

4) This is a weird one and difficult to explain. My DV's don't always "dump" and this is very inconsistent so cant recreate this. When I drive casually and go from 30% throttle to 20% throttle the DV's open permanently and constantly dumping (wooshing) When I bought the car and discovered this, I thought it was the Forge DV's and sourced new OEM ones, same issue. Even tried doing vacuum lines.

These are just the main issues for now, I hope you guys can give me some direction I need to go to resolve these issues. The last event I did a month back, I did a 12.3 1/4 mile with a slipping clutch and issues with JB$ kicking me to map 4 at the end of 3rd gear. I fitted the 550i clutch and is holding up nicely. Hopefully I can dig into the 11's

Here is a short log from earlier with all firmware and maps updated.
2019-04-10 18_43_22_Map-2.csv

Map for daily
JB4 map 2 with Pump back end flash 93 Oct fuel

Map for drags
JB4 map 6 (18psi) with Race back end flash, 50% 93 Oct fuel & 50% E95

Upgraded intercooler
Boost pipe meth injection (FSB integrated)
Stock turbos
18" Mickey Thompson E/T Streets

Looking forward to any advice from you guys.

(#2)
Old

Car: 09 E90 335i Msport
Default 04-10-2019, 12:55 PM

The Dv thing is normal I think as my car started doing that too when I did PS2 and turbosmart DVs.
The 2 step thing sounds off and you must have something setup wrong.
Traction control can affect avg-ign too, if you do a lot of short pulls with TC on or half on, this can affect it. Avg-ing learns a lot better on higher rpm and full gear pulls. It looks like your timing isn't doing great either.. could be injectors if you already replaced the usual

Last edited by E90 M335i; 04-10-2019 at 01:03 PM..
(#3)
Old

Default 04-10-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 M335i
The Dv thing is normal I think as my car started doing that too when I did PS2 and turbosmart DVs.
The 2 step thing sounds off and you must have something setup wrong.
Traction control can affect avg-ign too, if you do a lot of short pulls with TC on or half on, this can affect it. Avg-ing learns a lot better on higher rpm and full gear pulls. It looks like your timing isn't doing great either.. could be injectors if you already replaced the usual
Ok great, thanks. The DVs issue is minor but just worried about not dumping that pressure goes back to turbos.

What settings are there for 2-Step? Was not aware of any settings. The install was done and redone to make sure was correct.

I have not yet done injectors, trying to avoid the fact that I would have to replace them. I have done the test to see if they leaking on plugs, but seemed fine. Any other way to check?
(#4)
Old

Default 04-10-2019, 01:51 PM

Look at the jb4 thread. There's a new updated firmware and new instructions. You have to have the latest BEF too.
For the injectors. Do you have any popping noises from the exhaust on cold start? Rough idle? Could also be your intake valves that are caked with carbon..
(#5)
Old

Default 04-10-2019, 02:34 PM

All the latest Firmware and BEF loaded, still the same.
I did do the intake clean. Now and then it is quite rough on cold start.
(#6)
Old

Default 04-10-2019, 02:48 PM

Then there you go, your injectors are leaking. Get you some index 12 and get them coded and you should be all set. For the 2 step, take a log of what the issue is and post it on the 2step thread.
(#7)
Old

Car: BMW 1M Coupe
Default 04-11-2019, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon@86

Hey Leon@86, it’d be great if you have some more logs for us to take a look so that we can see what’s causing the ave ign timing to drop high chance might be injectors

Last edited by lightning; 04-11-2019 at 05:30 AM..
(#8)
Old

Default 04-11-2019, 05:40 AM

Ok I will do a bunch of logs and post them asap.

Thank you!
(#9)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 04-11-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon@86
Let your car sit overnight- pull your plugs & see if they’re wet with gas.

If yes- replace

If no- not injectors

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#10)
Old

Default 04-12-2019, 02:18 AM

QUOTE=Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It!;630111] Let your car sit overnight- pull your plugs & see if they’re wet with gas.

If yes- replace

If no- not injectors [/QUOTE]

I have tried this, plugs are all dry.... Its very confusing.

Here is a longer log, I use the anti-lag at the start. Tried to get 2-step in with NLS but for some reason it was not working! Yes I do have it active....
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2019-04-12 00_13_20_Map-2.csv (16.1 KB, 52 views)