N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i e90
Default JB4, MHD Custom Flash, PI, MMP - Fueling Issues - 10-07-2017, 02:29 PM

Looking for some input from the group, so far we have not been able to pin point the issue. Running a stage 2 bucket less setup, 100% e85 I am seeing massive dives in fuel pressure, the problem is, we can't figure out what is the main issue. Both high and low pressures are tanking at the top end, every log I run I see the same issues.

While both are dropping I feel like the LPFP is leading the charge, I used to be in the 70 PSI range upon startup and see high 60's low 70's while driving with my old DIY 450 setup. Ever since I went bucket less with a hydramat and PI I see start up in the 60's and pressures lower than I have since going 450 over four years ago. So far I have replaced the following...

EKP Module
Fuel-It 450 pump
Hydramat
Driverside filter/hat
Flashed back to JB4 PI BEF

I am at a loss. System has been pressure tested, I get no codes at all. I am going to try and add the stock Walbro filter to see if by chance the Hydramat is causing some sort of issue. I have messed with FOL, swapped EKP modules back and forth, NOTHING seems to improve things. I think the problem is originating on the low pressure side, not because of the pump, more because the pressures are low in general and seem to drop before the high pressure drops. That said, it seems to be the last possible failure point.

Before I spend the money on a new HPFP (replaced about four years ago and always ran with a 450) I wanted to see if anyone had some input. I have been told pressure at idle/start up is not important, but, I don't see anyone else with values like mine. I am going to swap filters right now to see if that changes things.

BTW my solenoids are a little tired and new ones are on the way, boost is a little wandering at times. Nice long pull in 4th in the log.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 171007_1540.csv (32.2 KB, 106 views)

'07 e90
(#2)
Old

Default 10-07-2017, 03:32 PM

Aj my tuner is suspecting I will need to go stage three, rather than try a new HPFP as the HPFP seems to be reacting to the drop in low pressure supply. Looking through the above log things start to really go haywire when my PI kicks in heavily. LP drops, Fuel En/Meth start compensating which cause the LP to drop even more. Then sometimes it seems to recover, weird. I have played with my FOL setting as well, everywhere from 40-90.

Really just trying to rule out everything before spending more money that doesn't fix the issue. I still go back to the idle pressures, why are they lower than they used to be? Just seems weird to me.

'07 e90

Last edited by threethirtyfive; 10-07-2017 at 03:39 PM..
(#3)
Old

Default 10-08-2017, 01:18 PM

Swapped the filter, reset adaptations, still seeing the same weird issue, idle pressure sits at 66 PSI, even a slight tap of the pedal has it drop to 60-62. Going to swap to my other EKP module and bypass the PI with the OEM fuel line.

'07 e90
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 10-08-2017, 09:02 PM

I know you mention “full e85” do you have any idea what the content is?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 10-09-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ Fuel-it!
I know you mention “full e85” do you have any idea what the content is?
I do not, I should get a tester/consider a sensor from y'all. I am down in Texas so I don't think we are getting winter blends but it's hard to say without testing.

Per Steve's recommendation I also just ordered a new LPFP sensor... I don't think I replaced mine looking at my records, if it was replaced it was before I bought the car. It's about the only thing that seems to add up at this point. I went through four years of logs and you do see a consistent downtrend in the low fuel pressure, all the flow and e85 may just have pushed it over the edge.

'07 e90

Last edited by threethirtyfive; 10-09-2017 at 11:26 AM..
(#6)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-10-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threethirtyfive
I do not, I should get a tester/consider a sensor from y'all. I am down in Texas so I don't think we are getting winter blends but it's hard to say without testing.

Per Steve's recommendation I also just ordered a new LPFP sensor... I don't think I replaced mine looking at my records, if it was replaced it was before I bought the car. It's about the only thing that seems to add up at this point. I went through four years of logs and you do see a consistent downtrend in the low fuel pressure, all the flow and e85 may just have pushed it over the edge.
Letís swap the sensor & see.

Iíd also invest in at least a tester, so you can tell exactly what you are getting at the pump

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old

Default 10-13-2017, 12:57 PM

New sensor arrives today, curious to see the results from that. Ordered a tester as well, friends I know who have tested e85 down here have seen good results, hope it it is the same case for me.

Right now all I want to do is install the sensor and turn the car on to see 72PSI....

'07 e90
(#8)
Old

Default 10-14-2017, 06:20 AM

Oh the joy of building a custom car...

- Replaced the LPFP sensor, no change

- Attached leads to the fuel pump supply line to test voltage, idle I am at mid to high 11v Running test with BavTech I see similar numbers with some low 12v.

- Swapped back and forth to different EKP modules, same numbers.

- Driving normally I see low to mid 12v, need to set the gopro up to watch the meter while doing a few pulls to see what it looks like under full boost.

- Figured maybe the battery is weak, took it in this morning and I am actually HIGHER voltage than the two they had in stock, ha.

- While running I am seeing high 13v-13.5v at the battery, next up I will test directly at the alternator.

NONE of this is triggering codes, never have I wished for a code. man.

Next on the list of culprits....

- Bad alternator and or voltage regulator
- Somehow I ended up with two EKP modules that have failed the same level and just a little bit.
- My back up camera interface is causing issues, I could swear it was on switched power, but, I pulled it and will test and also add a relay just to be safe.
- My power management block on the battery is dead even though the dealer just replaced it.

'07 e90
(#9)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-15-2017, 09:13 AM

It never ends, does it?

Seems like you are taking a practical approach to tracking down the issue tho, props

Burger Motorsports

(#10)
Old

Default 10-17-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ Fuel-it!
It never ends, does it?

Seems like you are taking a practical approach to tracking down the issue tho, props
It's been trying at times . New sensor installed and voltage checked while driving, things look OK. Did some hard driving without logging and things feel pretty good.

I decided to just go Stage 3, just waiting for an invoice.

'07 e90
(#11)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-17-2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threethirtyfive
It's been trying at times . New sensor installed and voltage checked while driving, things look OK. Did some hard driving without logging and things feel pretty good.

I decided to just go Stage 3, just waiting for an invoice.

Stage 3- I saw you are currently running our stage 2 LPFP.

Shoot me an email: Dave@Fuel-it.com & I can get you setup.

Cheers

Burger Motorsports