N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 09 E92 335i
Unhappy Single turbo/6MT swap - No start issues - 09-19-2017, 02:49 PM

Hey Frands,

So I have a funny issue after my single swap.. (also manual swap - coding was done).

Everything is plugged in other than secondary O2's and that hose heater wire. Only code I am getting is 2e77.. Fuel lines are all full and i cracked each one on the rail to be sure. Battery is fully charged and continuously on a trickle charger. So, I put the key in, start, it fires for 2-3 seconds then dies right after. Then if I proceed to try and immediately start - it just cranks for a solid 15 seconds. Can the HPFP get air locked? Or the injectors? I have had the fuel system apart and back together multiple times as I also added PI. Crank sensor was also replaced.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Removed MHD flash
Changed JB4 ST settings
Tried starting with JB4 off
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 09-19-2017, 03:04 PM

Tmap sensor plugged in?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 09-19-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
Tmap sensor plugged in?
Yes, it is plugged in - I even have the 3.5 bar sensor and all the associated firmware for the ST settings in the JB4.
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 09-19-2017, 04:51 PM

Your code would put me near battery. All the connections to battery/terminals good? Is the car/alternator ground wire good?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 09-19-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
Your code would put me near battery. All the connections to battery/terminals good? Is the car/alternator ground wire good?
Ill double check grounds in an hour or so. Can a low battery/bad ground actually cause an ignition problem? Ive never experienced such an odd start failure before. I might try removing the JB4 all together as well afterwards.
(#6)
Old

Default 09-19-2017, 07:29 PM

I've never uploaded a log before, but I took one as I was cranking - got the initial start then it shuts down and continued to crank afterwards.

170919_2024.csv
(#7)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 09-20-2017, 08:49 AM

DID U CODE THE 3.5 SENSOR TO THE CAR?
(#8)
Old

Default 09-20-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defineste90
DID U CODE THE 3.5 SENSOR TO THE CAR?
"N20 TMAP" to 1 in the JB4 interface after installing it - That's all I remember doing.
(#9)
Old

Car: 335i e90
Default 09-20-2017, 09:18 AM

FPL looks a bit weird, seems a little high and there is no fluctuation. Are you hitting the gas pedal for a reason? I had a similar issue years ago on an R32, I had forgotten to reconnect the sensor ring around the ignition key so that car kept going into anti theft mode. Would fire up and then immediately die.

Everything good with your clutch pedal sensors and TCU?

'07 e90
(#10)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-20-2017, 09:22 AM

Fuel pressure seems OK. Maybe spark? Green connector orange wires both have +12v? What fault codes do you get?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

(#11)
Old

Default 09-20-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Fuel pressure seems OK. Maybe spark? Green connector orange wires both have +12v? What fault codes do you get?
No codes other than that 2e77 as stated in the beginning. This leaves me scratching my head haha All connectors are plugged in and double checked. I do have the BimmerLifeTuning COP kit - Ill check its wiring after work today.
(#12)
Old

Default 09-20-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threethirtyfive
FPL looks a bit weird, seems a little high and there is no fluctuation. Are you hitting the gas pedal for a reason? I had a similar issue years ago on an R32, I had forgotten to reconnect the sensor ring around the ignition key so that car kept going into anti theft mode. Would fire up and then immediately die.

Everything good with your clutch pedal sensors and TCU?
I connected the CANBUS wires from the Auto trans harness and left them plugged in. Clutch pedal sensor works since I have to push in the clutch to get it to start.
(#13)
Old

Default 09-20-2017, 08:49 PM

FIXED. Got it running. Ended up being a couple modules that weren't reset properly during the Manual swap process - Had it running but not great - Check DME wiring for the 3rd time and found an imperfect connection for one of the power wires in the JB4 power connector. I'm just an idiot guys, its all good now :