N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
Go Back   N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion > Model-Specific Engine Tuning & Modification Discussion > N54
Reload this Page Finally found the root cause of my smoking and oil consumption problem...

(#51)
Old

Car: 2008 535xiT e61
Default 08-27-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optigrab
Interesting... What was the abnormal stuff that showed in the logs for cylinder 1?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUbeast86
Extremely lean in the logs with misfires and rail shut off codes.
I would assume cyl 1 was also pulling a ridiculous amount of timing

2008 e61 535xit: VTT GCs, Fuel-it PI, fuelab FPR w/ return line, stage 2 lpfp, fuelab "700" inline pump, RB external PCV, VRSF 7.5" race FMIC, Inlets, outlet, AR ***, 3" chargepiping, 3" exhaust, JB4, BMS PI controller
(#52)
Old

Car: 135
Default 08-27-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optigrab
I'm sorry for your bad luck man.
I know there have been lots of injector problems and revisions leaking, not providing a fuel etc.

is this the first time and injector has had a catastrophic failure?
This isn't the first time, I'm one of several people who have blown a motor due to leaky injectors.

2016 Mustang GTPP Whipple! 650rwhp, easy..

08 135i-sold!!
DCI
JB4 Iso5
Dp
VVT stage1
Berk cb
7" intercooler
Chargepipe
Wavetrac

Thor 12.9 mega motor installed!
(#53)
Old

Car: e28 m5, e34 m5, e30
Default 12-10-2015, 10:00 AM

Just for my knowledge. How was the bent rod making you eat oil? All the rings and such were still ok right? So shouldn't they still have been sealing properly which was seen in the compression and leakdown? I'm just not understanding how it would make you eat oil.
(#54)
Old
Demigod

Car: 2007 335i
Default 12-10-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by europartconnect
Just for my knowledge. How was the bent rod making you eat oil? All the rings and such were still ok right? So shouldn't they still have been sealing properly which was seen in the compression and leakdown? I'm just not understanding how it would make you eat oil.
it would score the cylinder wall and oil would get past the ring.

JB4 G5, WEDGE flash, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR ***, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsort, Delrin solid subfrane bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
(#55)
Old

Car: e28 m5, e34 m5, e30
Default 12-10-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976
it would score the cylinder wall and oil would get past the ring.
But then how didn't it show up on the leakdown test? How was it selling properly during a leak down but not when driving? Was the scoring not at the top of the cylinder?
(#56)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default 12-10-2015, 11:26 AM

Keep in mind a leak down is not a dynamic test. That is it is done with the piston at a standstill. It is entirely possible that the cylinder walls/pistons/rings/etc are all sealed well enough at this point (ie. TDC); but due to the tweaked rod in the range of motion sees instability in motion and sporadic in sealing.

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#57)
Old

Car: 2007 335i e92 Coupe
Default 12-10-2015, 05:59 PM

RB is correct. Leak down and compression tests are to be conducted on hot engines with each cylinder @TDC, which only tests the integrity of the rings, seating of the rings, seating of the valves and head gasket leaks. The bend in the rod wasn't significant enough @TDC to show up. Couple that with the fact that my head was a brand new VAC ST3 and you'll get some pretty impressive test results.

Also keep in mind that my rod was also twisted so at bottom dead center the piston head was not only lower in the cylinder due to the bend, it was also tilted due to the twist. This allowed oil to be pulled into the cylinder from 2 angles on the bottom stroke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by europartconnect