N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1601)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 03-02-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEye
I've been able to communicate with the modules, I had to clear some codes after fitting the Performance Steering Wheel.
Thanks. I updated the BT software and it works sort of. That software is a little flakey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Launch control is for the opposite of what you want. It's for launching harder on slicks. You need to use the gear dependent boost limiter. Set 1st gear to 7 to run stock boost in 1st.
I would love to see more specific information in post one about things like this. How specifically does on set first gear to 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrod
Map 2 might be too aggressive for your setup so switching over to map 5 might be a safer bet even though you might lose some hp. Considering you are running 93oct and DCI you should be somewhere between Map 1 and Map 2 power wise. Correct me if i'm wrong Thanks
I'm running map 2 on an otherwise stock car. What is DCI? Should I be running 5? I was going for map 2 being sort of like map 7 on the JB3.

And what exactly is setting the guages for U.S. 335 at the bottom of the Excel sheet?

This is an ingenious product with first-rate technical support, but there are aspects of the Excel sheet for example that are unclear to a novice user. I would be willing to talk through this with you in person Terry. It may be helpful to a lot of my brethern with 2-digit IQs.
(#1602)
Old

Default 03-02-2011, 09:36 PM

Johno,
I have the HPF front mount, ***-less down *****, DCI (duel cone intake), and running 93. Terry read a log of mine and recommended that I run map 5 as map 2 was to aggressive for me.

With a stock car you should be running map 1 man. Anything more than that and you might be looking for issues.

Terry,
I just filled up at another gas station and will attempt a few pulls on map 2 again to see if things look a bit better this time around.

Thanks

(#1603)
Old

Car: 2007 335i Sedan
Default 03-02-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johno
I'm running map 2 on an otherwise stock car. What is DCI? Should I be running 5? I was going for map 2 being sort of like map 7 on the JB3.
Map 2 on stock might be too much, it is intended for bolt on mods and 93 octane. Map 1 is more suited for a stock car. DCI is dual cone intake.
(#1604)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-02-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I updated the BT software and it works sort of. That software is a little flakey.

I would love to see more specific information in post one about things like this. How specifically does on set first gear to 7?

And what exactly is setting the guages for U.S. 335 at the bottom of the Excel sheet?

This is an ingenious product with first-rate technical support, but there are aspects of the Excel sheet for example that are unclear to a novice user. I would be willing to talk through this with you in person Terry. It may be helpful to a lot of my brethern with 2-digit IQs.
I'd use map 5, map 2 is likely too strong, and DCI is a dual cone intake. I'll update the FAQ with the 1st and 2nd gear boost limit.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1605)
Old
Ma need more protein !

Car: 2009 335i x drive
Default 03-02-2011, 10:05 PM

im going to log some runs tomorrow on my way to work...the long way let my ams fmic really breath

2009 335 xdrive - Muff Delete, JB4 (ALPHA), DCIs, V701 GM, CF Splitters, +mas
(#1606)
Old

Car: 2010 335i Coupe
Default 03-03-2011, 01:46 AM

this might just be an annoyance, but would it be a problem to add a 'connect' hotkey? i can't stand the mousepad..lol
(#1607)
Old

Car: 2007 335i Sedan
Default 03-03-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinrock
Quote:
Launch control is for the opposite of what you want. It's for launching harder on slicks. You need to use the gear dependent boost limiter. Set 1st gear to 7 to run stock boost in 1st.
What is the advantage of keeping it that low in 1st gear? I'm actually in the same boat as MikeF from a few posts back - even though I'm putting down a really good 0-60, it's still laggy from the start.
Any thoughts?
(#1608)
Old

Car: 2007 335i coupe
Default 03-03-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spydeputy
dumb question maybe, and the answer is probably somewhere in these 50 some pages. but i didn't see it on page one. ripped out the JB3 and sent in my core. JB4 sitting here waiting for my BMW to get back from the shop w/ a new recalled HPFP. anyhow, do we switch maps in the 4 the same way we did in the 3, but just 7 to pick from? thanks
All of your answers are in page one of this post. There is a list of maps and in-dash features along with instructions on how to access them.

2007 E92 N54, JB4 G5 ISO W/ BMS Flash, RB Turbos, Meth W/ FSB & CM10, BMS DCI, BMS OCC, CPE FMIC, AR Design CLDP's, DP Fix, Quaife LSD
(#1609)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-03-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kang159
this might just be an annoyance, but would it be a problem to add a 'connect' hotkey? i can't stand the mousepad..lol
F1 connects.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#1610)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-03-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinrock
Any thoughts?
Those with traction problems who don't want to modulate the throttle find having less torque on tap makes launching easier in 1st gear.

Burger Motorsports

(#1611)
Old

Default 03-03-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I'd use map 5, map 2 is likely too strong, and DCI is a dual cone intake. I'll update the FAQ with the 1st and 2nd gear boost limit.
Thanks Terry

Given that beta is about working out things, I hope that includes you being open to suggestions/input on the instructions. This is offered in a spirit of gratitude for your exceptional product and your service, not as criticism. For you to do what you have done at this price point is frankly incredible. I don't see how Dinan can sell his software agains the JB3 or especially the 4.

We have 93 Octane here and I have dual cones I can put in place of the stock air box. (The cone intakes are A PITA to clean vs. the stock filter so I took them out,.) Still too strong if I have 93 octane?

I don't get why you have a map that's "too strong."

I'm curious about the features of map 5. I don;t understand what it says in the Excel sheet. Meanwhile I'll do what you say and switch to map 5. How many HP is map 5?

I would suggest ordering the maps in order of aggressiveness and be clear in the Excel sheet about which to use. I was using Map 7 with the JB3 absent any warnings about being too strong and when I saw the Excel -- with no warnings about being too strong -- it seemed like the way to go.

Edit: I just re-readPost One: By Map 5 it says "Still under development so if you're going to play with it keep an eye on things." Here's my problem with post one. Please forgive my direct tone: I am not going to play with anything and I have no idea how to keep an eye on things. There is nothing about that line that would let me know Map 5 is the way to go vs. Map 2. Keep an eye on things by doing what? When? How often? I know this is a PITA but they are reasonable questions for customers who don;t know what you mean.

Under map 2: "Map 2: 14.5psi (suggested for bolt on mods with 93 octane, close to JB3 map 7)" Which bolt on Mods? Dual Cone? *********? What is Map 7 to a new customer? "too strong" is much more vital info that close to Map 7, which has zero meaning for a new guy who doesn;t happen to have the JB3 map card on hand to see what that means.

This is an example of where the directions need to be more clear. There are many instances like this where information is sparse and not all of us know what you mean with things that are simple for you. Your product and service are unsurpassed. Just a little more explanation would really help some of us less-advanced customers. Thanks Terry

Where there is risk ("too strong") best to be crystal clear about that.
Thanks,

Last edited by johno; 03-03-2011 at 11:47 AM..
(#1612)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-03-2011, 11:49 AM

The documentation is beta too.

Bolt ons primarily mean *********. So if you're 93 but don't have *********, use map 1, or help test map 5.

Burger Motorsports

(#1613)
Old

Default 03-03-2011, 11:55 AM

Cool

Do you have Acrobat pro or can you see markups in a PDF? I can send you some ideas for the documentation to consider privately.

I am happy to help test map 5 and help you any other way I can. But I don't understand keep an eye on things.

Would these things possibly include smoke? I'll pass.
(#1614)
Old

Default 03-03-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Thanks Terry

Given that beta is about working out things, I hope that includes you being open to suggestions/input on the instructions. This is offered in a spirit of gratitude for your exceptional product and your service, not as criticism. For you to do what you have done at this price point is frankly incredible. I don't see how Dinan can sell his software agains the JB3 or especially the 4.

We have 93 Octane here and I have dual cones I can put in place of the stock air box. (The cone intakes are A PITA to clean vs. the stock filter so I took them out,.) Still too strong if I have 93 octane?

I don't get why you have a map that's "too strong."

I'm curious about the features of map 5. I don;t understand what it says in the Excel sheet. Meanwhile I'll do what you say and switch to map 5. How many HP is map 5?

I would suggest ordering the maps in order of aggressiveness and be clear in the Excel sheet about which to use. I was using Map 7 with the JB3 absent any warnings about being too strong and when I saw the Excel -- with no warnings about being too strong -- it seemed like the way to go.

Edit: I just re-readPost One: By Map 5 it says "Still under development so if you're going to play with it keep an eye on things." Here's my problem with post one. Please forgive my direct tone: I am not going to play with anything and I have no idea how to keep an eye on things. There is nothing about that line that would let me know Map 5 is the way to go vs. Map 2. Keep an eye on things by doing what? When? How often? I know this is a PITA but they are reasonable questions for customers who don;t know what you mean.

Under map 2: "Map 2: 14.5psi (suggested for bolt on mods with 93 octane, close to JB3 map 7)" Which bolt on Mods? Dual Cone? *********? What is Map 7 to a new customer? "too strong" is much more vital info that close to Map 7, which has zero meaning for a new guy who doesn;t happen to have the JB3 map card on hand to see what that means.

This is an example of where the directions need to be more clear. There are many instances like this where information is sparse and not all of us know what you mean with things that are simple for you. Your product and service are unsurpassed. Just a little more explanation would really help some of us less-advanced customers. Thanks Terry

Where there is risk ("too strong") best to be crystal clear about that.
Thanks,
Don't know power but I'm pulling 0.62G-0.65G in 2nd

None of the maps are too strong, the road's not grippy enough.

Individual Velvet Blue Manual E90 335i M-Sport.
(#1615)
Old

Default 03-03-2011, 12:12 PM

I second the idea to be able to control the exhaust flap. I actually have mine plugged in these days because of extensive highway driving and it's nice to have a quiet car at highway speeds. But, there are also times when I like to hear the exhaust note. A simple flick of a button is pretty bad ass.

Another idea, how about a protected command mode? So if I take my car to a valet, I don't want the clowns to go "hmm I wonder if he has a JB4" and hit volume down and channel down. So you have a mode where you must hit volume down and channel down, then you need to punch in a predefined number sequence from the radio presets. This can then also enable rev limiting and speed limiting.

Also how about being able to set the rev limit on transport mode? So the user can set it lower... say 2500. =)

1 more idea, in addition to the test icon when we go into command mode... how about an icon for every option that we pick? then the user does not have to really memorize the options on the tach in command mode.
(#1616)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-03-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Cool

Do you have Acrobat pro or can you see markups in a PDF? I can send you some ideas for the documentation to consider privately.

I am happy to help test map 5 and help you any other way I can. But I don't understand keep an eye on things.

Would these things possibly include smoke? I'll pass.
Low tech right now. Trying to get all the documentation in to the first post slowly and then I'll have someone here do a PDF manual once we have enough of it together. Feel free to email any ideas you have! Feedback is always appreciated. Even on the documentation.

By keeping an eye on it I mean doing and sending in a log so we can ensure it's all working as it should. Map 5 has proven to be a winner so far, even in this early stage of its development.

Burger Motorsports

(#1617)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-03-2011, 07:39 PM

If you need support just email.

Burger Motorsports

(#1618)
Old
m power

Car: 135i
Default 03-04-2011, 08:41 AM

Terry would it be possible to program a launch control mode for us MT guys similar to the new Boss 302 in the upcoming JB4 firmware?

Link to video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El7Le...layer_embedded
(#1619)
Old

Car: 335i Coupe
Default 03-04-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiike
1 more idea, in addition to the test icon when we go into command mode... how about an icon for every option that we pick? then the user does not have to really memorize the options on the tach in command mode.
If this can be done...fantastic idea. Even if it's just abbreviation letters or something...anything to help show what "menu" you are in would be neat.
(#1620)
Old

Default 03-04-2011, 02:58 PM

Terry, do you know the BSFC of a stock or FBO car?
(#1621)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-04-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GbreeE90
Terry, do you know the BSFC of a stock or FBO car?
Never computed it but if I had to guess I'd say .62.

Burger Motorsports

(#1622)
Old

Default 03-04-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Never computed it but if I had to guess I'd say .62.
Okay, thanks! And is that for stock or FBO? I know it changes as power increases.
(#1623)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-04-2011, 03:55 PM

The higher the inlet temps and boost pressure the higher it's going to be. But as I said I've never bothered to work the math out on it.

Burger Motorsports

(#1624)
Old

Car: 135 I N54
Default 03-05-2011, 08:13 AM

Dear Terry, I'm from ARGENTINA (sorry for my english).

I received yesterday my new the JB4!!!!!!

Today I will install it but I would like your help to find the correct map.

My car it is a 135I N54 with ******* DP, CAI's, JB3, ***** (V3) and speed delimiter.In Argentina we have 93 OCT gas.

At this moment I set the JB3 in map 7 and the car goes excelent!

Wich will be the correct map for the new JB4?
Do I have to remove de DP FIX? (I think Yes)
Do I have to remove the SPEED DELIMITER?

Thnks!!!!

Alex
(#1625)
Old
Country Roads!

Car: 2009 135i
Default 03-05-2011, 08:22 AM

Run map 5 from the most recent firmware that you can find a link to on post #1. it will be the .hex file.

Mods: FBO