N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2009 335i M-Sport
Default Newish turbos - wastegate stuck?? Video inside - 05-20-2019, 07:35 AM

I bought some turbos with 8k miles off a forum member for a decent price, a little bit over core charge so I'm not totally ****ed but at the same time I'm trying to figure out what's going on. The guy kinda shipped them like a douchebag in a cardboard box with literally no other padding besides the turbos themselves, box arrived kinda busted up.

During the install I noticed one of the c-clips on the wastegate arm was missing so I took one from my old turbos and put it on. I don't know which turbo was missing the c-clip, the good one or the one that is stuck but keep that in mind, maybe I ****ed something up. I literally just snapped it back into place.

I have the engine on a stand so it's quite easy to see but after doing the install I went to check the wastegates position with a Mityvac (I should have done this while they were on a bench, front turbo is impossible to adjust from what I can tell hence the washer method). The rear turbo was pretty much perfect, nearly closed at 5.9hg. However, when I went to the front turbo it pretty much didn't budge until 11hg and then it fully closed by 12hg.

I thought maybe this was a bad test so I started pushing the actuator arm with my fingers but you can clearly see in the video how the front turbo wastegate doesn't want to budge.

Busted wastegate - YouTube

Is there something I can do to fix the arm? Is it maybe installed incorrectly? Is it just broken? I'm ready to put the engine back in the car but I can't put it back in until I figure this out. If needed I can uninstall them again.
(#2)
Old

Default 05-24-2019, 08:01 AM

I bought a new wastegate actuator for like $31 from FCP. Thank god for FCP btw, idk how they do their lifetime warranty but I'll be pulling the turbo/turbos again so I purchased all the studs and nuts again. Hopefully all I need to do is remove the 2 bolts holding the wastegate to the turbo, remove the c clip holding the wastegate arm on and replace with the new actuator.

I'll be shocked if the wastegate flapper is the problem. There's really not much to it since it's kinda driven by the actuator. Wish me luck boys! Would rather fix this for $30 than have to buy all new turbos if that's the only problem.
(#3)
Old

Car: 2008 E93
Default 05-24-2019, 08:49 AM

Good luck !
(#4)
Old

Default 05-27-2019, 08:41 PM

Update, pulled the front turbo since it had to be that one and not the rear. If it was the rear turbo I could have done it on the block I think but the front wastegate is nearly impossible to adjust while installed.

Replaced the wastegate with a new unit from BMW, luckily they're only $31. Once I got the turbo off and pulled the c clip it was clear the problem was in fact the actuator. My guess is the wastegate rod got bent somehow, it still kinda worked but as soon as you put it into position over the flapper arm with the c clip it completely seizes up.

Setting the waste gate from scratch was interesting as it came completely off from the factory it seems. I used my mityvac to pull vacuum to 5.9 in hg and all that. Previously I couldn't get the wastegate to close until like 11-12

With that said, I read somewhere someone said these turbos have limited adjustability and once you turn the rod a few times you max out the length. From what I could tell that's completely wrong. You might only be able to turn the rod a few times but if you really wanna gain some length on the rod, remove the c clip and loosen the nut/cap with the hole on it and detach it from the watergate flapper. It's a threaded rod so you can tighten or loosen the cap with the hole and adjust it that way also.

My guess is though it's not always the adjustment of the arm but rather just the flapper getting worn out over time that causes the majority of the rattle we hear

Last edited by nissubaru; 05-27-2019 at 08:50 PM..
(#5)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 05-28-2019, 10:22 PM

nice- so back up and running full force ?

http://www.fuel-it.biz/

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
Fuel-It!Platinum DIY PI Kit + Stage 2BL
(#6)
Old

Default 05-29-2019, 06:59 AM

Almost. The motor was just put back in Sunday night, I'm working on the weekends usually only 1 day a week. Slowly but the car is at my parents house in their garage.

The turbo is fixed as far as I can tell though.

Next step is bolting everything back up and plugging in all the wires. If anyone has a diagram or something for the wiring harness or what plugs go where it would be of use. I did my best to label all the wires and their corresponding plugs on the block but I believe a few labels ripped off moving things around.