N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 08 535i
Default JB4 Dropping Connection - 05-01-2019, 06:43 AM

Hello,
Posting a new thread as this is unrelated to my log review.

Since updating to latest firmware, I have had a few problems. I realized I missed the single JB4 power connector when I routed the cable to the cabin, but fixed it and still have some issues.

1) The gauge sweep does not happen on startup any more. It'll randomly sweep after a minute of driving. It may also randomly sweep while driving. I left this feature on specifically for this reason.

2) On the way to work today, I lost connection to the JB4. Gauge hijacking stopped working, couldnt get into any steering wheel menus, couldnt connect with jb4 mobile. The car was also not as peppy as it should have been in map 2.

3) Overall the car is running much worse since the firmware update. 6th gear, as I step on the gas it bogs and rpms go down. I'll try a pull and it will hesitate for a few seconds, and then sluggishly accelerate.

535i E60 6MT: VTT Wastegate Fix / BMS DCI / No name Dpipes & CP / ARM 7" FMIC & Hose Upgrade / VRSF Inlets
C5 A6 2.7T 6MT
(#2)
Old

Default 05-01-2019, 06:13 PM

Same thing on the way home. Delayed start up sweep, lost jb4 logging on my tablet after a few minutes of driving. Then the car ran really poorly.
Looked in the ecu box all connections look fine. Couldnt get it running long enough to get a log. Tried reuploading firmware through laptop to rule out jb4 mobile, no change. But I didnt notice a couple things, the jb4 lost connection and then came back while driving (gauge hijacking, gauges on tablet, steering wheel controls). So its coming in and out its not like its powered for 1 minute and then permanently off. Can anyone help with this issue? It's only started happening since I updated to latest firmware. Having finicky connection to the device managing my daily is very concerning. Considering flash only route.

535i E60 6MT: VTT Wastegate Fix / BMS DCI / No name Dpipes & CP / ARM 7" FMIC & Hose Upgrade / VRSF Inlets
C5 A6 2.7T 6MT
(#3)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 05-02-2019, 05:48 AM

Tbh sounds like something is loose or your losing power intermittently- double check install/ ground first make sure nothing isn’t 1/2 in/out

Firmware update shouldn’t / doesn’t cause issues like this- lets eliminate the easy stuff first

http://www.fuel-it.biz/

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
Fuel-It!Platinum DIY PI Kit + Stage 2BL
(#4)
Old

Default 05-02-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It!
Tbh sounds like something is loose or your losing power intermittently- double check install/ ground first make sure nothing isn’t 1/2 in/out

Firmware update shouldn’t / doesn’t cause issues like this- lets eliminate the easy stuff first
Sure - which connections should I be looking at? harness to box? red wire tapped for power? I can't think of any other connections that the jb4 relies on

C5 A6 2.7T 6MT
(#5)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-02-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefariousminion
Sure - which connections should I be looking at? harness to box? red wire tapped for power? I can't think of any other connections that the jb4 relies on
Double check both

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
(#6)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 05-02-2019, 03:38 PM

I've noticed the delayed sweep on the latest firmware too, no other issues though.
(#7)
Old

Car: 2009 E92 335i DCT
Default 05-02-2019, 09:56 PM

For the record, since the Firmware update to 32//14 i also have had issues of the JB4 Connection on Mobile dropping, and wont connect,
gives an error of "Cable or Device Error..." takes me a couple of times to plug in and connect again for it to take.
also the needle sweep delay, sometimes its immediate, then other times mostly its about 5 - 10sec after start up.
(#8)
Old

Default 05-20-2019, 09:27 AM

Hello All, Thanks for adding comments. It seems I'm not the only one with this delay in gauge sweep and mobile connect. But is anyone else having problems with the car running really poorly when on any map except map 0? Basically if I switch to map 1, inside of 2 minutes the gauge hijacking stops working, jb4 mobile freezes (except for a weird reading on boost) and car runs horribly. Feels like no boost and erratic throttle.

Can anyone confirm my understanding of the firmware update process via Mobile? Set Duty Bias to 0 or 50, plug in car charger, hit Firmware update on tablet, which automatically navigates to N54tech page with hex files, install, car off, restart.

C5 A6 2.7T 6MT
(#9)
Old

Default 05-22-2019, 05:24 PM

Double checked all connections nothing appears to be loose. Definitely seems that something went wrong during firmware update. Current status- whenever in anything but map 0 the car will run fine for no more than a minute. Then the gauge hijacking stops working and car runs horribly. Also, when I leave it in any map but 0, I get a high battery drain message when I start the car, no message when I leave it in map 0. Anyone care to help me identify the issue here? Havent ruled out user error, but I just dont understand the battery drain issue.

C5 A6 2.7T 6MT
(#10)
Old

Default 05-22-2019, 05:52 PM

Just uploaded latest firmware again with 0 duty bias and boost limiter. Restarted the car after the update completed. I put the car on map 1, AFR and boost on gauge hijacking, and as soon as I moved the car, the gauges went dead, readings in jb4 interface froze and steering wheel controls didnt work. Help pls

C5 A6 2.7T 6MT
(#11)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-23-2019, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefariousminion
Just uploaded latest firmware again with 0 duty bias and boost limiter. Restarted the car after the update completed. I put the car on map 1, AFR and boost on gauge hijacking, and as soon as I moved the car, the gauges went dead, readings in jb4 interface froze and steering wheel controls didnt work. Help pls
Very odd...shoot an email over to mobile support to start.

Is your mobile app up to date?

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
(#12)
Old

Default 05-23-2019, 06:22 AM

Were pointing to a mobile error on this one? I havent used the tablet since this issue came up. Everything has been done through the JB4 application on PC to rule out issues with jb4 mobile- firmware update, logging, I can see the values freeze on the pc as soon as the wheels roll. Anyone have an older firmware to try? I havent ruled out user error (checked that I dont have diodes, checked that duty bias and boost limiters were all 0). But I'm at a loss right now since I did a massive amount of work and finally got it right, just to have it limp if im not on map 0.

C5 A6 2.7T 6MT
(#13)
Old

Default 05-28-2019, 02:35 PM

Bump car was really great before firmware update, stock boost is cool too i guess

C5 A6 2.7T 6MT
(#14)
Old

Car: 2008 E93
Default 05-28-2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsprung_CJB
I've noticed the delayed sweep on the latest firmware too, no other issues though.
I have also noticed the same along with a couple of other issues.
(#15)
Old

Default 05-29-2019, 06:50 AM

Idk if it matters but fwiw I have a an e60 with msd80, updated to latest firmware. Not currently running jb4 Mobile. Maybe it's something about my configuration but I think I need to pull it unless I can get this worked out.

C5 A6 2.7T 6MT