N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i
Default Target a boost (psi) - 02-07-2019, 03:24 PM

Hi all this maybe a silly question but can I target a psi?

I have an f10 m5.

Stock psi is 15 I think.

Map 1 is 19 psi.

Map 2 is 22 psi.

Map 3 is 18 psi ( I think)

I am getting clutch slip with map 1... which based on figures released by jb4 support... well map 1 is at the limits of the torque for the standard clutches. Based on 99 fuel I have... well I think I need a customer map....

Has any one targeted lower boost... jb4 said don't bother but I would still like to try... even 2 psi is worth 50 bhp

Thanks all
(#2)
Old

Car: 2008 335i Vert (E93, N54)
Default 02-08-2019, 10:48 AM

So, from what you write, you go up 4 PSI from stock and your clutch slips?
I don't personally know the f10 m5 specs, but that sounds off.

And you want to compensate by only moving it 2 PSI over stock PSI?
Sure, you can target boost with the JB4.

However, it seems like you really need to deal with the clutch if your numbers are correct. 2 PSI over stock just isn't worth the effort. You'll have to turn that to 1 PSI in a few weeks, then no extra boost, then under stock-boost.

Looks like fixing the car is the only lasting path.

-------------------------------------------------------------
2008 335i Convertible, E93, N54, A/T
TUNE: JB4 Map 1 | PUMP BEF | 94 Octane | @15 PSI
BMS: JB4 | 5" FMIC | OCC | DCI
xHP Stage 3 (v2.0)
VRSF CP | HKS BOV
NGK 5992 Plugs @ .020
RB PCV Valve

Pending Install:
BMS WMI

Maintenance:
2018, Q2 - Plugs | Ign Coils | Walnut Blasting
2019, Q1 - Valve Cover Gasket | OFHG & O-rings | Alternator w/ Clutch Pulley | Manually scrubbed Intake Ports w/ CRC Valve & Turbo Cleaner
(#3)
Old

Default 02-08-2019, 02:52 PM

Hi. Thanks for replying.

Map 1 on the m5 at 19 psi gives about 120 bhp... so even 1 psi is still worth it.....

So yes trying to setup 17 or 18 psi is still worth 75bhp...

I think map one on UK fuel 99 octane must make even more power... so map 1 is too much for the stock clutches... too much torque...

How do u target boost on the jb4? What may happen What it gets warmer

Many thanks
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-08-2019, 06:27 PM

Post a log on map1 if you want us to check it out, shouldn't have any clutch slip on that I'd presume.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 02-09-2019, 09:33 AM

Hi,

So I have wasted half a tank of fuel this morning and dialed map 6 in as attached (3rd attachment). Granted my clutches have done 57K miles and are 7 years old...

I am in the UK, I was using Shell super unleaded (99 Octane) and the temperature was 10c. I have installed 2 stage colder plugs and gaped to 0.022. The car is rock solid. I have upgraded the jb4 to the latest firmware.

With map 1, with 4th gear rolls on's from 35 mph to ***mph I was getting slip at 1.5 to 2K and 3.5K to 4.5K. So I tweaked the PSI (map 6) accordingly... I am now solid in 4th gear from 35mph to the red line, using map 6 (3rd attachment)...

If I used the gearbox (1st, 2nd 3rd, 4th) with map 1 I could minimize the slip, but it still slipped, I wanted it to be rock solid!

I also now have at least 10 "logs", I have attached a 4th gear pull in map 1 (. The log has two pulls, the first was no slip, the second (shortly after had slip... I guess the clutches heats up and bam, slip...

Any observations very welcome.

A good mornings work either way, as the car is faster... if not tamed somewhat compared to map 1...
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: csv 190209_1214.csv (12.1 KB, 23 views)
(#6)
Old

Default 02-09-2019, 09:38 AM

Attached is the log for map 6, dialed in by me... just for reference :-) No slip!! This was a 4th gear roll on 35 mph to *** mph.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: csv 190209_1306.csv (12.4 KB, 20 views)
(#7)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-09-2019, 11:39 AM

It's hard to tell if there is DCT slippage, it would normally look like RPM increasing faster than it should for the road speed and I don't see that?
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#8)
Old

Default 02-09-2019, 12:05 PM

Thanks for replying... I feel confident I have dialed it in for the time being..m. .ore power when I can afford 3k to upgrade the clutch...

I guess higher octane fuel will produce more power ? Also do u know what the st9ck psi is for each 500 rpm... that would be handy.
(#9)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-09-2019, 01:14 PM

In your logs DME BT is the factory boost request, so easy to study logs and see how it moves around based on engine speed, weather, load, etc.

Burger Motorsports

(#10)
Old

Default 02-09-2019, 01:37 PM

Thank you
(#11)
Old

Default 02-10-2019, 09:01 AM

Hi. I seem to be bogging a little from 3rd in to 4th... any ideas?? Many thanks

Last edited by michael4702; 02-10-2019 at 09:08 AM..
(#12)
Old

Car: 2001 and 2013 BMW M5
Default 02-14-2019, 06:23 AM

I think that happened to me also from 3rd to 4th. It takes a full second or two to shift. I run a lot more boost though with the meth injection around 25psi.