N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#51)
Old

Car: E90-355I
Default 05-22-2019, 06:20 PM

If I install this cooler what else would I need to do for the heat-xchanger delete?
Would I be able to run a MT radiator ? Anyone know what mods I would need to run the MT radiator ? My intent is to get rid of the coolant loop for the heat-xchanger when I go to a replacement transmission oil cooler solution.
(#52)
Old

Car: 135i n54
Default 05-22-2019, 08:06 PM

Does it fit RHD Vehicles or not?
(#53)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 05-22-2019, 08:48 PM

I would like to install this with a 160F thermostat. What thermostat should I purchase and what additional hardware is needed? And how would the thermostat be connected? Thanks.

2008 E90 335xi AT 67K MILES
MHD CUSTOM FLEXFUEL 24 PSI, N20 TMAP, FUEL-IT STG 2 LPFP, cPE CHARGE PIPE, HELIX IC, TIAL Q BOV WHITE SPRING, BMS DCI, BMS T-STAT DELETE, BMS HIGH AND MISHIMOTO LOW OCC, RB PCV, KW-V1 COILOVERS, APEX ARC-8, 235/265 MICHELIN PSS, xHP STAGE 3, SCOOPS, PR IGNITION
(#54)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 05-23-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohugh
If I install this cooler what else would I need to do for the heat-xchanger delete?
Would I be able to run a MT radiator ? Anyone know what mods I would need to run the MT radiator ? My intent is to get rid of the coolant loop for the heat-xchanger when I go to a replacement transmission oil cooler solution.
Just as the directions state. You remove the OEM trans cooler and replace it with the upgrade. No more coolant in the loop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1986_135i
Does it fit RHD Vehicles or not?
Yes, it's at the bottom of the application list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffman
I would like to install this with a 160F thermostat. What thermostat should I purchase and what additional hardware is needed? And how would the thermostat be connected? Thanks.
Improved racing is what I would go with. It would be a DIY or you'd have to take it to a professional.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#55)
Old

Car: 135i N54
Default 05-24-2019, 07:11 PM

First post!

Just had the BMS trans cooler installed on my 135i. I have an Improved Racing 160F tstat that was not installed with it.

So far even in a bit of traffic at 65F ambient the trans won’t go higher than 137F which is crazy impressive. But this leads me to believe that a stat is somewhat necessary to get it up to Temp.

Wondering what the best way to add the inline tstat is?

Can the BMS line be ordered separately?
(#56)
Old

Car: E90-355I
Default 05-25-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam @ BMS
Just as the directions state. You remove the OEM trans cooler and replace it with the upgrade. No more coolant in the loop.
Thanks for responding.

I understand the directions. I'm unclear on 'once the heat exchanger is bypassed' I would like to upgrade the radiator to a MT one [that does not have the coolant loop]. Just wondering if anyone is knowledgeable about any differences ie : Other coolant lines or any waterpump related issues that would have to be addressed once I switched to a more robust non-AT radiator.

FWIW I will likely be going with the kit for my e90 once I figure out if it's possible to transition to a MT radiator after that trans cooler is installed.

thanks in advance.
(#57)
Old

Car: E90 LCI
Default 05-26-2019, 06:17 AM

is it 10AN straight through from the trans quick connect fittings all the way to the cooler?

any upcoming sale on the kit ? (given it doesn't come with thermostat and not sure of the cooler quality)
(#58)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 05-28-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohugh
Thanks for responding.

I understand the directions. I'm unclear on 'once the heat exchanger is bypassed' I would like to upgrade the radiator to a MT one [that does not have the coolant loop]. Just wondering if anyone is knowledgeable about any differences ie : Other coolant lines or any waterpump related issues that would have to be addressed once I switched to a more robust non-AT radiator.

FWIW I will likely be going with the kit for my e90 once I figure out if it's possible to transition to a MT radiator after that trans cooler is installed.

thanks in advance.
No you shouldn't have any issues if you want to go to an MT radiator upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msport335
is it 10AN straight through from the trans quick connect fittings all the way to the cooler?

any upcoming sale on the kit ? (given it doesn't come with thermostat and not sure of the cooler quality)
Yup! -10 AN all the way. No sales, we price everything very low to make it affordable for everyone. Piecing a trans cooler kit will eventually cost about $500-600.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#59)
Old

Car: 335i e90 n54
Default 06-03-2019, 09:14 AM

I would get your own SS lines and get the quick connect an fittings, as well as buy a cooler for way cheaper. I built an oil cooler with a $250 thermo and still 50 percent less. The cooler is not amazing. Looking back I would not pay $400 for the kit. Bracket is convenient but I weld on up and it works fine.
(#60)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-03-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APDE90N54
I would get your own SS lines and get the quick connect an fittings, as well as buy a cooler for way cheaper. I built an oil cooler with a $250 thermo and still 50 percent less. The cooler is not amazing. Looking back I would not pay $400 for the kit. Bracket is convenient but I weld on up and it works fine.
Nice!

Burger Motorsports

(#61)
Old

Car: 08 335xi
Default 06-05-2019, 09:05 AM

Can anyone in Arizona or somewhere hot let me know what their stock temps are in stop and go traffic?

I've had pretty good luck with this cooler but I noticed in 90 degree weather in stop and go my temps can still hit like 230 or so. I never logged my car in the summer with the old setup to see the difference

09 335 - 6266
07 335i - 6870, E85 - SOLD
08 335xi - 6466, custom direct port meth - SOLD
(#62)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-05-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan
Can anyone in Arizona or somewhere hot let me know what their stock temps are in stop and go traffic?

I've had pretty good luck with this cooler but I noticed in 90 degree weather in stop and go my temps can still hit like 230 or so. I never logged my car in the summer with the old setup to see the difference
I was initially testing this in 110* last year during the hot summer.

In stop and go traffic my temps got up to 190* at most. After some driving it went back down to 160ish. I'd have to look over my logs... if I can still find them

Burger Motorsports

(#63)
Old

Car: 08 335xi
Default 06-05-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I was initially testing this in 110* last year during the hot summer.

In stop and go traffic my temps got up to 190* at most. After some driving it went back down to 160ish. I'd have to look over my logs... if I can still find them
How long is your drive? My drive home is 45 min to 1 hour now thanks to the mass exodus of Californians lol

You guys still have traffic over there? jk

09 335 - 6266
07 335i - 6870, E85 - SOLD
08 335xi - 6466, custom direct port meth - SOLD
(#64)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-05-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan
How long is your drive? My drive home is 45 min to 1 hour now thanks to the mass exodus of Californians lol

You guys still have traffic over there? jk
Yes, my commute to work is 37 miles each way, so about 1 hour drive.
It's been really cool here, so maybe in a couple of weeks I'll get another log when the temps are 100+

Burger Motorsports

(#65)
Old

Car: 2014 335i
Default 06-11-2019, 03:42 PM

You guys should offer this kit with a thermostat option. I think being plug and play having that option would be attractive for many folks.

Any chance on coming out with an N54 oil cooler plug and play kit as well?
(#66)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-11-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKD126
You guys should offer this kit with a thermostat option. I think being plug and play having that option would be attractive for many folks.

Any chance on coming out with an N54 oil cooler plug and play kit as well?
Thermostat would bring cost up an additional $250, I might make it an option for those in colder weather. I haven't had any issues in our winter time when it gets 35* though. I'll look more into it though.

I don't think we'll be coming out with an oil cooler. Too many options already out, hard to compete with ebay at $100 for a PNP kit lol.

Burger Motorsports

(#67)
Old

Car: 2014 335i
Default 06-11-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Thermostat would bring cost up an additional $250, I might make it an option for those in colder weather. I haven't had any issues in our winter time when it gets 35* though. I'll look more into it though.

I don't think we'll be coming out with an oil cooler. Too many options already out, hard to compete with ebay at $100 for a PNP kit lol.
I live in Wisconsin, so the thermostat option would be awesome.