N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#3801)
Old

Car: 2011 335i
Default 05-06-2019, 05:59 PM

I just flashed the MHD backend flash to my DME for the first time (30 minute flash) but I left the JB4 on map5 rather than Map0 The DME took the flash and JB4 seems OK. I then modified an option on MHD, did an updated flash (2 minutes) with JB4 on Map0. All OK.
What harm might I have done in the initial flash? How to undo it?
(#3802)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 05-07-2019, 08:05 AM

If you have a fairly recent JB4 firmware, it should automatically switch to Map 0 when something is plugged into ODB port. You would have had an immediate problem trying to flash otherwise.
(#3803)
Old

Default 05-08-2019, 05:05 AM

Vorsprung thanks. It seems to be working.
I was wondering how existing JB4 settings interfered with this backend flash. The turbo seems very laggy and then abrupt. My WGDC idles at 45 and runs at 27 under minor load.
(#3804)
Old

Car: E92 335i
Question 05-15-2019, 12:12 PM

Hi, guys,

I am about to flash a BEF with a MHD and have some questions as it will be my first time flashing a BEF.

The list of my mods:
  • RB turbos (first gen.)
  • JB4
  • Stage 2 Bucketless LPFP
  • Aluminium charge pipe
  • Silicone inlets
  • DCI
  • Diverter valves
  • Fully catalyst less exhaust system
  • FMIC
  • Oil Cooler Kit
  • OCC
  • PCV valve

Basically, I have all the mods recommended for a BEF installed, except a 3.5bar TMAP sensor.
  1. Which map should I use with my mods?

For hybrid turbos, there are only E85 and race gas maps, while I mostly drive on pump (European - 98 RON, which is 93-94 AKI, I believe) or sometimes add up to 30% of E85. So, as far as I understand, I can’t use the E85 map/race gas maps. On the other hand, with a pump gas map I won’t take advantage of my upgraded turbos, no? So which map should I choose?

2. I don’t have an android phone, I will borrow my friend’s to flash with MHD. When I purchase the MHD “load a backend flash” license, can I flash a map just once or as many times as I want in the future? And is the license somehow connected to google play account (i.e. I will have to borrow the same friend’s mobile phone in the future in order to flash another map)?

3. There’s “I8A0S.xdf” file in the directory, when I unzip the maps. What does it do and why is it there? Should I copy it to a phone card's root directory as well?

Thanks in advance!
(#3805)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 05-15-2019, 12:38 PM

1. Start with the same map you run now, or start with map 1 and log. Always good to get a baseline and check for any issues first. Not sure why there isn't hybrid pump flash, I guess they figure most people who upgrade run E85 or meth. You may be octane limited anyway. You can always do some tuning on top of the regular flash. Without the TMAP you can't run over 20PSI though.

2. I think it ties to VIN, but not sure what happens if you use a different account or phone. Check with MHD directly. Remember to back up your stock BIN first!!!

3. The XDF is the mapping file if you want to edit a BIN manually in TunerPro, you don't need it to flash.
(#3806)
Old

Car: E92 335i
Default 05-15-2019, 12:47 PM

Thanks!

I now run latest pump map, but w/o a BEF.
This is the thing - no pump flash for hybrid turbos, which is quite weird...

OK, I will drop an e-mail to MHD.
Edit: found the answers regarding the account:

Quote:
Can I tune different cars with one license?
Each vehicle has its own unique license (VIN and google account locked), tuning a different car requires purchasing a new license.

Can I transfer my licenses?
Licenses are personal and stored by google along the account used at purchase time. The purchases are tied by google to the first account and can not be transferred to a new google account.
(#3807)
Old

Default 05-15-2019, 09:55 PM

Can someone take a look at this log.
MHD pump gas BEF

1. Why is the cell below E86 set to 2_4_6 ON? I am running pump gas and I thought it was set that way.
2. Do have an injector or a fuel pump or a O2 sensor issue. Most runs it switches to safe MAP 4 See line 15.
I note high AFR and timing to 0 then it switches or am I just pulling too much boost? Last error message is 3. Does my wgdc look strange .nIt is set at fully closed 99% as the log shows then it seems to settle at 45 during over run.
Attached Files
File Type: csv PumpGas.csv (4.8 KB, 9 views)
(#3808)
Old

Car: 2007 335i 6MT
Default 05-16-2019, 12:53 PM

Hi, I just purchased a 2007 335I that already has Bluetooth jb4 installed. The owner said it also had an MHD backend flash to the e85 tune and that he ran e40. I got an android tablet and cable, do I to purchase the flash again or will it show up when I open the mhd app?
(#3809)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 05-16-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budi
Hi, I just purchased a 2007 335I that already has Bluetooth jb4 installed. The owner said it also had an MHD backend flash to the e85 tune and that he ran e40. I got an android tablet and cable, do I to purchase the flash again or will it show up when I open the mhd app?
Either way, you need to purchase a license for yourself under your google account to be able to read the DME. If the flash is already on the DME, you won't need to purchase it again, unless it was reset.
(#3810)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default 05-22-2019, 11:52 AM

hey everyone. looking to do mhd today as a back end to my jb4. im looking for a stage 2+ map to download can you guys point me in the right direction as to where to find and download it? and also just to confirm I only need to buy the back end flasher for 79.99? thanks!
(#3811)
Old

Car: 07 E90 335i
Default 05-22-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmick5jr
hey everyone. looking to do mhd today as a back end to my jb4. im looking for a stage 2+ map to download can you guys point me in the right direction as to where to find and download it? and also just to confirm I only need to buy the back end flasher for 79.99? thanks!
The BEF maps provided by BMS is located at the bottom in Post#1 of this thread.

Read the first page of this thread and it explains what BEF you should use.

if you are only gonna use BEF the all you need is the MHD Back end flash license. If you plan to go FULL flash later then you'll need to purchase the full flash license. I think you just pay the difference.

07 E90 AT - xHP
JB4 G5 - Trebila BEF
FBO
Hybrids
(#3812)
Old

Default 05-22-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynpunch
The BEF maps provided by BMS is located at the bottom in Post#1 of this thread.

Read the first page of this thread and it explains what BEF you should use.

if you are only gonna use BEF the all you need is the MHD Back end flash license. If you plan to go FULL flash later then you'll need to purchase the full flash license. I think you just pay the difference.
when I open the file im still confused as to which one I should pick. my car is a 2008 e92 with full bolt ons. I want something comparable to the stage 2+. could you show me which one I should use?
(#3813)
Old

Car: 07 E90 335i
Default 05-22-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
when I open the file im still confused as to which one I should pick. my car is a 2008 e92 with full bolt ons. I want something comparable to the stage 2+. could you show me which one I should use?
Start with whatever suits your fuel type / Software version found at the bottom of post#1 of this thread. READ back end flash map templates

Fuel Type: PUMP is suitable for pump gas fuels and up to 30% E85, RACE has more aggressive timing curves best used with higher octane fuels, while E85 has timing and air/fuel ratios best suited to E40 and higher mixtures.

Software Version: IJE0S for MSD81 (most 2008 and newer cars), I8A0S for MSD80 (most 2007 and early 2008), INA0S for 335is models, and IKM0S for 1M models.

07 E90 AT - xHP
JB4 G5 - Trebila BEF
FBO
Hybrids
(#3814)
Old

Default 05-22-2019, 05:11 PM

I downloaded the pump USA version and the burble part of the tune doesn't seem to work. Would the non USA pump make them louder?
(#3815)
Old

Default 05-22-2019, 09:25 PM

I attempted to flash a pump jb4 backend, estimate was 2 minutes since it was running an e85 flash already. 20min later, still at 0%, I close the app and all my attempts to flash anything after have failed, cannot even flash a stock map, "Ecu in recovery mode" with voltage at 0. Sometimes it goes to like 4% then stops and says it cannot connect and gives a packet #. Car will keep cranking but not start now, cannot connect to jb4 via steering wheel or Bluetooth. I moved my seat back during the first flash, did this cause damage? I also was using an amazon cable, ordered the bimmergeeks one and waiting for it to come, meanwhile had to push car into garage and disconnected battery for a few hours, but ecu did not reset when I tried again. I was using the "DieHard 71219 6/12V Shelf Smart Battery Charger and 2A Maintainer" on Amazon as well.

Will the right cable help me connect? Why won't my car turn on now, the cable connects to the app but it can't retrieve dme codes, but when I first tried before the initial flash I could read the codes
(#3816)
Old

Default 05-24-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I attempted to flash a pump jb4 backend, estimate was 2 minutes since it was running an e85 flash already. 20min later, still at 0%, I close the app and all my attempts to flash anything after have failed, cannot even flash a stock map, "Ecu in recovery mode" with voltage at 0. Sometimes it goes to like 4% then stops and says it cannot connect and gives a packet #. Car will keep cranking but not start now, cannot connect to jb4 via steering wheel or Bluetooth. I moved my seat back during the first flash, did this cause damage? I also was using an amazon cable, ordered the bimmergeeks one and waiting for it to come, meanwhile had to push car into garage and disconnected battery for a few hours, but ecu did not reset when I tried again. I was using the "DieHard 71219 6/12V Shelf Smart Battery Charger and 2A Maintainer" on Amazon as well.

Will the right cable help me connect? Why won't my car turn on now, the cable connects to the app but it can't retrieve dme codes, but when I first tried before the initial flash I could read the codes
What android device did you use?
Did you use the correct file for your car?
Voltage at zero seems to point to a cable issue i would guess.
Where do you live?
(#3817)
Old

Default 05-25-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieatlarge
What android device did you use?
Did you use the correct file for your car?
Voltage at zero seems to point to a cable issue i would guess.
Where do you live?
I used the right file, and I'm in the Chicago area

-LG GPad X2 8.0 Plus V530 32 GB Tablet, Black WiFi T-Mobile

I'm just waiting for the cable to come now, all my attempts have failed so far
(#3818)
Old

Car: 09 335xi FBO
Default 05-26-2019, 07:50 AM

I’m so lost. I currently have a JB4 with a backend flash. I have a custom tune from Wedge Performance just waiting to be flashed but I’m under the impression I won’t be able to use my JB4 mobile phone gauges. Is this true? Is there anyway I can use Wedge’s custom flash and still be able to log and read my JB4 mobile app gauges? Please any info would be appreciated
(#3819)
Old
Legend

Car: 335i E92 2009
Default 05-28-2019, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyzack99
I’m so lost. I currently have a JB4 with a backend flash. I have a custom tune from Wedge Performance just waiting to be flashed but I’m under the impression I won’t be able to use my JB4 mobile phone gauges. Is this true? Is there anyway I can use Wedge’s custom flash and still be able to log and read my JB4 mobile app gauges? Please any info would be appreciated
if your Wedge custom flash is tuned based that you have JB4 then you have no issues replacing your existing BMS backend flash.

09 E92 335i - Hot-Climate Middle East package, M Sports suspension, 19" Rims, 6AT fully built internals, bushings, raybestos clutches and sonnax with xHP stage 3, Differential lockdown, New RB Turbo CHRA, JB4 - Map 3 70 adder with N20 TMAP - MHD BMS Race Flash with Tuned Duty Bais and PID - BMS Oil Cooler Valve - RB PCV - K&N DCI - AFE Air Scoops - 98 Super Fuel - WAGNER FMIC - 3" down's, RB Inlets- BMS charge pipe With Tial BOV - BMS Meth Kit with FSB, 30/70 Water/Meth on CM12 nozzle
(#3820)
Old

Default 05-28-2019, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyzack99
Yes. You should still be able to use your JB4 gauges. This should help...

JB4 Gauges - Google Drive
(#3821)
Old

Car: 2009 335i
Default 05-28-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
I downloaded the pump USA version and the burble part of the tune doesn't seem to work. Would the non USA pump make them louder?
same issue. just flashed over the weekend. so far, power seems to be down a bit but overall it runs smoother. new plugs/coil packs as well. fresh oil, etc. all the other normal stuff is good as well.

so no noticeable burble at all. boost needle (on fuel gauge) seems to be showing good boost, but it just doesn't feel like it's making the same power as JB4 alone.

any thoughts?

2009 E92 with BMS DCI, 2nd catalytic delete with a JB4
2016 F800GT
(#3822)
Old

Default 05-28-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportinsflying
same issue. just flashed over the weekend. so far, power seems to be down a bit but overall it runs smoother. new plugs/coil packs as well. fresh oil, etc. all the other normal stuff is good as well.

so no noticeable burble at all. boost needle (on fuel gauge) seems to be showing good boost, but it just doesn't feel like it's making the same power as JB4 alone.

any thoughts?
you took the words right out of my mouth. the car definitely felt slower after the flash so I took it off. it also didn't burble any louder so that's upsetting lol.
(#3823)
Old

Default 05-28-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
I used the right file, and I'm in the Chicago area

-LG GPad X2 8.0 Plus V530 32 GB Tablet, Black WiFi T-Mobile

I'm just waiting for the cable to come now, all my attempts have failed so far
I don't think you did any damage. I had the same issue. Unfortunately, the BMS cables are cheaply made. I ended up buying a Twisted Tuning cable and finished the flash that way once it came in.
(#3824)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW 335i
Default 05-28-2019, 08:49 PM

I have bought a flash only tuned 335 and want to make a backup using MHD before I flash JB4 BEF and install JB4. The strange thing that MHD seems not do a backup but rather looks up a factory firmware in its database and saves it as if it was backup from my car. Is there option or procedure to force MHD to make an actual backup of DME?
(#3825)
Old

Car: 2009 335i
Default mhd help - 05-29-2019, 05:35 AM

Quote:
you took the words right out of my mouth. the car definitely felt slower after the flash so I took it off. it also didn't burble any louder so that's upsetting lol.
so maybe Terry @ BMS or someone at MHD can provide some insight? The car seemed to have a bit more pick up this am on the way to work, maybe it just takes time to adjust the DME like a learning process. I know MAP 5 on the JB4 takes time to make the most power so maybe we just wait lol

2009 E92 with BMS DCI, 2nd catalytic delete with a JB4
2016 F800GT