N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 335xi
Default Modded N54 High altitude stalling from a stop - 04-09-2018, 03:34 PM

Hello Fellas, Had something odd pop up over the weekend and wanted to run it by here and see if anyone has ever experienced it. First off, Car and Mods: 2008 e90 335xi, 6hp21x automatic just rebuilt with REVmax VB, stepped intercooler, VTT stage 2's, no catalytic converters, BMS intake air filters, JB4 and MHD bef, VTT PCV valve, VTT 2" inlets, Aluminum chargepipe w/TIal blowoff valve, 3.5 bar T-map, Mishimoto Oil catch can.

Story: Live in Colorado. Went to 11,500' and parked for 3 hours. When restarted it was fine. Began to leave parking lot and when accelerating from parking lot to paved road it stalled. Would restart perfectly and idled smooth. Put into gear again and it stalled. Restarted and revved in park, this is when it stumbled between 1k and 2k RPMS. This happened once before at another resort a few months ago. But this time it took 10 times of restarting and slamming into drive with rpms up to get going down the road and to take the stress off my passenger LOL! Finally went and i kept in manual mode(above 2k) until i could see Denver then i put in drive and it was fine.

I did all this work to this car myself. I am a technician by trade. I did not take a log when this was happening due to the immediate urgency to get going out of traffic. I will drive back up to the Eisenhour tunnel on Thursday with the shop scanner and the Tablet hooked up to the JB4 to see if anything comes up. I went to another town 2 weekends ago and the half engine popped up and it would not rev past 3k(limp home). Agian, needed to get along my way so i reset it with the JB4 controls(stinks cause i lost all stored codes that could have helped me). I am hoping my 3 hour mountain test drive ends in 2 ways: Me not on a tow truck and some codes pop up while i have the test equipment hooked up.

I guess i am on here to see if there is a slight chance anyone has ever seen this before where these tunes do not adapt to elevation. Or i dont't have the tmap programmed into the JB4 correctly(i did select 1 in the tables), or A/F sensor. I will work this problem out but this site has been so helpful to me i thought stating the problem and providing a solution could be of some help to someone else. Thanks in advance folks!

08 335xi. Vargas stage 2 turbo set, Mishimoto oil catch can, Vargas PCV, Vargas inlets, VRSF converter-less , BMS converter fix, BMS DCI's, Walnut blast every 30k, upgraded oil cooler.
(#2)
Old

Default 04-09-2018, 03:51 PM

Oh i also wanted to state that during the restarts i tried different JB4 MAp options. I turned it all the way off (0,0), Can activated (0,2), Map 1, Map 2, Map 5. All same symptoms.

08 335xi. Vargas stage 2 turbo set, Mishimoto oil catch can, Vargas PCV, Vargas inlets, VRSF converter-less , BMS converter fix, BMS DCI's, Walnut blast every 30k, upgraded oil cooler.
(#3)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 04-09-2018, 10:26 PM

Very odd, post codes if any when you can.

http://www.fuel-it.biz/

e92 AT 335xi 2.0
Doc Race Kit 6062
Fuel-It!Platinum DIY PI Kit + Stage 2BL
(#4)
Old

Default 05-07-2018, 08:43 AM

Ok, checking back. I was finally able to take a drive long enough, with scanner, to get the problem to reoccur. Code 2ABD - boost control. Only at high altitude. Im running A JB4 with MHD backend flash. Map 6 with the base readings that is posted on this forum and i changed the setting to 3.5 bar map. Maybe i should check to see if the setting is still the same.

(#5)
Old

Car: 2009 BMW 335i
Default 04-02-2019, 09:39 AM

Did you ever get the issue sorted out?
(#6)
Old

Default 04-02-2019, 10:01 AM

Yea, MHD BEF and JB4 are awful together. Caused a stumble during part throttle accelerating also. My setup isnt anything special. I kept the JB4 in CAN only mode for the accessories it has. MHD tunes are awful. Had mine turned with Hp and it does everything I want.