Old

Car: Kia forte koup sx 1.6t 2015
Default 03-24-2021, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Fuel wire attached or not?
No. Just running shell 93.

Haven't tried map 2 yet.

Was thinking about giving it a go tonight.
(#4127)
Old

Car: Stinger 3.3T
Default 03-24-2021, 01:36 PM

Ok, so, i had a local performance shop gap and reinstall new plugs to rule out any errors a noob like myself might have made swapping plugs the first two times. Im now on my third set of plugs, and the car is still pulling timing like crazy. Figures as high as 10.5 at wot. This is shell 91 with 6oz of boostane. It pulls timing like this on all maps. Should i just uninstall the jb4 and run it stock? Or is there something else i could try before throwing in the towel?
(#4128)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-24-2021, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakohero
Ok, so, i had a local performance shop gap and reinstall new plugs to rule out any errors a noob like myself might have made swapping plugs the first two times. Im now on my third set of plugs, and the car is still pulling timing like crazy. Figures as high as 10.5 at wot. This is shell 91 with 6oz of boostane. It pulls timing like this on all maps. Should i just uninstall the jb4 and run it stock? Or is there something else i could try before throwing in the towel?
Post up a map0 and map1 log and lets check it out. If the fuel is particularly bad you just need to live with the timing drops and manage the risk by managing the power output. Something like map6 set to 2psi across the board might be a good way to go, for example. We have a few 89 octane only customers who run like that.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4129)
Old

Default 03-24-2021, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Post up a map0 and map1 log and lets check it out. If the fuel is particularly bad you just need to live with the timing drops and manage the risk by managing the power output. Something like map6 set to 2psi across the board might be a good way to go, for example. We have a few 89 octane only customers who run like that.
Hey terry, i grabbed a map 1 3rd gear log, hard for me to get anything other than third gear pulls but heres this log for now. To add, this was one of the better looking logs, but still had some timing in some areas that seems off.
Attached Files
File Type: csv P21_M1_R1_210324_183744.csv (23.7 KB, 136 views)
(#4130)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-24-2021, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakohero
Hey terry, i grabbed a map 1 3rd gear log, hard for me to get anything other than third gear pulls but heres this log for now. To add, this was one of the better looking logs, but still had some timing in some areas that seems off.
Doesn't seem that bad to me
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4131)
Old

Default 03-24-2021, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Doesn't seem that bad to me
Okay, thanks for taking a look terry. Ill try to grab a few more logs on map 1 and 0 tomorrow to get a better look. Would you recommend trying to adifferent shell station, or not adding any boostane at all just to see how the car handles it? I figure the shell 91 on its own should be fine for map 1. Ive never managed to grab any logs without octane booster.
(#4132)
Old

Default 03-26-2021, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redkoup85
Ok. Fua = 2
Hey Terry after turning on fua to 2. I tried map 2 and did some 0 to 60 runs... I tried to do each. And in all of them it seemed like when reaching peak boost the bov just gives up and completely releases boost. No codes. Just completely loses boost and goes limp.... I noticed the app gauges screen freezes in time as well.

I didn't have the option to disable grouping the logs. Off But here it is happening 3 times in a row. Any idea ??
Attached Files
File Type: csv P21_M1_R4_210324_0700.csv (16.1 KB, 120 views)
(#4133)
Old

Default 03-26-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Ok. Fua = 2

Here's my map 1 run. No fuel wire
(#4134)
Old

Default 03-26-2021, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Sorry forgot to attach
Attached Files
File Type: csv P21_M1_R2_210323_2046.csv (18.2 KB, 147 views)
(#4135)
Old

Car: 2020 Kia Forte GT
Default 03-27-2021, 01:53 AM

I don't know why people are sheepish with the Boostane. Dump the entire bottle in there, oh but you wanna save money.

I've done the calculations a few times, it's slightly less than race gas per gallon.

Do this -

Call up your local VP or Sunoco or F&L dealer and get a 5 gallon pale of M1 methanol.

I've done this it's harmless to the car, the converters, all that stuff. If you look at the MSDS sheet it's only a little worse than E85.

Blend it with pump fuel whatever you got available up to 30% (M30) but you should see sizable gains and ZERO ignition pull at 20% (M20). It will make more power M30 and the car does with 30% E85 (E30).

It has more BTU and absorbs heat better than E85 = more power

Much cheaper than buying a case of Boostane which I wouldn't bother with especially if all your doing is fun runs on the street, Terry has keep telling you to do longer 3rd/4th gear pulls for better logs.

Geez guys find a drag strip already. Since the tracks are closed in SoCal I have to make the trip up to Sacramento or Sonoma, so 5-5.5 hour drive ONE way, over 10 hours on the road both ways and 700 miles round trip, so you have no excuses.
(#4136)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-27-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Hey Terry after turning on fua to 2. I tried map 2 and did some 0 to 60 runs... I tried to do each. And in all of them it seemed like when reaching peak boost the bov just gives up and completely releases boost. No codes. Just completely loses boost and goes limp.... I noticed the app gauges screen freezes in time as well.

I didn't have the option to disable grouping the logs. Off But here it is happening 3 times in a row. Any idea ??
OK this might be a 2580 problem. Email me your address and we'll get one out. terry@burgertuning.com

Burger Motorsports

(#4137)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-27-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Map1 looks OK, app did not freeze on map1? You're not going 100% on gas pedal. Floor mat blocking it perhaps?
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#4138)
Old

Car: Stinger
Default Firmware Version 21/22//5 - 03-27-2021, 04:17 PM

Is this the latest version?
(#4139)
Old

Car: 2017 Q60 RS
Talking ECU Tune Advice please Terry - 03-29-2021, 05:01 PM

Hi Terry, got the tune installed and did s short run 0 - 180kmh without launch on Map 0 attached. Any advice on settings to optimize things will be greatly received. This was without booster juice which I havenít used for 2 tanks but will be running higher octane in the 97 region. Only done 20 minutes on it but feel it can be smoothed out.

Thanks as always for your awesome support.

Looking forward to this combo so much..

Twister
Attached Files
File Type: csv P21_M0_R1_DAT_210329_1823.csv (32.0 KB, 133 views)

Twister

2021 Genesis 3.3T
Siberian Ice
JB4 kit with EWGs MAP 2 94RON

Feeling the JB4 difference
(#4140)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-30-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notauser
Is this the latest version?
Yes

Burger Motorsports

(#4141)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-30-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister68
Hi Terry, got the tune installed and did s short run 0 - 180kmh without launch on Map 0 attached. Any advice on settings to optimize things will be greatly received. This was without booster juice which I havenít used for 2 tanks but will be running higher octane in the 97 region. Only done 20 minutes on it but feel it can be smoothed out.

Thanks as always for your awesome support.

Looking forward to this combo so much..

Twister
OK so far so good. Set map6 to 2.0psi across the board and log map6 for me next.

Burger Motorsports

(#4142)
Old

Car: G70
Default 04-01-2021, 11:49 AM

What software you guys using f or map viewing on the computer? id like to get something so i can compare my maps better. trying to wrap my headaround ign1 and trims
(#4143)
Old

Car: 2020 Kia Forte GT
Default 04-01-2021, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dats240z
What software you guys using for map viewing on the computer? id like to get something so i can compare my maps better. trying to wrap my head around ign1 and trims
JB4 laptop connection directions - N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#4144)
Old

Car: 2017 Q60 RS
Unhappy Terry - Quick run with MAP 6 +2 PSI - 04-02-2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
OK so far so good. Set map6 to 2.0psi across the board and log map6 for me next.
Thanks Terry, just tried a run with +2 on MAP 6, settings attached here also

Finally under 4 & 12 but know it can be much better on this tune

Twister
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: csv P21_M6_R1_DAT_210402_1520.csv (148.9 KB, 124 views)

Twister

2021 Genesis 3.3T
Siberian Ice
JB4 kit with EWGs MAP 2 94RON

Feeling the JB4 difference
(#4145)
Old

Car: Hyundai Veloster Turbo 1.6T
Default Ignition/throttle dips - 04-03-2021, 11:36 AM

Would anyone be able to tell me why my throttle/ignition would dip like in this log?
Attached Files
File Type: csv test.csv (52.1 KB, 126 views)
(#4146)
Old

Car: 2018 Kia Stinger GT1 AWD
Default Log checks for map 3 issues and in general - 04-03-2021, 01:12 PM

Hey everyone! I recently purchased a 2018 Kia Stinger GT1 AWD (~27K miles), and mods to go along with it shortly after (full list at bottom of post). This was all within the month of March.

I've been having some strange and somewhat intermittent issues that seem isolated to map 3, primarily when shifting from 1st to 2nd, and odd behavior when using the Lagfix/DWP setting. Would anyone be able to take a peek at some logs for me and suggest some possible ideas or troubleshooting next steps? I'd really appreciate it!

I'll point to the log ending in "105157" first. Right as 2nd engages, AFR briefly jumps over 17, and triggered the lean AFR safety.

This was with automatic shifting. However, I've since tried shifting manually, upwards of 3-400RPM earlier, and occasionally will still trigger this very issue. It seems isolated to the 1st-2nd shift. I am not always able to reproduce the issue. I've also changed up my gas since, though am still on a roughly E27 or so mixture.

I also thought perhaps this was because it might have been cold (high 30s F), but it recently happened in the high 50s. Unfortunately, I wasn't logging for these other instances, so I can only report anecdotally from monitoring the app, subjective feel, and based on the last error code when it dropped back to map 0 (sometimes fully disabling boost).

The log ending in "104651" was one I took just prior to the primary log with the issue. I noticed similar AFR behavior in the 1st-2nd shift, but not enough to trigger any safety mechanisms. Car felt fine as well.

You'll also see a handful of map 2 logs from the same date, a map 3 log from 3/23, and a map 2 log from 3/21 as additional data point references. Admittedly, I can't recall with full accuracy if I had any issues during those runs, but I don't believe so.

Lastly, the log ending in "1647" is one where I drove around on map 3 and the lagfix/DWP setting at 80, I believe. Apologies in advance if this log is hard to gleam info from easily, as I hadn't yet realized I could disable log combinations. Car behaved fine once I set DWP back to 0, so I was hesitant to play with it any further at lower or higher values.

I believe somewhere in that log was an attempt to do a short pull from a stop or very low speed, only to almost immediately run into some sort of stuttering or misfiring. It felt pretty dang awful, to be honest! However, since I have yet to encounter anything like this with DWP at 0, I'm more concerned about the other issue I'm having on map 3.

I will also mention I'm in the Colorado front range, so I'm generally driving anywhere from 6-7000ft above sea level. I know that can pose some interesting problems for cars.

Thank you in advance, and please let me know if there's anything else I can try or data to collect and send!

Full car and mod list
2018 Kia Stinger GT1 AWD ~27K miles
JB4 w/ BT adapter (latest beta FW, latest app)
Fuel wires connected
Denso 5346 IKH24a plugs, gapped to 0.022"
BMS dual intake
BMS zero maintenance oil catch can
Fuel-It flex fuel kit (running roughly E25-E28), pin 4, bit 0 set on WMI page
MBRP catback exhaust
Attached Files
File Type: csv P21_M3_R1_210325_105157.csv (10.2 KB, 129 views)
File Type: csv P21_M3_R1_210325_104651.csv (13.8 KB, 118 views)
File Type: csv P21_M2_R1_210325_105830.csv (11.0 KB, 139 views)
File Type: csv P21_M2_R1_210325_110059.csv (9.9 KB, 126 views)
File Type: csv P21_M2_R1_210325_120115.csv (36.5 KB, 129 views)
File Type: csv P21_M3_R1_210323_182542.csv (33.8 KB, 137 views)
File Type: csv P21_M2_R1_210321_205434.csv (17.7 KB, 117 views)
File Type: csv P21_M3_R4_210321_1647.csv (98.0 KB, 143 views)
(#4147)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-03-2021, 03:06 PM

On the logs app needs to be set to combine so they are all in one file. Takes too long to download, open, and search 7 separate log files.

Nothing jumps out as problematic on the "problem" log. You've got more timing corrections than you should have for map3 and E30, so map2 is likely a better fit for that specific fuel quality.

DWP/Lagfix is an experimental feature so if it's not working out for you leave it disabled with DWP = 0.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

(#4148)
Old

Car: 2018 Kia Stinger GT1 AWD
Default 04-03-2021, 09:09 PM

Quote:
On the logs app needs to be set to combine so they are all in one file. Takes too long to download, open, and search 7 separate log files.

Nothing jumps out as problematic on the "problem" log. You've got more timing corrections than you should have for map3 and E30, so map2 is likely a better fit for that specific fuel quality.

DWP/Lagfix is an experimental feature so if it's not working out for you leave it disabled with DWP = 0.
Thanks for the quick response! Noted on keeping logs combined. I'll be sure to do that from here on out. Sorry for the trouble!

In case it helps, I've attached a graph screenshot for the problem run I did where AFR spiked on what seemed like the 1st to 2nd shift. I'm not totally certain since it doesn't line up with when the graph shows the actual gear change. Either way, I've circled that spike and added a couple reference lines. It was enough to flag the lean AFR error and bump me down to map 0. (Perhaps it was intentional, but I think your screenshot was of a run where this didn't happen.)

This seems common on my logs, in the 1st to 2nd gear transition, even with map. But it seems map 3 is more likely to spike high enough to trigger the error and bump me down to map 0.

Any ideas on that? Is it tied to timing corrections, or something separate?

On the timing corrections, would this largely be caused by fuel quality? Any other causes or troubleshooting steps I can try? I guess I also want to be sure it wasn't user error when installing the mods. Otherwise, I can get more logs over time to see if gas quality was a factor in this case.

And, yeah, I knew lagfix/DWP is in beta. Just thought I'd report in case it's useful info or in case there was something else I might have missed about it.

Thanks again for the help!
Attached Images

(#4149)
Old
Tuner

Default 04-04-2021, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdingus
Thanks for the quick response! Noted on keeping logs combined. I'll be sure to do that from here on out. Sorry for the trouble!

Thanks again for the help!
The AFR reading reports lean during shifts because fuel is momentarily cutoff by the ECU. So AFR goes to infinity.

If you were going to map0 at that moment you'd see target drop (and the map logging parameter change to 0). Doesn't appear to be the case in your photo. Next time you have a combined log that goes to map0 post it and I can scroll along to see what it happened.

Timing corrections give you insight in to how the boost profile is working for the octane and current conditions. In a simple format if they are higher than you want then you need less boost and/or higher octane. Of course ambient temperatures, bolt on mods, vehicle load, etc, all play a role as well.

Burger Motorsports

(#4150)
Old

Car: 2018 Stinger GT AWD
Default E85 shows 0 after firmware update to v23 - 04-05-2021, 06:06 AM

I updated to v23 firmware and my ethanol sensor reading went to 0 afterwards. I was getting good reading before using firmware v15. Did I miss something in the release notes?