JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2018 Stinger GT AWD
Default Data logging, additional CANbus metrics? - 08-01-2019, 10:28 AM

I have the JB4 with the CANbus and Bluetooth connect kit on my 2018 Kia Stinger GT AWD.

I am wondering if I am able to access any additional metrics from the JB4 besides the ones that are available through the logs or gauges. In other vehicles using a bluetooth ODB2 scanner and an app like Torque I was able to look at a whole host of OBD2 sensor data. Just curious if the JB4 has access to those same PIDs or not. Also, would a hardwire to my laptop running the JB4 windows software give me any additional features?
(#2)
Old

Car: Stinger GT1 3.3t
Default 08-02-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperjetta
I have the JB4 with the CANbus and Bluetooth connect kit on my 2018 Kia Stinger GT AWD.

I am wondering if I am able to access any additional metrics from the JB4 besides the ones that are available through the logs or gauges. In other vehicles using a bluetooth ODB2 scanner and an app like Torque I was able to look at a whole host of OBD2 sensor data. Just curious if the JB4 has access to those same PIDs or not. Also, would a hardwire to my laptop running the JB4 windows software give me any additional features?
Only speculating here, but I'm guessing the reason for the limited data on the JB4 could be due to the CAN Gateway....

In 2017 Kia implemented a CAN gateway (firewall) to the ODBII port restrict certain read functions (and all write functions) from being accessible through ODBII without proper token authentication via a VCI II Diagnostic device and using the KDS software. Previously, one could use any VCI I clone unit (which go for about $100) in combination with the KDS/GDS PC software to access functions such as ECU firmware updates, Keyfob programming, advanced diagnostics. To combat the potential for abuse (for now), and it was abused by car thieves, resellers changing mileage, they've added a new gateway and made the VCI II ridiculously expensive (around $5k for the kit with tablet, cables, software, etc) and only sell it to dealers. Also, the VCI II only works with a Samsung Galaxy tablet that uses mobile apps requiring KIA provided credentials to work. Exceptionally more difficult to obtain one to reverse engineer it and I'm not about to spend $2k+ for the VCI II unit to figure out how the authentication works, but if anyone wants to buy or lend me one, I won't say no

In working on decoding the CANBus with other KIA people in Russia and Australia, it seems this gateway (firewall) is not implemented in all variants of the Stingers/G70's, so functionality of what's available via ODBII CAN
varies between regions, further complicating things.

After decompiling the Android system pulled off of the head unit via soldering the memory chip (android engineer menu is locked out completely for all USA/CAN Stingers, curiously still works for Russia, Australia, and Korea), I found a lot of region specific coding variants and encryption methods used based on regions. These are subject to change with each upgrade of the ECU or head unit firmware revision so finding a one-fits-all solution will be difficult. The work could potentially allow us to remove the restrictions via custom firmware, but it's not a guarantee.

Still falling down the rabbit hole.

Last edited by bal; 08-02-2019 at 02:05 PM..
(#3)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-02-2019, 08:29 PM

We've added everything we think is important and that we have access to. If there is something else you can think of let me know and I'll consider it.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4)
Old

Default 08-05-2019, 10:22 AM

Mostly I'm interested in getting the engine oil and transmission oil temps.
(#5)
Old

Default 08-06-2019, 05:35 AM

Actually, assuming the engine oil temp should be close to the coolant temp, the only thing I'm still eager to see are the trans oil temps. I hooked up my torque pro app (I have the Kia plugin for torque) and I can get a reading from the trans temp sensor, but since the Kia plugin doesn't have a Stinger specific profile I think the sensor information is getting converted incorrectly. The trans temps are reading -41*C, which is obviously not correct for a car that has been warmed up to operating temperature.
(#6)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-09-2019, 08:33 PM

See if it ever changes...

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.