N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2017 Jetta GLI
Default Fuel economy with JB4? - 08-18-2018, 09:52 AM

Hey guys, just curious, but for those who have had there JB4's installed for a while and can drive it normally, are you guys seeing better or worse fuel economy?

LoL, for most people when first intalling the JB1 or JB4 your gas mileage sucks due to all the new power...

Thanks
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-18-2018, 10:35 AM

As tuned it won't have any effect at low throttle. At high throttle, more power, takes more fuel. So it's all about how you drive it.

Speaking of which, any interest in a VW valet / low boost map?
Attached Files
File Type: hex VW_JB4_OBDII_7_TEST1.hex (66.9 KB, 212 views)

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Car: Jetta MK6 2.0 TSI 211CV
Send a message via Skype™ to mavalenca
Default 08-18-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
As tuned it won't have any effect at low throttle. At high throttle, more power, takes more fuel. So it's all about how you drive it.

How do I enable valet mode?
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-18-2018, 09:02 PM

It's in map4 on that test firmware above I posted so a customer could download. Will post some more details once its better tested.

If you want to give it a whirl though just load it, select map4, and record a log or to so we can verify its working right!

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 08-19-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:

Yes! I would be interested in trying this. I'm actually taking a long trip 1000+ miles in September. And would like to try it.

On a related note. My wife just got back from a 300 mile trip and before she left I turned off the Tune and just put it back to Map 0. To my amazement when she got back I checked fuel consumption and she averaged 37.4! what!! Now bear in mind my wife isn't a very slow driver, but the roads she was on where usually 55-65 mph and she did use cruise quite a bit.

I'm still shocked.. lol
(#6)
Old

Default 08-20-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
It's in map4 on that test firmware above I posted so a customer could download. Will post some more details once its better tested.

If you want to give it a whirl though just load it, select map4, and record a log or to so we can verify its working right!
JB4 updated successfully.
Tomorrow I will try using map4 and record some logs.
Attached Images

(#7)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-20-2018, 09:46 AM

OK thanks let me know how you like it!

Burger Motorsports

(#8)
Old

Default 08-20-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
OK thanks let me know how you like it!
Terry,

It works"

Switched to map4 and the car completely lost the power.

I've collected some logs. Here is the best pull (2nd gear) that I could record.

When I changed back to map6, I believe the ECU took some time to adapt again. After 2 or 3 pulls the car was perfect again.

Really nice job in this firmware!!!
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-08-20 18_22_07 (Jetta).csv (9.9 KB, 107 views)
(#9)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-20-2018, 09:16 PM

Nice, log looks good!

Burger Motorsports

(#10)
Old

Default 08-21-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Nice, log looks good!
Hey Terry, I haven't had a change to update the firmware yet, but what about a map for 87 octane? Maybe like a high fuel economy map that uses 87?

Thanks!
(#11)
Old

Car: Golf R variant mk7.5
Default 08-22-2018, 08:04 PM

Hi Terry, I have also tried out map 4 with this sw. Man, it was slow almost funny how slow it was. I wonder how much power you really loose with that map? Here is the log
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-08-23 04_27_12Map_4.csv (14.8 KB, 120 views)
(#12)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-22-2018, 08:07 PM

Map4 is probably great for 87 octane. Or 85 octane, lol!

Log looks good!

Burger Motorsports

(#13)
Old

Car: Golf R variant mk7.5
Default 08-22-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Map4 is probably great for 87 octane. Or 85 octane, lol!

Log looks good!
Thanks great! Btw. one more question is the sw otherwise the same as the official release?
Meaning that can I use it normally for other maps etc.? Or should I go back to older firmware if I don't like to try the valet mode(map4)?
(#14)
Old
Tuner

Default 08-22-2018, 08:49 PM

It's just a change to map4, all other maps are unchanged from the latest version. But for any firmware specific questions, best to run that by George as he manages that end.

Burger Motorsports

(#15)
Old

Car: Audi A3
Default 09-18-2018, 06:37 PM

Hi Terry,

So Map4 is the Valet Mode.
Any improvements in the other maps?

Regards,
(#16)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-18-2018, 08:05 PM

No major map changes but a few minor bug fixes and things as they are reported to George.

Burger Motorsports

(#17)
Old

Car: VW Alltrack
Default 11-26-2018, 10:19 AM

Drove about 10 miles on the Map 4 yesterday. Any worries driving on this map for a nice long 150 mile highway drive? The car definitely doesn't want to build boost on map 4 but it probably helps fuel economy when using cruise control.
(#18)
Old

Car: E90 BMW 335i AT
Default 11-26-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuMBLe
Drove about 10 miles on the Map 4 yesterday. Any worries driving on this map for a nice long 150 mile highway drive? The car definitely doesn't want to build boost on map 4 but it probably helps fuel economy when using cruise control.
No long term concerns. It just cuts the boost. If the car takes major strain in it the ECU will trigger a underboost code.

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
(#19)
Old

Car: Audi SQ5
Default 02-16-2019, 02:39 PM

I haven't been able to try out the valet yet, but how neutered is it? Are we talking like driving a NA 3.0 vs turbo?

I have a daughter that is reaching driving age, and am interested in popping it into this mode as "new driver mode" assuming it's not stupid crippled that could place her in a bad situation due to substantial lack of power.
(#20)
Old

Car: E90 BMW 335i AT
Default 02-16-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wires

I have a daughter that is reaching driving age, and am interested in popping it into this mode as "new driver mode" assuming it's not stupid crippled that could place her in a bad situation due to substantial lack of power.
Best bet is to test it yourself since your kid is going to use it and see. On our side we can adjust it to a extent but since its the safety map have set it conservative so the average users can feel the car has switched to it.

2014 VW Golf 7 R
2014 VW Golf GTI
2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
(#21)
Old

Car: Audi SQ5
Default 02-17-2019, 07:26 AM

That was the plan, but the weather has been absolute crap for the past couple of weeks which is resulting in light throttle driving so I was "living vicariously through others" on this one right now.