N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#3676)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 12-02-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Transport mode is pretty rough. It gives full power then slams the throttle shut at 4500rpm. It can be useful in certain circumstances (e.g. lending out car) but I can't imagine wanting to leave it on for any length of time.

I had the idea of forcing a 3100 limp code, resulting in a zero boost/na mode, and then clearing it when oil temps warmed up. But decided the way we have it now providing OEM tuning until 160 was the best overall compromise. Now with the warm-up indicator even the 5 series guys who don't have an oil gauge can't complain too much.

Speaking of which, should we add an option for in dash oil gauge in place of MPG gauge for 5 series?

Hi Terry, actually I really like the idea of 3100 limp mode.

Personally I'd like to have the choice if it's not too hard to implement.

1. Stock boost 'till oil up to temp
2. 3100 limp
3. transport-mode

I've driven in transport mode to work, not that bad especially since we have plenty of torque down low. I just drove like it was a 135d :D
(#3677)
Old

Car: 335i Coupe
Default 12-02-2011, 11:15 AM

I just wan't a little lower temp for the tune to turn on or give me control of the protection feature. It took 10 miles to get my oil temp up today. It was 31 degrees out.
(#3678)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-02-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoschadlin
Still waiting to see if the "indicator flash" is working on the 5 series.

That might be enough, but just waiting for the new firmware to come out.
You can email me for it, need a few more 5 series tests.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3679)
Old

Car: BMW 335i E92
Default 12-02-2011, 12:30 PM

The water temp firmware solves the wait until the oil temp is up. Even if we have 15-20F outside the jb4 kicks in after 3-4minutes!
(#3680)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default 12-02-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox_fan
The water temp firmware solves the wait until the oil temp is up. Even if we have 15-20F outside the jb4 kicks in after 3-4minutes!
+1 Water temp firmware is badass. Been running it for about a week now.

Ferrari Red F80
(#3681)
Old

Default 12-02-2011, 06:44 PM

Id like to see more parameters being user adjustable such as:

-Throttle position of stealth gauge activation
-Oil temp at which JB4 activates(with a range of 120-160)
-Water temp at which JB4 Activates(with a range of 120-160)
-Throttle position of when JB4 activates(stock until a certain user adjustable throttle position to activate a user set map) or normal JB4 functionality if desired

Also a N/A map would be nice. The competitors offer it and its something id love to see.
Any type or parameter like the ones above should be user defined as everyone seems to have a personal preference. However certain permissible ranges should be established.

Maybe for the more advanced users give us the ability to make a more in depth map rather than just boost, fuel, cps settings. I understand this isn't a standalone ecu so there would be a limitation but im sure theres more than just 3 settings advanced users would like to change.

Another thing farther down the line would be cool to see is coding abilities and more in depth vehicle stuff. Id love to see the JB4 interface or even a JB5 interface be a complete vehicle control with the ability to influence multiple control units in the car. I think that would definitely give this product an edge over the competitors. It would be cool to see the following (if these these things are even possible):

-Automatic transmission influences like shift points, intensity, ect)
-Transfer case influences for a 2wd or awd mode
-Integration into the iDrive display
-Controlling of lighting functions
-Coding of multiple control modules

Like I said a very in depth vehicle "personalization" device.

Id expect if it ever went this far it would be a larger more advanced unit with a more expensive price but it would be worth every penny.
(#3682)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-02-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiss91
Id like to see more parameters being user adjustable such as:
Our target market is install, enjoy, and forget. If anything some day we'll be removing many user tuning adjustable parameters and putting those few left in to the steering wheel controls for quick access. We're definitely not looking to offer or support a fully user tunable solution. There are plenty of other products out for those who are interested in that sort of thing. I'd rather us be the Apple of tuning piggybacks. The way it's structured now with simple setup by RPM in terms of boost, fuel, and CPS is as in depth as the tuning interface is going to get.

We do plan to offer an NA map soon. One that actually works without screwing up the fuel trims and causing hesitation/codes.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3683)
Old
FBO+ N54xi

Car: '07 E90-335xi
Default 12-03-2011, 01:29 PM

Terry, I got the package today...Can't wait to put it on tomorrow hopefully if it's nice out.

1 Question, which firmware does it come pre-installed with?

Thank You again & will be once again an Active member...phew been MIA for too long lol.

-BES.

JB4+usb | BMS OCC | P3 Vent Boost Gauge v2 | BMS DCI | AMS FMIC | AR xi CL **'s | BT Tool | Stett Tial BOV W/Meth Charge Pipe [soon] | Cyba Quad Exhaust tips | M-Tech Rear & M3 Front Bumpers | Cyba Red Air Scoops | Blacklines | Vinyl Overlays | ACS Roof Spoiler | Matte Black Grilles | LED Side Mirrors | Rear Euro Fogs | Matte Black Finishing Rods | 30% Tints | Sports & Winter package | Black Leather Int. | Aluminium Trim | & few extras not listed. Car: '07 E90 335xi vrrooom lol'
(#3684)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-03-2011, 01:31 PM

Production units have been shipping with 8/15. We'll probably skip 9/16 on the production units as they are so similar. Working on 12/1 software now.

Burger Motorsports

(#3685)
Old
FBO+ N54xi

Car: '07 E90-335xi
Thumbs up 12-03-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Production units have been shipping with 8/15. We'll probably skip 9/16 on the production units as they are so similar. Working on 12/1 software now.
Cool, Thank You.

JB4+usb | BMS OCC | P3 Vent Boost Gauge v2 | BMS DCI | AMS FMIC | AR xi CL **'s | BT Tool | Stett Tial BOV W/Meth Charge Pipe [soon] | Cyba Quad Exhaust tips | M-Tech Rear & M3 Front Bumpers | Cyba Red Air Scoops | Blacklines | Vinyl Overlays | ACS Roof Spoiler | Matte Black Grilles | LED Side Mirrors | Rear Euro Fogs | Matte Black Finishing Rods | 30% Tints | Sports & Winter package | Black Leather Int. | Aluminium Trim | & few extras not listed. Car: '07 E90 335xi vrrooom lol'
(#3686)
Old

Car: 335i coupe 08'-545i 05'smg- civic 95' 600whp
Default 12-03-2011, 08:26 PM

Yessss

335I E92 Alpine white
12.56 @ 114.32 2.0 60ft with 335IS 19" wheels A/T
Stockin !!!
JB4 MAP 7 - VP116 - DCI - FMIC - with Hot temp 83'F
(#3687)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 12-04-2011, 10:29 AM

Alright, newbie here. I installed my jB4 and DCI last night. I am running map 9/16 and referencing steering wheel control guide 8/15. How do I enable stealth gauge hijacking on the latest map? My car 335 is either boost on fuel full time, or stock gauges.
(#3688)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 12-04-2011, 09:50 PM

Awesome, thanks!
(#3689)
Old

Car: UK 140i-M Sport Auto
Unhappy 12-05-2011, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox_fan
Were can i get the water temp firmware, its freezing in the UK.
(#3690)
Old

Default 12-05-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BazBar
just to get it right... what exactly does that firmware do?

@terry: you are working on more powerful maps? what mods are required for them to have full effect?

i was fighting with a (stock!) mazda 3 mps (260hp 2.3L turbo) some days ago and i was like... ok, mazda is lightweight and we were only running from 0-100mph. allthough i was expecting to smoke it like a smooth cigarette

and something in general: thanks for your support terry. right now, the system is running smooth without any error codes or any other problems.
(#3691)
Old

Default 12-05-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BazBar
Well it isn't exactly warm here in Sweden either

Just email Terry and ask for it, I did and (as always) he respond in minutes with a new hex.

The water temp fw checks water temp instead of oil temp to see if the engine is up to working temp. In cold countries it makes more sense since the oil pan under the engine doesn't get warm until after a looooong time in the winter.
(#3692)
Old

Default 12-05-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger2k1
i was fighting with a (stock!) mazda 3 mps (260hp 2.3L turbo) some days ago and i was like... ok, mazda is lightweight and we were only running from 0-100mph. allthough i was expecting to smoke it like a smooth cigarette
You sure it was stock? There is a ton of mods for that one!
(#3693)
Old

Default 12-05-2011, 08:26 AM

so you can simply have full boost without the oil being on temperature yet.
sounds nice, i was also waiting hardly for the oil to get its temperature sometimes, but the danger of damages is rising when you only consider water temp for putting the pedal to the metal...

edit: @xbox_fan: well, i was talking to the owner after that and he was surprised as well that he could keep up quite nicely. i had to tell him that my car has "only" about 350hp instead of 400-420 as it should have.

so i am still begging he has lied to me and it was tuned, but who knows :D
(#3694)
Old

Default 12-05-2011, 08:29 AM

Well I guess it is a question for Terry, but when the water temp is up, the engine top and cylinder block is at 160F isn't that enough?
(#3695)
Old
Pessimistic Poster

Car: 135i N54
Default 12-05-2011, 08:48 AM

My understanding of oil temp in turbo cars (which may be completely wrong) is that since the oil lubricates the turbo, when the oil is too cold and therefore much thicker, putting the oil under high pressure and making boost can damage the seals in the turbo.

That said, switching the trigger temp from oil to water basically puts more responsibility on the driver instead of the software to be careful on how much they push the engine in cold conditions. It is definitely nice to have the responsiveness and features turn on sooner, but I would still be careful using full throttle or revving too high until the oil temp gauge budges from 160F.
(#3696)
Old

Default 12-05-2011, 09:17 AM

100% agree
(#3697)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-05-2011, 01:54 PM

Our preference is still to allow oil temperature to get up over 160 degrees before building any significant boost. Thicker oil can not properly lubricate the turbos and the top end of the motor. But I understand many customers could not care less about turbo longevity, are planning to replace turbos some day anyway, etc. So with the next firmware when you set FutureUseD=100 it will allow full boost over 160 degrees of water temperature for those that prefer that.

Burger Motorsports

(#3698)
Old

Car: '07 SGM 335i
Default 12-05-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Our preference is still to allow oil temperature to get up over 160 degrees before building any significant boost. Thicker oil can not properly lubricate the turbos and the top end of the motor. But I understand many customers could not care less about turbo longevity, are planning to replace turbos some day anyway, etc. So with the next firmware when you set FutureUseD=100 it will allow full boost over 160 degrees of water temperature for those that prefer that.
Any idea what the oil temperature is when water temperature is at 160F or does it vary?
(#3699)
Old
Tuner

Default 12-05-2011, 02:13 PM

It varies of course but I imagine 120-130.

Burger Motorsports

(#3700)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 12-05-2011, 07:35 PM

Will the new firmware make it so you can choose whether to get full boost either by oil temp or water temp.