N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i
Default RB EVO Style Inlets - First Install! - 04-04-2016, 12:00 PM

Greetings,
We were lucky enough to get our hands on the very first set of the new RB EVO Style Inlets! In the next few days I will be putting together a detailed step by step PDF install guide that covers all of the basics as well as how we overcame some challenges (primarily around the cold side charge pipe and relocation of the coolant reservoir). We hope that this helps make a very solid kit even better!

Our first impressions upon receiving the kit were very positive. Everything was packed nicely and everything promised was included. The installation went pretty smoothly but I would not consider it an "easy DIY". This should be tackled be either someone with a solid understanding of the platform or have it installed by a professional. The biggest challenge, by far, was the relocation of the coolant reservoir. I see this being a constant variable as there are so many FMIC and CP options out there that it will be very difficult to create a single solution to this problem. After creating a couple different bracket options and revising the coolant level sensor locking location we were able to secure it in a very good location. The 335d tank does look to be the easiest and cleanest option and we hope to revise this install with these parts to truly capture the difference in both options so people can better decide whats best for them. Anyways, onto a few sneak peak photos and initial results!

The customers car is a very well put together 08 E90 that is currently FBO running a mix of E60.

The RB EVO Style Inlets (heat shield and boost solenoid bracket not shown)

Engine bay when it arrived:

A few of the brackets we fabricated or made from modified OEM hardware: These were then powder coated satin black by our good friends at KillerKoatings.

Installed photo showing the final location of kit and relocated parts:

With initial Map 5 pulls the car spools faster and keeps pulling holding target extremely well! We will be dialing in the car over the next few days/weeks and adding the N20 sensor to up the boost until it runs out of fuel. Then it will be off to both the Dyno and local drag strip to get real world numbers!

(#2)
Old

Default 04-04-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.george
The pics are missing !!
Odd, they are showing on both of my computers and phone???

(#3)
Old

Car: 2008 BSM 135i
Default 04-04-2016, 01:26 PM

Pics work just fine for me. Looks great!

🚀 My 750HP 135i build: my1series.com
🔧 My budget 335i build: bmw335i.com
📷 Follow me on Instagram: instagram.com/jakespence
🎬 Watch me on YouTube: youtube.com/jakespence135
🌟 Support me on Patreon: patreon.com/jake_spence
🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com
(#4)
Old
Need4Speed

Car: 2010 E90 335i M-sport
Default 04-04-2016, 02:47 PM

Nice kit looks good. Might need to pick up that vacuum canister bracket if Rob will sell one individually.

SOLD - FBO N54, Pure Turbos stage 2, TFT inlets, JB4/MHD, EOS intake manifold w/PI, Fuel-it stage 3
(#5)
Old

Default 04-04-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N335i
Nice kit looks good. Might need to pick up that vacuum canister bracket if Rob will sell one individually.
That is actually the modified stock bracket. I will post step X step on exactly what we did to make it fit.

(#6)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default 04-04-2016, 03:03 PM

Looks great guys! Appreciate the thread and look forward to nailing down what we need to get down to make a nice production kit!

Rob

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#7)
Old
Need4Speed

Car: 2010 E90 335i M-sport
Default 04-04-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickcruiser
That is actually the modified stock bracket. I will post step X step on exactly what we did to make it fit.
Sweet thanks

SOLD - FBO N54, Pure Turbos stage 2, TFT inlets, JB4/MHD, EOS intake manifold w/PI, Fuel-it stage 3
(#8)
Old
Stalker

Default 04-04-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N335i
Our EVO style filter requires a bit more room than what is available with the vacuum canister bracket spread across two mounting locations as is OEM. So basically you cut off a side, and mount it only on the forward location. This moves it closer to the headlight assembly and gives ample space for the twin inlet style single filter. This process probably would not work well for any other inlets system, as it does not give much more room but just a bit.

Rob

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#9)
Old

Car: 2010 535xi
Default 04-04-2016, 03:14 PM

Just out of curiosity, why the shield over the top of the air filter?

6MT, JB4, DCI, BMS Pump BEF
(#10)
Old

Car: E92 335i
Default 04-04-2016, 04:52 PM

Subbed for more details and install guide...

|RB old gen|Jb4 G5|3" **'s|ER Competition Cooler|ER Charge pipe|Tial BOV|CM Meth Kit|Dual nozzle setup|BMS cowl filters|AFE intakes+scoops|
|BMS low temp oil thermo|MHD flash + coding|HnR Springs|M3 Control arm kit + H&R + Koni|LED Angel eyes+plate lights
(#11)
Old

Car: 535i
Default 04-04-2016, 05:43 PM

will this fit for the 535i?
(#12)
Old

Default 04-05-2016, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnvu
will this fit for the 535i?
I would have to confirm but I am 99% sure that it would NOT fit on the E60/61's. There are a few areas that are different but the main issue would be the AC lines. Evan with the amazing e61 build put together his own inlets (in another thread) and there were a lot of additional mods needed. I would think that if you made those mods, then this kit would fit!

(#13)
Old

Default 04-05-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryx
Just out of curiosity, why the shield over the top of the air filter?
We based the install off of the original pictures (and my Super EVO RB). There was some internal debate on what way to point it but ultimately believe that you will get more cold air from the bottom than from the top.

(#14)
Old

Car: 09 E92 335i
Default 04-05-2016, 08:30 AM

How much clearance do we have on the driver side with the relocation of coolant tank. A close up well lit shot of that area would be much appreciated.

Just wondering if it would fit cars with auxiliary radiator like the 335is or cars with PPK stage 2.

09 BMW E92 335i: EFR 7670 / Motiv / AP Racing / Wavetrac / TC Kline [Full Modlist]
07 BMW R1200S: Shine Yellow / Akrapovic / Ohlins
(#15)
Old
Stalker

Default 04-05-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9Blue
How much clearance do we have on the driver side with the relocation of coolant tank. A close up well lit shot of that area would be much appreciated.

Just wondering if it would fit cars with auxiliary radiator like the 335is or cars with PPK stage 2.
This kit will be questionable but it should fit, as they are entirely on the turbo side of the vehicle. Perhaps you can provide a picture of what you believe to be of interference on the vehicles optioned as you are questioning and it may also be of help.

Rob

(#16)
Old
Stalker

Default 04-05-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickcruiser
We based the install off of the original pictures (and my Super EVO RB). There was some internal debate on what way to point it but ultimately believe that you will get more cold air from the bottom than from the top.
Agree. The filter shield was primarily for aesthetics. It double serves as a water protection for vented hoods to protect the filter. It triple serves as some sort of heat barrier. It is also very easily removable if someone would rather see the filter. Also a 2nd one could be added to the lower side as the adapter is provisioned both ways, if someone really wanted to add it on both sides (personally do not see the point). Regarding combating heat, high IATs, etc,; I'd suggest getting the best IC you can stomach and let it do its work for you if it is a large concern. Or go with our driver side inlets, they could help a bit too and are very much cheaper. This is a passenger side inlet kit and they are known as "hot side" inlets for a reason, being on the turbo side- it pretty much is what it is...

Rob

(#17)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 04-05-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kish2604
Subbed for more details and install guide...
Are you getting 1?
I cant wait to see it.

fuel injection is cool, but i'd rather be blown!
537.75HP 540.63TQ
(#18)
Old

Default 04-05-2016, 01:43 PM

The car has flat out transformed. Sooooo responsive, I absolutely can not wait to get it to dyno and test & tune at the track. It breathes better, sounds better, and performs better. The passion and knowledge that Rob has for the N54 platform is amazing. It is a pleasure to have mechanics from BakerSmith have the same passion as knowledge. I am honored to have the very first set on my car. Results to come. Thank you to all parties involved.
(#19)
Old

Car: 2010 135i
Default 04-06-2016, 10:43 PM

The thing I'm always looking for with these silicon intakes is support bracketry. I never see any.

So with this kit, you're relying on the clamp on the turbos to hold the filter off the inner fender?
Or does it just rest (rub) on the inner fender? (which will eventually ware a hole in the media)
(#20)
Old

Car: E91 335i
Default 04-07-2016, 03:10 AM

So will rob send one for RHD testing, have a shop and a car waiting
(#21)
Old
Stalker

Default 04-07-2016, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1
The thing I'm always looking for with these silicon intakes is support bracketry. I never see any.

So with this kit, you're relying on the clamp on the turbos to hold the filter off the inner fender?
Or does it just rest (rub) on the inner fender? (which will eventually ware a hole in the media)
All good questions. Firstly on the stock style inlets (driver side) our product is connected to two fixed points. So nothing is really freely supported there as the hose is connected at both ends. As for this product, the silicone hosing is again fixed to the turbo side which is adjoined via an adapter so it is all kind of "tied" together via the filter adapter. It is surprisingly very tightly affixed IMO, and does not rub anything.

We did actually provision the lower side of the filter adapter with some mounting holes as well, so an additional "support" could easily be added by one who was interested in adding one as a supplement. Since there are so many models and we are very early into the production on these with an already overly expensive to produce product, we may not ever make it to including this bracket. To be frank it is very low on the priority list. But to anyone with a couple extra bucks and some time though, you can make it to fit your model as needed and be fully supported at all corners by adding in a bracket under the filter adapter as it is fully provisioned as such already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regan@RAMP
So will rob send one for RHD testing, have a shop and a car waiting
We have one guy (in this thread) who has already reached out and we should be working out a plan to test fitment on RHD soon.

We went ahead and ordered a small batch just to feel out sales before taking a larger plunge. So we should have some in stock around April 20th.

Thanks,
Rob

(#22)
Old

Car: E92 335i
Default 04-10-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmsportzn135i
Are you getting 1?
I cant wait to see it.
Me too...

|RB old gen|Jb4 G5|3" **'s|ER Competition Cooler|ER Charge pipe|Tial BOV|CM Meth Kit|Dual nozzle setup|BMS cowl filters|AFE intakes+scoops|
|BMS low temp oil thermo|MHD flash + coding|HnR Springs|M3 Control arm kit + H&R + Koni|LED Angel eyes+plate lights
(#23)
Old

Default 06-30-2016, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1

An interesting point I hadn't thought of.
(#24)
Old

Default 07-20-2016, 03:30 PM

@trickcruiser, Can you talk more about what @iminhell1 mentioned.
Does your filter show signs of rubbing?
(#25)
Old
Stalker

Default 07-20-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dub
@trickcruiser, Can you talk more about what @iminhell1 mentioned.
Does your filter show signs of rubbing?
J. Dub- If you refer to post #21 you can see I'd addressed this potential phenomenon in great detail.

Thanks,
Rob