N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: E92 335i
Default Track Car Turbo Setup - 04-02-2018, 09:20 PM

I have a fairly developed time attack car based on the E82 platform with a 1M body swap and I'm in the process of getting new turbos. Caveat, it's 6AT.

My options:
- OEM (reliable, max out at 450whp on track)
- Hybrid Twins (more power, less reliable?)

I have been out of the N54 tuning game for a while now and want to know if there are any other dedicated racecars running hybrid or custom twin setups. At this point going single isn't an option although that is my ideal setup. (Small ST)

How reliable are upgraded twins these days in the ~500whp range?

M-Sport 135i - N54 - FBO - E60 - Mfactory LSD - MHD - JB4 - SPX Tuned
(#2)
Old

Car: 09 E92 335i
Default 04-02-2018, 09:31 PM

i dont know anyone who is serious about road course and uses aftermarket twin. and I looked hard. i think you know the reasons why already.

stay stock and save up for a small single.

09 BMW E92 335i: EFR 7670 / Motiv / AP Racing / Wavetrac / TC Kline [Full Modlist]
07 BMW R1200S: Shine Yellow / Akrapovic / Ohlins
(#3)
Old
Stalker

Car: 335I
Default 04-03-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spxxx
How reliable are upgraded twins these days in the ~500whp range?
Extremely reliable and the RB Next Gens would get you there and be a walk in the park for them at that power level:
https://www.bimmerboost.com/showthre...-(inc-RB-Stats)

Thanks,
Rob

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#4)
Old

Default 04-03-2018, 08:38 AM

vendors releasing their own statistics with no 3rd party verification... hummm...

09 BMW E92 335i: EFR 7670 / Motiv / AP Racing / Wavetrac / TC Kline [Full Modlist]
(#5)
Old
Stalker

Default 04-03-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9Blue
vendors releasing their own statistics with no 3rd party verification... hummm...
Lol. Only you man, only you. I know it bums you out as you'd rather have nothing but dirty laundry to satisfy your life, but it is all true.

Tell you what and considering this powerful thing we call the internet, find someone who will make any of what was stated (to date) untrue and make it public. I'll even shoot you over a hefty reward for it, hell I will even give the verified customer a reward too... as a further sign that there is nothing to hide here.

Rob

See www.rbturbo.com for N54 Twin Turbo Bolt-On upgrades, or contact directly 314-630-8950 rob.rbturbo@gmail.com for a price quote.
(#6)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 04-03-2018, 09:59 AM

Just had this same topic recently ...

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51931

2017 AMG C63 - JB4 - 11.69 @ 127 (dragy)
2009 BMW 535i - 548 whp - sold
(#7)
Old

Car: E90 LCI 335i
Default 04-04-2018, 02:02 AM

Definitely upgrade turbos. Make same power with way better power curve on less boost, more timing and lower temps.

As I mentioned in your other thread, I'd be going RB Next Gens Plus.
(#8)
Old
Stalker

Default 04-04-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsm87
Definitely upgrade turbos. Make same power with way better power curve on less boost, more timing and lower temps.

As I mentioned in your other thread, I'd be going RB Next Gens Plus.
We actually sold a set of these to some serious road racing guy in New Zealand mid last year, some other local racer to them bought another set soon thereafter. They must've been fairly fond of them as well.

(#9)
Old

Car: Anything with a Turbo
Default 04-04-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
i dont know anyone who is serious about road course and uses aftermarket twin. and I looked hard. i think you know the reasons why already.

stay stock and save up for a small single.
Yeah, there is no dedicated track cars running twins. None... This is only about 1 of 4 dedicated track cars we sponsor. Serious race teams don't have time for forums or the BS that comes with it. They are looking to win races. This car got a full season out of a set of Stage 2's sent them in for a refresh simply because they pull the car down at the end of the season... But hey the guy on the internet says there is no dedicated track cars running twins, so that must be true....
Attached Images

Vargas Turbocharger Technologies
Tony@Vargasturbo.com
www.Vargasturbo.com
Making the world happier one turbocharger at a time
(#10)
Old
Stalker

Default 04-04-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony@VargasTurboTech
This car got a full season out of a set of Stage 2's sent them in for a refresh simply because they pull the car down at the end of the season... But hey the guy on the internet says there is no dedicated track cars running twins, so that must be true....
This is true as well. We have another racer who literally bought 2 sets of turbos early last year (RB Next Gens), as they keep another completely assembled engine on the stand ready to install if need be while racing. There are certainly some serious people out there running upgraded twins.

(#11)
Old

Car: Anything with a Turbo
Default 04-04-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo
This is true as well. We have another racer who literally bought 2 sets of turbos early last year (RB Next Gens), as they keep another completely assembled engine on the stand ready to install if need be while racing. There are certainly some serious people out there running upgraded twins.
Cool, where are the photos of this race car, we would love to see it? You literally cannot let anyone post anything without being right there with a response. It's like the friend who cannot wait for you to finish your story so they can tell everyone a "better" one. Things never change... With this, I have completed my weekly stop of N54T. Until Next week...

Vargas Turbocharger Technologies
Tony@Vargasturbo.com
www.Vargasturbo.com
Making the world happier one turbocharger at a time
(#12)
Old
Stalker

Default 04-04-2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony@VargasTurboTech
Cool, where are the photos of this race car, we would love to see it? You literally cannot let anyone post anything without being right there with a response. It's like the friend who cannot wait for you to finish your story so they can tell everyone a "better" one. Things never change... With this, I have completed my weekly stop of N54T. Until Next week...
Didn't ever request any pics initially and never had to rebuild either set we sold to him... so contact was lost.

At any rate I'll dig through the emails and reach out and see if we can get some pics.

Rob

(#13)
Old

Default 04-04-2018, 09:19 AM

lol didn't take long for the two drama queens to start their bickering again.

those are cars sponsored by VTT. Sure... I would put them on my car if they are free and get VIP treatment when they do break. That's a lot different than folks or teams that pay their own dime for the turbos.

(#14)
Old

Car: 135i
Default 04-04-2018, 09:28 AM

although I'm not a "serious" racer I've taken my car to the track 3 times now with my pure stage 2 setup. I just run them on pump gas @ 18 psi when I track and they perform great. Plenty of power curve available and gapped most cars on the straight still.
(#15)
Old
Stalker

Default 04-04-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
lol didn't take long for the two drama queens to start their bickering again.
Not bickering at all. Having realized he'd quoted a massive forum dipsh*t, who no doubtedly would come back with something stupid to say, figured we'd share our experiences as well.

Rob

(#16)
Old

Default 04-04-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Not bickering at all. Having realized he'd quoted a massive forum dipsh*t, who no doubtedly would come back with something stupid to say, figured we'd share our experiences as well.

Rob
Look at your own post history on all four n54 related forums and see who is the desperate one here trying to sell those overpriced homemade turbos with nothing but a crappy website, a gmail account, and some made-up forum posts about "hey look, we finally know how to make reliable turbos after 6 years in the business".

Real vendors and turbo manufacturers don't bother with spreading BS on forums the way you do. As a matter of fact, the only people who does spam the way you do are Tony@VTT and Doug@Frankenturbo.

Anyway, i am just voicing my own opinions after being on this platform for the last 10 years. It is up to OP to take it or leave it. But the ways you act on these forums sure doesn't say much about your professionalism.

Good luck with your turbo business. Perhaps you will have better luck on eBay and Facebook market.

(#17)
Old
Stalker

Default 04-04-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Look at your own post history on all four n54 related forums and see who is the desperate one here trying to sell those overpriced homemade turbos with nothing but a crappy website, a gmail account, and some made-up forum posts about "hey look, we finally know how to make reliable turbos after 6 years in the business".

Real vendors and turbo manufacturers don't bother with spreading BS on forums the way you do. As a matter of fact, the only people who does spam the way you do are Tony@VTT and Doug@Frankenturbo.

Anyway, i am just voicing my own opinions after being on this platform for the last 10 years. It is up to OP to take it or leave it. But the ways you act on these forums sure doesn't say much about your professionalism.

Good luck with your turbo business. Perhaps you will have better luck on eBay and Facebook market.
Hey look it's the wanker again... go hack up your car some more to clear the EFR.

(#18)
Old

Default 04-04-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Hey look it's the wanker again... go hack up your car some more to clear the EFR.
I am sure language like that helps your business.

Btw, my EFR 7670 is running just fine. Spools quicker and make more top ends than all the stock frame twins that you sell.

(#19)
Old
Stalker

Default 04-04-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I am sure language like that helps your business.

Btw, my EFR 7670 is running just fine. Spools quicker and make more top ends than all the stock frame twins that you sell.
If was hurting for business I'd care a bit more about the language, but I am not so it is what it is and idiots like you will be called out as needed.

Anyway when you start running high 10's/low 11's and 130+mph traps in the 1/4, let us know bubs; but you'll still have a hacked to hell 335.

Rob

(#20)
Old

Default 04-04-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
If was hurting for business I'd care a bit more about the language, but I am not so it is what it is and idiots like you will be called out as needed.

Anyway when you start running high 10's/low 11's and 130+mph traps in the 1/4, let us know bubs; but you'll still have a hacked to hell 335.

Rob
It is 2018 not 2011. High hp N54 a dime a dozen, hybrid or single turbo. Anyone with few thousands to throw around can do that easily. Let me know when you get a car with your turbo to run a low 2:30 per lap at Road America on street tires.

Funny that you call my car hacked, where the only non-reversible mod was the strut tower, whereas you are the one selling homemade turbos running at god know how high of back pressure to reach +500whp.

Anyway, now I know why it is always people like you selling these half-assed turbos out of their own garage and with nothing but a LLC registered to their home address. You don't even have a real shop like VTT. As our president would say "Sad".

(#21)
Old
Stalker

Default 04-04-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
It is 2018 not 2011. High hp N54 a dime a dozen, hybrid or single turbo. Anyone with few thousands to throw around can do that easily. Let me know when you get a car with your turbo to run a low 2:30 per lap at Road America on street tires.

Funny that you call my car hacked, where the only non-reversible mod was the strut tower, whereas you are the one selling homemade turbos running at god know how high of back pressure to reach +500whp.

Anyway, now I know why it is always people like you selling these half-assed turbos out of their own garage and with nothing but a LLC registered to their home address. You don't even have a real shop like VTT. As our president would say "Sad".

(#22)
Old
Stalker

Default 04-04-2018, 02:04 PM

Back on topic earlier today I'd rummaged through some emails and shot gunned off some messages to some of the road racing guys I could find asking for pics. I'm certainly no road racing aficionado, so I do not know much about it all... but this guy said he does endurance racing (12/24 Hour races IIRC) who purchased RB Next Gens January 2017 which he was in a big hurry for to start his season. As I just today reached out asking how they were doing he replies- "great, and we just got a 135 in our shop that we are going to be wanting another set for shortly." Something tells me he is semi-happy with them having said that... about 16 months of endurance racing later.

Now as I'm sure ole career forum heckler cloud9blue will say this is fabricated and just stuff we found on the web, I've asked the guys permission to quote him (shame it has to come to these sorts of things, but oh well).

In digging through some other emails, found an exchange with a racer that totaled out his car after swapping on the RB Next Gen Plus (while racing- don't know any details). We are now seeing if he can provide pics and feedback after had equipped them on his new rig.

We pinged several others too. Typically we do not collect this sort of data, someone says they are doing something we say "cool" and ship them turbos and hope we never hear back.

PS. We sponsor no one. These guys buy our turbos just like everyone else does.

Thanks,
Rob

EDIT in Testimonial as approval was granted:
"Hi Rob,

Yes we are still using a set of RB Turbos in our BMW 335i in events like the Bathurst 12hr race (see attached photos). The car runs in the Australian Production Championship also and the officials are very careful in checking the turbos remain unmodified ... big difference between standard and your RB Turbos. We find yours preform much better and with the adding of a performance tune in the car it really does make a big difference in the cars overall performance.
We have just got a new car in the shop, a BMW135i so will be needing a new set of your turbos for that soon.

Talk soon, Garry"
Attached Images

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 04-04-2018 at 06:56 PM..
(#23)
Old
Stalker

Default 04-04-2018, 02:42 PM

Just had a response from a Road Racer in New Zealand who'd purchased Super RB EVO 17T's- he has gone all out with a Motec. Unfortunately due to Motec issues he has had a slow progression but says the update is ready. He said he'd still send over some pics that we'll post when we get them, but unfortunately not much to review in regards to the turbos quite yet.

He seems to have more toys, so probably the slow progression is ok with him: "Photos when I get a spare moment, we recently took delivery of a brand new McLaren GT4 570S race car....twin turbo V8 but with many "restrictions" because it runs in a worldwide class. Google it if you get a chance....bit of a weapon, unfortunately compromised by having a factory programmed computer but has got some interesting capabilities."

Here is another US guy who dabbles in some road racing, but actually went with our entry level RB Ones (ie. Stage 1+) August 2017.

He made right over 515rwhp at 21psi, but we recommend these units for 425-475rwhp.
https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/...stg1-rbs.2812/

There should be a couple others coming if we get responses, in the meantime hopefully this at least gets the point across that there are DEFINITELY guys out there running upgraded twins- and as WE have to GET with THEM for info rest assure yourself that they are doing just fine.

Rob

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 04-04-2018 at 03:05 PM..
(#24)
Old

Default 04-04-2018, 03:32 PM

So out of the "countless" customers you have, you can only find two from the down under who does any sort of road course.

Tell me how is that any different from me saying that your turbo is **** because that one guy I know (Socket @ the Australian e90post subforum) who blew through your turbos in 5k miles and ended up with an EFR top mount.

Oh btw, there are a lot more blown RB turbos over the years than anyone can count.

Feel free to chime in on OP's post on e90post and your pathetic thread about reliability on bimmerboost. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...94&postcount=6

I am far from being the only "troll" who sole purpose is to destroy your business.

I know you are trying hard to sell your stuff. But this sort of BS isn't helping it one bit for any prospective customer with a brain.

(#25)
Old
Stalker

Default 04-04-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
So out of the "countless" customers you have, you can only find two from the down under who does any sort of road course.

Tell me how is that any different from me saying that your turbo is **** because that one guy I know (Socket @ the Australian e90post subforum) who blew through your turbos in 5k miles and ended up with an EFR top mount.

Oh btw, there are a lot more blown RB turbos over the years than anyone can count.

Feel free to chime in on OP's post on e90post and your pathetic thread about reliability on bimmerboost. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...94&postcount=6

I am far from being the only "troll" who sole purpose is to destroy your business.

I know you are trying hard to sell your stuff. But this sort of BS isn't helping it one bit for any prospective customer with a brain.
Yeah man I do not track sales well, so I shotgunned off some emails earlier today after maybe 45-60 minutes of skimming the ole outbox that has about 45,000 messages in it. I may need to screen shot that, too, as you probably think "nah, fabricated" like any forum troll would.

Anyway yeah about the old stuff sweet dude, pretty sure ole Socket directly afterward went through some other well respected vendors turbos in about the same amount of time. Then the turbos we rebuilt for him for free nearing 3 years ago have been in someone else's hands who beat the living piss out of them and is loving them to this day, think he may go by "MartyMil". In fact "MartyMil" recently sh*t canned his 1M's engine, is rebuilding another, and said those same RB CLASSICS looked great and probably are going back on the new motor too without even our inspection. But nah nah that's all a moot point, says the know it all forum heckler.

At any rate and as usual, there are some very large turds on the forums and Cloud9Blue is far from an exception. We can give you all info and you can take it or defy it. It is clear this clown, one we have never even dealt with mind you, has a severely large chip on his shoulder and as stated earlier is a career forum heckler.

Now google some stuff about all the failed EFR's that used to plague the world, but guess what you bought one.

Rob

PS. NO idea who sirdaft is, nor turbomike in the link you provided. We have never dealt with either.

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 04-04-2018 at 04:07 PM..