Ken said, it was a valve guide issue.
(#27)
Old

Car: E92 335i 6MT
Default 09-11-2016, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarmarji
Funny how the cars without JB4 didn't do too well either but what do I know lol
Awesome, so the JB4 finally added the infamous valve seal safety and 6mt synchro fix for 5th gear? Sign me back up! Now all it needs is the setting to override gravity and I'll finally be able to drive to Europe like I've always wanted, get on it Terry.

Kidding.

It's been a rough weekend for N54's around the US, but glad to see a showing at shift sector. Anyone have any good videos?
(#28)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-11-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarmarji
Funny how the cars without JB4 didn't do too well either but what do I know lol
JB4 FTW.

If Ken has a single turbo now he should switch over. The JB4 single turbo firmware has a lot of really cool features we've developed during numerous half mile events. If it's a rolling race the anti-lag absolutely rocks. And with the built in safety systems you can focus on going down the track knowing the JB4 will abort for you if fuel pressure drops, boost goes too high, etc, etc.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#29)
Old

Car: '07 335i e92
Default 09-11-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
What was Ken running anyway, those HEX turbos still? Or did he change it up? Blowing up on race day is never fun. Been there, done that.
Had a used engine put in at the first of the year and I let my buddy at the shop source it for me. Well that was mistake 1... Motor sat too long and valve stems started leaking really bad. Thought it was the turbo so I swapped to a single 6062. Car runs great, but I should have swapped the head when I had the chance. Little leak turned into a major leak and luck have it I had a plug fail on the first pass. Did a compression / leak down today and all is good. Had the head rebuilt next week and all should be back to normal. Racing is only fun when the car runs flawlessly, you win, and nothing brakes... Thanks
(#30)
Old

Car: E92 335i
Default 09-11-2016, 04:09 PM

Would love to see some logs from everyone, rare to see true load conditions WOT up top in 5th/6th gear...

M-Sport 135i - N54 - FBO - E60 - Mfactory LSD - MHD - JB4 - SPX Tuned
(#31)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-11-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *****1967
Had a used engine put in at the first of the year and I let my buddy at the shop source it for me. Well that was mistake 1... Motor sat too long and valve stems started leaking really bad. Thought it was the turbo so I swapped to a single 6062. Car runs great, but I should have swapped the head when I had the chance. Little leak turned into a major leak and luck have it I had a plug fail on the first pass. Did a compression / leak down today and all is good. Had the head rebuilt next week and all should be back to normal. Racing is only fun when the car runs flawlessly, you win, and nothing brakes... Thanks
Major headache. Seems nothing is as reliable as the factory motor. The rebuilds and junkyard replacements never seem to last as long.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#32)
Old

Default 09-11-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Major headache. Seems nothing is as reliable as the factory motor. The rebuilds and junkyard replacements never seem to last as long.
Agree...
(#33)
Old
VTT ***** *****

Car: All Things Booost
Default 09-11-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *****1967
Hi Ken,

Glad to hear compression/leak down was good, and it won't be too long before you're back up and running.

Chris

Chris - VTT Forum Representative
For fastest response: Chris@Vargasturbo.com
www.Vargasturbo.com
(#34)
Old

Default 09-11-2016, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@VargasTurboTech
Hi Ken,

Glad to hear compression/leak down was good, and it won't be too long before you're back up and running.

Chris
Thanks Chris. Enjoyed putting a face to the name. Wish I could have stuck around and had a few drinks after. Wasn't in the best of moods. I should have just brought my stock turbo car and went head to head with that new M3. Would have had more fun. Hope to see you again at another event. We can spend more time picking on Tony. Hahaha
(#35)
Old

Car: 2008 135i 6MT
Default 09-11-2016, 09:59 PM

Quote:
when you say "rebuilds", are you including "built" motors from various vendors? I assume not, but i want to check!!
(#36)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-12-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rac
when you say "rebuilds", are you including "built" motors from various vendors? I assume not, but i want to check!!
Included in the rant. The "built" motors have an atrocious failure rate. Almost worse than eBay motors.

Burger Motorsports

(#37)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 09-12-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
The worst part was the motor that was sourced had super low mileage. 28k to be exact and never opened up. Bummer for sure. Was really hoping this would be Ken's year at Shift Sector.

Well Ken, you can't keep a good man down. I think you need to run it next month.

Really bummed to hear that the rest of the vendors had problems as well. Sorry you guys didn't see the performance you wanted to.

(#38)
Old

Car: 2007 335i
Default 09-12-2016, 09:52 AM

Any word on Doc Race?
(#39)
Old

Car: Anything with a Turbo
Default 09-12-2016, 10:24 AM

As stated before our car was running PERFECT performance wise, the logs are a thing of beauty, I could not get the car into 5th very easily for whatever reason. Log attached showing it clearly, my 1-4 shifts were about .5 seconds each, took me 3 tries to get it into 5th over 2 seconds of the car coasting with 0 boost not far from the finish line. As far as why we went into limp, I know exactly what it caused it. We had 1 day to get the head back on the car, the dealer was completely out of the vanos sprocket bolts that are one use, I reused them as I had no choice if I wanted to make the race. I stretched them to spec, after they had already been stretched once. I should have put a little extra on them, I did not. I just got the valve cover off, and put the timing jig on the car, as expected the intake vanos sprocket slipped less than 1 tooth on the cam, but it was enough for the DME to notice something was amiss when doing its Crank to Cam position comparison, and it would not let it out of limp. Even disabling both codes in tuner pro, took them from being active codes into shadow codes, but it would still deactivate boost. We tried to run the car again, got to the line, and it made 0 boost. Me, and Chris cruised down the side of the runway at 35MPH, new record I am sure for slowest N54 1/2mile pass. Basically reusing an $8 bolt cause we ran out of time allowed us to run 3 times only, two shake downs at 22 psi, one good pass at 29 psi with a missed shift that still netted almost 155. We still had fun, the AD crew are seriously cool guys, it just wasn't our day.

As for the built motor failure rate terry made mention of. Honestly the N54 engine builders no offense are terrible. I finally decided to take my motors to a local machine shop that does race motors, they were happy for the challenge, and built me a short block in 2 weeks. The thing is amazing, I have never done a compression test, and had all 6 cylinders within .5 psi of each other. Dead even, the car runs so smooth. I will be bringing them my other failed built motor experiments, and have them fix them as well. The good news is, now we have the guy selling turbos out of his garage, selling built motors out of his garage too. That should work out well for everyone....
Attached Files
File Type: zip Screenshots.zip (1.40 MB, 177 views)

Vargas Turbocharger Technologies
Tony@Vargasturbo.com
www.Vargasturbo.com
Making the world happier one turbocharger at a time
(#40)
Old

Default 09-12-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007335i
Any word on Doc Race?
They ran 154, that's all I really know. They got in way more runs than the rest of us.

Tony@Vargasturbo.com
www.Vargasturbo.com
(#41)
Old

Car: 2010 135i 6MT
Default 09-12-2016, 10:51 AM

154 on nitrous and a huge turbo? eesh.

Enjoying the new tables discovered and the XDF progress made? if you'd like. Every bit is appreciated!
(#42)
Old
Tuner

Default 09-12-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech
As for the built motor failure rate terry made mention of. Honestly the N54 engine builders no offense are terrible. I finally decided to take my motors to a local machine shop that does race motors, they were happy for the challenge, and built me a short block in 2 weeks. The thing is amazing, I have never done a compression test, and had all 6 cylinders within .5 psi of each other. Dead even, the car runs so smooth. I will be bringing them my other failed built motor experiments, and have them fix them as well. The good news is, now we have the guy selling turbos out of his garage, selling built motors out of his garage too. That should work out well for everyone....
Payam told me you found a good shop for it. I hope it works out, Payam needs to sort something out for his car. And I still have the old junker motor in our MOTIV 135i. Gets a bit of blow by from time to time but seems to run strong otherwise. I'm sure its on borrowed time though at this point.

It took 3 eBay junker motors for the E92 before PURE found one that didn't smoke, ran normally. So that car has become a huge money black hole too. Seems the latest one is finally running properly though so hope to get that back up here in a week or two to sort out the tuning. And the old wonky running FFTEC motor is just sitting around there waiting for us to figure out what to do with it.

Burger Motorsports

(#43)
Old

Default 09-12-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Payam told me you found a good shop for it. I hope it works out, Payam needs to sort something out for his car. And I still have the old junker motor in our MOTIV 135i. Gets a bit of blow by from time to time but seems to run strong otherwise. I'm sure its on borrowed time though at this point.

It took 3 eBay junker motors for the E92 before PURE found one that didn't smoke, ran normally. So that car has become a huge money black hole too. Seems the latest one is finally running properly though so hope to get that back up here in a week or two to sort out the tuning. And the old wonky running FFTEC motor is just sitting around there waiting for us to figure out what to do with it.
I have a very good place up here, that took the time to figure out the N54 as it is very tricky to build. They took their time, and got everything right, and I still got it back in 2 weeks. If you guys need motors looked at, send them up on a pallet, we can get them drop them off for you. I am bringing them a motor, and head this week.

Tony@Vargasturbo.com
www.Vargasturbo.com
(#44)
Old
Demigod

Car: 12' 135i
Default 09-12-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyamona
154 on nitrous and a huge turbo? eesh.
from everything ive seen thus far it seems BMWs were the turtles at that event.

18 Glacier white RS3
#PURETURBOS
#FUELIT
(#45)
Old

Default 09-12-2016, 12:46 PM

So who's all going to the October event?
(#46)
Old
Demigod

Car: 12' 135i
Default 09-12-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007335i
So who's all going to the October event?
you talking no fly zone AZ?

18 Glacier white RS3
#PURETURBOS
#FUELIT
(#47)
Old

Default 09-12-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newguy123
Honestly it was a horrible showing for the platform, a whole lot of talk, and not much action. Next event should be a little better.

Tony@Vargasturbo.com
www.Vargasturbo.com
(#48)
Old

Default 09-12-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
you talking no fly zone AZ?
http://shift-s3ctor.com/california-airstrip-attack/
(#49)
Old

Car: 335xi
Default 09-12-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
It's tough to compare the N54 cars to Lambo Superleggera's with UGR twin turbo kits but they don't run in the same class. Then again, it's also tough to run against the newer AMG cars with the biturbo 5.5.

(#50)
Old

Default 09-12-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisPacMo
It's tough to compare the N54 cars to Lambo Superleggera's with UGR twin turbo kits but they don't run in the same class. Then again, it's also tough to run against the newer AMG cars with the biturbo 5.5.
This really wasn't that, it was just all the N54's either broke, or had issues

Tony@Vargasturbo.com
www.Vargasturbo.com