JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: M3 Comp xDrive
Default Using JB4 on Racetracks - 01-15-2022, 10:26 AM

Hey all,

Before installing a JB4 on my M3 comp, I was using the TrackAddict app to capture videos with car data. That way, I was able to create videos with track map and car data overlays. TrackAddict uses a OBD connector to read the car data in real-time during my sessions.

The problem with JB4 is that it requires to be connected to the OBD port at all time in order to work properly and give the best results. So.... now I have a dilemma: If I use JB4 as intended, I cannot have videos with car data and track map overlays. If I disconnect the JB4 from the OBD port, it'll performance poorly and be stuck on map 1, I believe.

Anyone ran into this and can provide some advise?

Cheers!
gec
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-15-2022, 10:57 AM

You should find a camera/GPS system that doesn't require OBDII data.

But map1 or map2 without OBDII is workable with minimal tuning drawback, you just don't get the extra safety systems.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 01-15-2022, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
You should find a camera/GPS system that doesn't require OBDII data.

But map1 or map2 without OBDII is workable with minimal tuning drawback, you just don't get the extra safety systems.

Thanks @Terry!

I thought there's a pretty big difference between maps 1-2 (3-4psi absolute boost) and maps 3-5 (22-25psi absolute boost). Is that not the case?

In order to overlay videos with track and car data, TrackAddict uses the OBD port as well. I don't know any other apps out there that do what TrackAddict does very well. I'll be happy to learn, though!
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-15-2022, 01:43 PM

There is, and running higher than map2 would really add a ton of performance. But it depends on the goal. Sometimes on the track power isn't really the limiting factor...

You could always try an OBDII splitter to see if they conflict. It depends what CANbus ID they use and what sample speed they require.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 01-15-2022, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
There is, and running higher than map2 would really add a ton of performance. But it depends on the goal. Sometimes on the track power isn't really the limiting factor...

You could always try an OBDII splitter to see if they conflict. It depends what CANbus ID they use and what sample speed they require.

Very true on track driving. I'm just losing some power due to being at 5K altitude (but not too much due to twin turbos), so I was thinking the JB4 will get me that power and torque back.

I didn't even know OBDII splitter is an option. Interesting... I'll look into that.

Thanks again Terry!
(#6)
Old

Smile Using JB4 on Racetrack - 02-19-2022, 09:44 AM

Update on this challenge:

I purchased this OBD splitter from Amazon: Right Angle OBD2 Splitter Y Cable Male Splitter to 2 Female Extension Cable 1ft Feet 30cm/12 (1male to 2 Female) 24AWG

Make sure JB4 is connected first and on extension #1.

Everything works well! Both JB4 Mobile and TrackAddict apps are working well, and you can switch JB4 maps and then record sessions using TrackAddict!

Only caveat is that once you set the map you want, avoid switching back and forth between apps as that will kill your session in TrackAddict.

Cheers!
gec

PS - JB4 map 3 and 5 (with the right mixture of E85) are making the xDrive M3 an absolute beast, which is amazing to say about a car that is already a freaking monster. Map 5 results with much more boost, and maybe slightly less smooth comparing to map 3. Both maps are pure joy! Just match the right map to your circumstances and driving style.
(#7)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-19-2022, 04:54 PM

Glad it worked out for you!

Burger Motorsports