N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Anti-Social

Car: 2021 M550i xDrive
Default N63 not as tunable? - 02-18-2020, 12:49 PM

Hey guys, Are you finding that the N63 doesn't take as well to tuning as the I6s? I was talking to a rep at one of the "other" companies, and they're seeing much smaller gains.

Their published gains:

N63 - 78hp, 86lb/ft
N63TU - 67hp, 73lb/ft
N63R - 53hp, 73lb/ft
N63B - 49hp, 73lb/ft

N54 - 79hp, 83lb/ft
N55 - 75hp, 77lb/ft
S55 - 84 hp, 78lb/ft
B58 - 60hp, 73lb/ft
S58 - 99hp, 91lb/ft

Are the N63s turbos undersized? Seem like it, or theres a major exhaust restriction. Its certainly not the long block, as they're seeing 119hp, 120lb/ft out of the M5 Comps S63TU.

Any idea? Looking at these gains, it's gonna be hard to pull the trigger on an M550 over an X3M, since the Straight 6 will end up stronger than the V8.

Mike Levy
2021 Tanzanite Blue II M550 xDrive
2010 Glacier Pearl Nissan Murano SL
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-18-2020, 02:18 PM

The N63R has tons of tuning potential. There are M550s in the 10s or close.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old
Anti-Social

Default 02-18-2020, 03:51 PM

Then I’m guessing it’s through OBD? Cause even their most expensive device is still MAP and TMAP only.

The other issue is that the R is no longer being used in cars. Just the base X5 and X6 50i. All the others have gone to the B, so that’s the one that needs to perform. The R was only used for two years in the 5 and 7, never in the 6 and 8.

Mike Levy
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-18-2020, 05:13 PM

The JB4 for N63R uses TMAP and EWG control, same as the F90 JB4. EWG is critical to getting the most out of them.

https://www.burgertuning.com/product...nt=25899355907

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Car: 07 335i
Default 03-04-2020, 01:23 PM

Honestly it seems not many are supporting this platform due to all the known and unknown defects/issues of the n63 engine as well as the tuning knowledge of this engines fanbase is really limited and people have had catastrophic issues from lack of understanding. For best performance this jb4 should definitely be stacked with a backend flash/external logging capabilities.

2015 FBO 550i msport(Daily)
2007 e92 MT single turbo 335i
(#6)
Old
Anti-Social

Default 03-04-2020, 03:42 PM

I talked to ProTuning Freaks. They are planning on supporting the N63B with BM3, but they don't know when. They currently only support the F-series N63TU, not the original N63, not the G-Series N63R. Hopefully they'll get good results with the B. Would be great to make M5 power for $30k less. I love my sleepers.

Mike Levy
(#7)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-04-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Monst3r
Honestly it seems not many are supporting this platform due to all the known and unknown defects/issues of the n63 engine as well as the tuning knowledge of this engines fanbase is really limited and people have had catastrophic issues from lack of understanding. For best performance this jb4 should definitely be stacked with a backend flash/external logging capabilities.
The new N63R is getting A LOT of attention, and we've been doing more with the N63TU lately. The 2011-2013 N63, really don't want to touch that one with a 10-foot pole and most of the aftermarket market is on the same page. Too many headaches with it.

Burger Motorsports

(#8)
Old

Car: 2011 550i Manual
Default 03-07-2020, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
The 2011-2013 N63, really don't want to touch that one with a 10-foot pole and most of the aftermarket market is on the same page. Too many headaches with it.
Sadly, these were the only ones offered with a real manual. I wouldn't own my car without the 3rd pedal.

It'd be nice if we could get some upgraded coils and a little support.

2011 550i 6MT
(#9)
Old
Anti-Social

Default 03-08-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDJL
Sadly, these were the only ones offered with a real manual. I wouldn't own my car without the 3rd pedal.

It'd be nice if we could get some upgraded coils and a little support.
The manuals were the slowest ones, so nobody gave half a **** when it was discontinued. Its not missed. In case you missed it, manuals accounted for 1.1% of total sales in the US last year. Electrics sold 1.6%. Thats how much people couldn't care less about those antiquated fossils. Outsold by electrics.

Mike Levy
(#10)
Old

Car: 2011 550i Manual
Default 03-08-2020, 07:38 PM

Yeah Mike, I don't care, some guys dig fat chicks too and hey, whatever floats your boat as long as it doesn't sink mine. I have a friend with the auto and I test drove a few too but while they're undoubtedly quicker, I found them as dull as hell and had zero interest. The thing is a boat anyway at 4300lbs and with the turbos you don't have to shift much but I still want to row my own gears or I am truly dead. I'll probably get an auto for my next daily since you can't find sticks in anything and the autos are not complete crap like they used to be but for a car that I only drive on occasion and is somewhat for fun, I press a clutch or I won't waste my time, it's part of the experience.

My next daily will probably be a small SUV like the X1 and I'll relegate the truck to truck stuff only. At that point, I might go back to an actual sporty car. Was seriously considering the new vette until... no 3rd pedal, so maybe a 911 or something in a few years if I have a daily that can seat 3-4 when needed.

2011 550i 6MT