N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: Z4 35i
Default Chinese ********* and charge pipe - 01-11-2018, 02:22 AM

I'm considering removing front cats and came across this listing.

AliExpress MerTop N54 Intake Turbo charge pipe Cooling kit +3'' downp1pes

At 284 USD, or 213 GBP delivered its a lot cheaper than what I can find in the UK.
A set of downp1pes alone cost more than this whole set.

Has anyone got any fist hand experience with the quality?
They look good from the pics - nice welds, CNC machined flanges etc.

Also, are the downp1pes LHD/RHD specific? I'm sure I saw a set for sale elsewhere and it said LHD only. Possibly to do with the O2 sensors?

p.s. why on earth is downp1pes a restricted word on this forum!?

Thanks!

E89 Z4 35i

Last edited by nick9one1; 01-11-2018 at 02:28 AM..
(#2)
Old

Car: 2010 X5M - Alpine White on Sakhir Orange
Default 03-07-2018, 06:17 PM

Bump...I just ran into these as well and they look exactly lime VRSF *****. I found their listings on eBay as well and they're listings are the same, word for word, minus Mertop or VRSF. Note that writing them directly via Alibaba saved even more and they offered me $261 shipped. Looks at these pics and try to find the differences because I can't.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/112841194004

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/222826099134

'10 BMW X5///M - Alpine White on Sakhir Orange - HCP Stage 2/JB4, NGK 97506 @ .20, SS intake w/ BMC filters, gutted cats, muffler delete & Vibrant 1794's, AC Forged 312 22's, H&R 2"
'08 BMW 535xiT - MHD 1+, BMS DCI, RB/Mishimoto, VRSF 7"
'98 BMW 740iL - ///E39 M5 6spd swap, fully built engine (sleeved, P&P, cams), 3.46 LSD, H&R Stage 2/Bilstein HD, Magnaflow 14816's
'97 BMW 328ci - ///E36 M3 clutch, L/W flywheel, 3.23LSD, Z4///M staggered 18's
(#3)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW 335i
Default 03-07-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james
Bump...I just ran into these as well and they look exactly lime VRSF *****. I found their listings on eBay as well and they're listings are the same, word for word, minus Mertop or VRSF. Note that writing them directly via Alibaba saved even more and they offered me $261 shipped. Looks at these pics and try to find the differences because I can't.

The extra cost in labor for trying to force the ********* to fit is gonna make up for the cost of buying actual ********* that have been tested and are known to fit
(#4)
Old

Car: 2007 335i 6mt
Default 03-07-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotPwned
The extra cost in labor for trying to force the ********* to fit is gonna make up for the cost of buying actual ********* that have been tested and are known to fit
But someone's gotta be first. Let us know the fitment. I'm looking to get ********* and am hesitant to spend $500+ on a pair of 3" *****.
(#5)
Old

Default 03-07-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotPwned
Are you speaking from experience on these exact ***** or are you going off the old mantra of "you get what you pay for"...as we're driving notoriously overpriced AND notoriously unreliable cars

- People figured out Dinan was relabeling stock M62 non-TU intake manifolds to M62TU owners as their own for like a $2000 profit
- I saw aluminum motorcycle stands at Harbor Freight for $30 a piece, but they didn't have spools. I went down the street to look at stands at Cycle Gear and they had the exact same stands for $90 with a label on them saying they were made in Sweden. I bought spools there and went back to HF for the stands...been holding my heavy ass TLR up for 8yrs
- I installed a catch can/drain back PCV type setup for my supercharged Harley F150 that came with a lifetime warranty on parts and tubing for $180. Once I got the setup, it still had part numbers on it and Google searches showed it was nothing more than a $30 commercial refrigeration part that this company claims was modified for this application when I asked then what my $180 is paying for.
- I recently bought a stereo for my X5M from a company called AVIN based in CA. Tracking showed it came from Hong Kong, had a day layover in CA and then proceeded to ship to me. It stopped at AVIN so could add their GPS splitter and throw an AVIN sticker onto the stereo. Once I got the box, it was full of labeling coming from a website called www.dx.com...who ironically sells car stereos for less than what I paid.

Are you 100% sure VRSF isn't just buying these and reshipping them? It's not like they're the first or last company who could/are doing this. Damn near EVERYTHING comes from China nowadays...even that phone/laptop you're replying from. Alpha charges like $3k for the ********* vs others who charge 1/3 that, they clearly look custom as they look like no one elses. Being that it's a $100 difference, odds are VRSF is playing the middle man.

I get what you're saying, but I want facts, not an old mantra that needs to die because manufacturing has in America as well. Anyways, I'm going to put down my chinese made phone and go back to assembling (not manufacturing, sadly) this airplane wing made with parts from China, Australia, Mexico, Japan and multiple other places.

'10 BMW X5///M - Alpine White on Sakhir Orange - HCP Stage 2/JB4, NGK 97506 @ .20, SS intake w/ BMC filters, gutted cats, muffler delete & Vibrant 1794's, AC Forged 312 22's, H&R 2"
'98 BMW 740iL - ///E39 M5 6spd swap, fully built engine (sleeved, P&P, cams), 3.46 LSD, H&R Stage 2/Bilstein HD, Magnaflow 14816's

Last edited by m5james; 03-07-2018 at 09:29 PM..
(#6)
Old

Car: Z4 35i
Default 03-08-2018, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srey
But someone's gotta be first. Let us know the fitment. I'm looking to get ********* and am hesitant to spend $500+ on a pair of 3" *****.
As the OP I can confirm I bought the ***** and fitted them.

They seem very well made. Really nice welds and good quality stainless.

I fitted them myself, on the driveway with nothing more than a standard socket set and axle stands.
It was awkward, but no more than fitting any other set of *********. I

E89 Z4 35i
(#7)
Old

Default 03-08-2018, 01:00 AM

Wait, you got a charge pipe and ********* ***** for less than ***** ***** only for the 535xi...not fair :-) I'm glad to hear they fit well, now I've gotta see if they've got a 535xi charge pipe as well.

Last edited by m5james; 03-08-2018 at 11:57 AM..
(#8)
Old

Car: 2007 335i 6mt
Default 03-08-2018, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick9one1
As the OP I can confirm I bought the ***** and fitted them.

They seem very well made. Really nice welds and good quality stainless.

I fitted them myself, on the driveway with nothing more than a standard socket set and axle stands.
It was awkward, but no more than fitting any other set of *********. I
Great! How long did the install take you? Maybe I'll grab a set.
(#9)
Old

Car: 2009 135i
Default 03-08-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Are you 100% sure VRSF isn't just buying these and reshipping them? It's not like they're the first or last company who could/are doing this. Damn near EVERYTHING comes from China nowadays...even that phone/laptop you're replying from.
I could not agree with you more. Personally work in the aftermarket parts business and it's crazy how many parts for domestic and import vehicles are coming from China. Not much difference for the high performance parts that you buy through some of the well known companies. Actually found one of the company's (not going to share the name out of courtesy) bill of lading form from a China Mfg. in one of our port tracking tools.

However, not sure if any of you have been to China in the past couple of years but there have been some big changes in how they produce products. As long as the mfg. is a quality company they can make some high end parts. Definitely know that some of the major parts that come on our cars from the factory are made in China factories.

Obviously that can open a much bigger topic so I will stop there.

Back to the actual topic:

Personally I don't see the point of spending such large amounts of money on metal piping. As long as the welds are good and it fits, what is really the difference?

I've personally never used the product that you listed however, I have tried some that looked just like it from E-Bay (same picture and around $170 shipped) and they did not fit. Well I take that back the rear down pipe fit but the front one was off and would not allow the v-band to work. Also the O2 bung required grinding for the O2 sensor to screw in. Also some of the welds needed some touch up to make sure they would not crack. These were returned for full refund.

The second one I bought was from Amazon (http://a.co/hxTjeF6 ) these were a little more than the others at $220 but were from China as well. Actually had really fast shipping. Also the quality was way better with good welds, good O2 bungs, and they fit perfectly on my car.

So overall I would say it's kind of hit or miss with the low cost China down-pipe. You have the time and workspace, you can try out different ones until you find the ones that fit and work for you.

Mods:
- JB4, E85 PI BEF, VRSF Charge Pipe, Custom Down Pipe, MMP Inlets, Custom Stage 3 FP, 700cc PI, 100% E85
(#10)
Old

Car: 535i
Default 03-10-2018, 08:27 AM

I found some of the IC that big brands are selling locally from allibaba, its the same item, now I havent found the vsrf ********* but I think they are mertop, let me know anyone with e60s that want to do a group buy from china
(#11)
Old

Car: 08 535i
Default 03-10-2018, 10:17 AM

I used to work in manufacturing, the designs could all be ordered to spec but the company that makes it determines the quality. Price does not always dictate better quality, but it can be a good guide.

Anyone research these? 1320 p1pes. I am sure they have been talked about but I know very little.

http://1320performancestore.com/bmw%...estpipe%20test

https://m.ebay.com/itm/1320-Performa...-/222079045460

Last edited by rkreimer10; 03-10-2018 at 10:27 AM..
(#12)
Old

Car: Bmw 335i
Default 04-20-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:

There is a some o2 placement differences. But what about the MMP ? those are only $239

Quote:
Originally Posted by srey
^^^ MMP Sells **'s for less than 250