N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2010 335I E93
Default Rattle upon 25% or less throttle, Not hitting boost target. - 04-09-2020, 01:18 PM

So, I recently blew my cats out and replaced with empty *****. I was having a boost issue, and it was much worse until my D p's were installed, since there were pieces of *** blocking my exhaust. Now that my car has fbo, I would expect it to run amazing. However it feels strong in lower rpms than higher.

In the last thread I started, I was told I look great on my logs, however my timing was being adjusted, and it was recommended I throw some e85 in to bring the octane up.

What I would like to know is, could this rattle that only comes on under light acceleration be related to timing/octane? And could these timing adjustments be making or causing this rattle? Or could these be my wastegates? And could this be the reason Im making 14psi when the boost target is 17psi?

What I have done so far:
Checked my boost solenoid's vacuum, both are right up with each other and look good.
When doing my *********, I finally plugged the vacuum line for the exhaust flap, which didnt have anything in it for a while, but the car boosted harder with it not plugged. (dont know if this caused any issues, but i would assume it did more good than bad plugging a vacuum leak.)
Checked for loose hose clamps or piping from hot side of the IC to the intake mani.

My mods:
D p's
DCI
BOV & chargepipe
IC
JB4 & MHD BEF

I will take any logs requested ASAP, and I am going to take a few initial logs to put here in a few minutes.
(#2)
Old

Default 04-09-2020, 02:35 PM

Heres a log of Map 2 & 5, and I have only about 13 psi vs the 17psi target
Attached Files
File Type: csv 200409_1716.csv (142.7 KB, 50 views)
File Type: csv 200409_1717.csv (81.8 KB, 47 views)
(#3)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 04-09-2020, 03:42 PM

You’re pretty under target, & FF is maxed

That rattle is likely worn wastegates

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4)
Old

Default 04-09-2020, 04:15 PM

That gives me SOME peace of mind about the rattle. Sounds like its time to save for a single.
And if I remember correctly from my previous thread, you said it is most likely a leak correct? Unless a silicon connector on the intake somewhere popped a hole or something, since I've already checked for leaks visually, do you think FF would be maxed with boost under target due to a vacuum leak or maybe wastegate leak?
(#5)
Old

Default 04-11-2020, 02:37 PM

Could my BOV be letting boost off too quickly? I dont know what springs I have, but it was a package for an n54 so I know 11psi is standard. Here's some more logs in different maps. It looks to me wgdc and ff is good now, but I just don't understand why I can't achive full boost and why it feels laggy-er than it used to.

Last edited by Yarbis; 04-11-2020 at 02:44 PM..
(#6)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 04-11-2020, 07:50 PM

I don’t see any logs attached.

Rattle like your describing sounds like text book wastegate rattle / worn Turbos

You can replace / check everything, but if the Turbos are physically showing signs of rattle - replacing things outside of Turbos probably won’t help much

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old

Default 04-19-2020, 07:23 AM

Sorry for the long delay, been stupid busy this week.
Here's some logs, I don't know why they didn't attach before.
In these logs, the jb4 shows meth, but I'm not using meth... Could this be a reason that my boost is not up to target, and I feel like timing is a little low up high, what are normal timing values to have?
Also, rarely I get a long crank time lately, but it doesnt happen more than once a week if that. This gives me a small suspicion it could be HPFP related.
Attached Files
File Type: csv Max-METH.csv (8.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: csv 200417_2206.csv (11.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: csv 13.5 psi 17psi target.csv (18.5 KB, 43 views)
(#8)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 04-19-2020, 09:22 AM

Based on these logs, up top you can see your boost fall 2-3 psi under target & wgdc is up there in the 80-9x range. This tells me that your Turbos are working extremely hard & still are not able to achieve target aka tired Turbos.

I think your going to struggle to make more boost up top, given your Turbos condition that you are describing.

Burger Motorsports