N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#801)
Old

Car: Mazda 3 turbo
Default 01-07-2022, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quack30
hello mazda people I got some acceleration testings done in my cx30 running map 2 here's the GoPro footage and stats if you're interested

Stage 1 JB4 Mazda Cx-30 Turbo Launch Acceleration - YouTube
is it a big difference on 91 octane? I can only get 91 where I am
(#802)
Old

Car: Mazda CX-5 2.5t 2019
Default 01-08-2022, 04:17 PM

Quote:
We have not tested intakes on the CX models so can't advise you on that. But on the tuning end getting the MAF connection working on those is a priority as they need it for optimal tuned performance regardless of intake.
+1 for CX-5 MAF - will order when MAF is working and final connectors are available.

Once CX-5 MAF is ready will map2 on 92 pump be reliable and generate max gains or will it detune on 92?

Is there any reason to get this for CX-5 before MAF is working? What improvements?

Super excited this is still in development!

Last edited by cx5-sleeper; 01-08-2022 at 04:27 PM..
(#803)
Old

Car: Mazda 3 turbo
Default 01-08-2022, 11:04 PM

Hey guys, good news, so apparently the new mazda 2.5T puts out 256 Hp???... 2022 Mazda CX-5 Pricing and Specs Announced, Turbo Gets a Power Bump so we know we are good for longevity there any guesses as to what a sustainable HP would be? I would assume probablky 250-260 whp would be sustainable as a long term tune.. on 91 of course :P
(#804)
Old

Car: 2021 Mazda CX-5 Turbo Carbon Edition
Default 01-09-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cx5-sleeper
Is there any reason to get this for CX-5 before MAF is working? What improvements?
I saw +30hp/+40lbft on my cx-5 that has a ram intake and a corksport boost tube without the MAF connection. You won't be able to increase the boost past 3.4lbs without the DME boost target self lowering. That is what the JB4 MAF connection helps with, the ECU limits the air flow in the 2.5T engine.
(#805)
Old

Default CX-5 boost/gains on 92 pump without MAF - 01-09-2022, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymwalk
I saw +30hp/+40lbft on my cx-5 that has a ram intake and a corksport boost tube without the MAF connection. You won't be able to increase the boost past 3.4lbs without the DME boost target self lowering. That is what the JB4 MAF connection helps with, the ECU limits the air flow in the 2.5T engine.
Thanks tymwalk, was that on 93? IIRC you’re running meth so assume octane isn’t an issue for you. I can get 92 pump here in PNW.

What SRI are you using? Saw you did some custom heat shield work to reduce IAT, was that for throttle response only or did you see any gains from that? Interested in what benefits you saw with intake/boost tube/heat shield and if you’d recommend those as part of a build? Have had minimal luck with intake mods (besides sound) in the past, but did a throttle body coolant delete that helped reduce IAT for throttle response in the past. Looking to minimize the mods on this build since it’s a DD I share with my GF.

Quote:
Not sure how to format this better in the forum but here is a table of why the MAF and EWG control will be critical. The numbers below go Map 0, Map 1 then Map 2

The piggyback system for the 6, CX-5, and CX-9 currently don't have MAF integrated into the JB4. You can see even in Map 1 that the ECU sees that the MAF value is not in line with boost target and lowers DME boost target to normalize.

I was first thinking that MAF integration in my CX-5 would help push boost past Map 2 (so my WMI can shine) but I am more interested now in the increase I can see in Map 1 and Map 2 if the DME boost target will stay steady.

[RPM][ECU Target] [JB4 +psi][TMAP reading][AFR][Timing]

Map0
[2500] [8.7] [0] [8.7] [14.7] [3]
[3500] [15.2] [0] [15.2] [11.2] [1]
[4500] [17.6] [0] [17.6] [10.5] [3.5]
[5500] [16] [0] [16] [11.5] [7]

map1
[2500] [4.7] [2.6] [7.5] [14.9] [7.5]
[3500] [14.9] [2.6] [17.3] [11.4] [0.5]
[4500] [15.8] [2.6] [18.3] [10.6] [4]
[5500] [13.8] [2.6] [16.5] [11] [8]

map2
[2500] [3.8] [3] [5.7] [15] [7]
[3500] [14.5] [3.4] [17.9] [11.3] [1]
[4500] [15.5] [3.4] [19] [10.6] [3.5]
[5500] [13.1] [3.4] [16.5] [11.6] [7]
So if I understand correctly, JB4 with:
- map1: +2.6 psi boost on top of ecu generated boost target (DME)
- map2: +3-3.4 psi boost on top of DME

Not sure I’m reading this right, but looking at TMAP and DME for both map1 and map2 the DME looks to be self lowering vs. map0, with TMAP showing a max boost delta (vs map0) of like 1.4 psi max for map2 @ 4500.

So if I’m looking for a conservative CX-5 tune on 92 pump I could run map2 to get +3.4 psi boost, but with DME self lowering its more like +1.4 psi max boost per TMAP reading? Will MAF integration help with this or just allowing more than +3.4 boost?

Any reported CX-5 issues with map2 on 92 pump or should I stick with map1? Probably won’t mess with E85 blend since this is a DD that I share with my GF and not available nearby.

What CX-5 gains are people seeing with map1 on 91?

Last edited by cx5-sleeper; 01-09-2022 at 02:30 PM..
(#806)
Old

Default 01-09-2022, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Thanks tymwalk, was that on 93?

What SRI are you using?

if you’d recommend those as part of a build?

So if I’m looking for a conservative CX-5 tune on 92 pump I could run map2 to get +3.4 psi boost, but with DME self lowering its more like +1.4 psi max boost per TMAP reading? Will MAF integration help with this or just allowing more than +3.4 boost?

Any reported CX-5 issues with map2 on 92 pump or should I stick with map1?

What CX-5 gains are people seeing with map1 on 91?
I am using the corksport SRI. This mod was needed for the way I mounted the methanol pump. The JB4 with the MAF connection will be able to utilize the intake more by adding a bias profile. Don't worry about this too much. I would wait to see if Burger Motorsports will add their intake to the cx-5.

My heat shield work was in an attempt to prevent timing being pulled. I would also wait to see what Burger Motorsports provides and be a little less DIY with the car if it is a DD.

My CX-5 uses 93 octane most of the time. You can monitor the knock with the JB4 by checking ignition 2 on the V1 firmware. If your ignition 2 profile isn't doing much and most of the time stays at zero than 92 octane is plenty for map 2.

Map 1 was like +20hp/+30lbft. Both maps help with the 3500rpm to 4500rpm pull.
(#807)
Old

Default 01-10-2022, 12:56 AM

Quote:
- wait to see if Burger Motorsports will add their intake to the cx-5.
- wait to see what Burger Motorsports provides for heat shield
- If your ignition 2 profile isn't doing much and most of the time stays at zero than 92 octane is plenty for map 2.
- Map 1 was like +20hp/+30lbft. Both maps help with the 3500rpm to 4500rpm pull.
Map 1 CX-5 gains on 91 sound pretty good, hoping we can do better with MAF and ideally a map for 92 pump which is common in the PNW (but happy to try map2 on 92, monitor knock and send logs).

Ready to order JB4 for CX-5 but looking for:
- MAF sensor integrated
- final connectors that snap into place and stay without mods
- extra 1ft cable length for clean install
- cold weather powerloss issue fixed - we hit cold weather in the mountains

Berger CX-5 intake/heat shield also sounds great plus anything else that will give reliable power gains for a DD.

Looking forward to more progress on the CX-5 JB4 and thanks for all your hard work so far … very promising!
(#808)
Old

Car: 2018 Mazda 6 2.5T
Default Great stuff - 01-10-2022, 12:00 PM

Great info guys. So on the intake front I pulled the trigger on the AEM, because of its heat shield, and amazing look in the engine compartment. Dont mind the scratches, they sent me a replacement overnight, I just havent swapped it out yet. I'm going to drill some holes in the side of it where its next to the battery, to mount my jb4 lower, instead of zipped to the battery box. Would be great if Burger's intake had a heatshield similar, with mounts on that side specifically for the JB4, just throwing that out there guys.
Attached Images

(#809)
Old

Default 01-10-2022, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadf00t
Would be great if Burger's intake had a heatshield similar, with mounts on that side specifically for the JB4, just throwing that out there guys.
+1 a Burger CX-5 intake with JB4 mount and good heat shield — are there any plans for this?

Last edited by cx5-sleeper; 01-10-2022 at 11:54 PM..
(#810)
Old

Car: Mazda 3 TURBO AWD
Default 01-12-2022, 09:06 AM

I'm just waiting for the correct connector and intake to be released so i can purchase right away. Although he did mention in earlier post that once the correct one is made they will be replaced free of charge. And hopefully with the intake release there will be a new map. He did say this year so hopefully sooner then later.
(#811)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-13-2022, 11:10 AM

Quote:
+1 a Burger CX-5 intake with JB4 mount and good heat shield — are there any plans for this?
We're doing an Mazda3 intake only at this time, sorry. It's expensive to make these so need to go for the higher volume models first.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#812)
Old

Car: E92 335i 6MT
Default 01-13-2022, 11:48 AM

Excited to find support for this platform here. I might end up with a 2022 CX-30 if they really are going to start selling them next month. I've had my N54 JB4 for years now and am comfortable with the hardware and software side of things, happy to help out with logs and whatever
(#813)
Old

Car: 2020 Mazda 6 Signature
Default 01-13-2022, 11:48 AM

Hi, i saw people talk about catch cans and how important they are, i am planning to buy one and i saw a lot of different brands, the CS one seems a bit too expensive for a catch can, does anyone recommend a specific one? And is it really worth the money in the first place?
(#814)
Old
Tuner

Default 01-13-2022, 04:02 PM

We haven't done testing yet on the platform to see if one would be beneficial. But it's on our to do list!

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#815)
Old

Car: 2021 Mazda Cx-30 Turbo
Default 01-14-2022, 11:50 AM

hello so ive been having a lot of MAF issues lately and its gotten to the point where my engine is chugging constantly or “lagging” i guess you could say, and a few different times recently at lower rpms, the engine just completely stalls. Ignition 2 shows Im getting a decent amount of knock. To try and fix the problems i usually just un plug and re plug the maf connection back in and im not really sure a better alternative
(#816)
Old

Default 01-14-2022, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quack30
hello so ive been having a lot of MAF issues lately and its gotten to the point where my engine is chugging constantly or “lagging” i guess you could say, and a few different times recently at lower rpms, the engine just completely stalls. Ignition 2 shows Im getting a decent amount of knock. To try and fix the problems i usually just un plug and re plug the maf connection back in and im not really sure a better alternative
How do you know it's MAF issues?
(#817)
Old

Car: BP turbo hatch
Default 01-16-2022, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadf00t
Great info guys. So on the intake front I pulled the trigger on the AEM, because of its heat shield, and amazing look in the engine compartment. Dont mind the scratches, they sent me a replacement overnight, I just havent swapped it out yet. I'm going to drill some holes in the side of it where its next to the battery, to mount my jb4 lower, instead of zipped to the battery box. Would be great if Burger's intake had a heatshield similar, with mounts on that side specifically for the JB4, just throwing that out there guys.
Where did you get this?