JB4tech.com - International Turbo Tuning Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 14í 453i
Default Boost pressure lower than expected!! - 07-26-2019, 07:16 PM

I just picked up my car today from the shop. Currently running, JB4, VRSF Race intercooler, BMS intake, VRSF charge pipe, ******* **. Picked the car up from having PS2 installed. On stock turbo I was easily hitting 14-16psi, and now with PS2 I am having trouble making even 9lbs of boost on E30. Looked for boost leaks, and talked to the mechanic and he is telling me I need a BEF to make the same boost as I was before. I tried several maps, 1,2 and 5. All with the same results

The car is targeting 17psi and throws the boost pressure lower than expect code. I donít understand how an upgraded turbo would cause me to make less boost? Iíve seen several others make plenty of power on JB4 alone, and any insight of tips would be helpful.
(#2)
Old

Car: 2015 F22 M235i
Default 07-27-2019, 07:09 AM

Sounds like a boost leak to me. Have you checked all intercooler and charge pipe connections?

2014 335i xDrive / Silver / ZF8 / M-Sport / 400M / BM3 2H Map / xHP Stage 3 / ATM FMIC / H&R Sports / VRSF **/CP
(#3)
Old
M-Terkait

Car: F30 335i
Default 07-27-2019, 08:04 AM

maybe your wastegate isn't installed properly. or Have huge boost leak.
JB4 targets BOOST not Load so you don't need BEF to hit boost targets.

sharing a log in map2/5 will help us diagnose.

N55 - Doc race 6266.
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-27-2019, 09:21 AM

Attach the log..

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 07-27-2019, 11:13 AM

if boost on target and u still see the code, just disable it from BEF, normal code when upgrade the turbo
(#6)
Old

Default 07-27-2019, 12:36 PM

I have checked all connections between turbo all the way to the throttle body. And they all seem to be properly installed, but I will say the OEM turbo outlet does fit semi loose on the intercooler. I pulled it off and made sure there is an O ring inside.

I was thinking that the wastegate may not have been properly installed as well after checking all connections.

Hereís a screenshot of the log on Map 5. I am going to upload the CSV shortly
Attached Images

(#7)
Old

Default 07-27-2019, 01:01 PM

CSV for the above screenshot.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2nd-6th not hitting target .csv (9.8 KB, 199 views)
(#8)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 07-28-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffHouston
CSV for the above screenshot.
This looks like a pretty major boost leak

Way under target / FF maxes @ 150

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#9)
Old
M-Terkait

Car: F30 335i
Default 07-29-2019, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It!
This looks like a pretty major boost leak

Way under target / FF maxes @ 150
Not sure if your car is EWG, I think EWG will pop error if wastegate position is not correct.

N55 - Doc race 6266.
(#10)
Old

Default 08-07-2019, 06:23 PM

I took the car back to the shop. They checked for boost leaks, didnít find any. And so he adjusted the EWG. After pickup the car up again today it seems I am still in the same boat. Although the FF On this log looks to not be maxing our, I am curious if the wastegate still isnít properly adjusted because the car feels slower than it did on stock turbo and Iím pretty disappointed so far with the PS2 because of it, but Iím really hoping we are just looking at some installer error on this. He said if it still isnít right he will dig into it, but at this point Iím considering taking it to another shop and paying to have them adjust the wastegate so itís done properly and over with. Thoughts anybody? Log attached.
Attached Files
File Type: csv not hitting target.csv (6.7 KB, 187 views)
(#11)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 08-07-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffHouston
I took the car back to the shop. They checked for boost leaks, didnít find any. And so he adjusted the EWG. After pickup the car up again today it seems I am still in the same boat. Although the FF On this log looks to not be maxing our, I am curious if the wastegate still isnít properly adjusted because the car feels slower than it did on stock turbo and Iím pretty disappointed so far with the PS2 because of it, but Iím really hoping we are just looking at some installer error on this. He said if it still isnít right he will dig into it, but at this point Iím considering taking it to another shop and paying to have them adjust the wastegate so itís done properly and over with. Thoughts anybody? Log attached.
You can try unplugging the EWG connector - just tuck it out of way safetly

Burger Motorsports

(#12)
Old

Default 08-08-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It!
You can try unplugging the EWG connector - just tuck it out of way safetly
Iíve got the latest revision of the JB4, after checking it doesnít seem to have a connector that actually goes to the EWG. If Iím correct that is controlled via OBD port, right? If not please correct me!