N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#51)
Old
Flame Thrower

Car: 335xi 6MT
Default 11-01-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorFranko
The pictures were a great help making this DIY fairly straightforward but I'm surprised no one has mentioned what to me was the hardest part, namely having enough space to jam the JB3 with the adapter cable attached inside the ECU box. It's a pretty tight fit and requires some careful repositioning before everything is buttoned up.
In my ecu box there is an open compartment at the front of the box (near front of car). The jb3 sits in there with no problem.
(#52)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 11-01-2010, 10:46 AM

Yep, plenty of room in there.

Individual Velvet Blue Manual E90 335i M-Sport.
(#53)
Old
I love me some used mods!

Car: nothing at the moment....
Default Great Help - 01-01-2011, 10:34 PM

This DIY is a nice guide for this procedure and really helped me this afternoon. Like the others said you do NOT need to take apart the harnesses, but the key to this procedure is the second to last pic by bimmer335i07. Make sure you look at it and orientate yourself to what you are looking at in the passenger wheel well. That makes a world of difference.

Again, great write up for a stealth procedure.

COBB AP|CP-e|ETS|ER|Forge DVs|KW V1|M3 Sways|BBS CH|BMS|
(#54)
Old

Default 01-01-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
That's what I thought .. How about dealer visit? Can it be left in or would be a good idea to take it out before hand ?
I did this install in a way that it can be left in. The key is to run the cable (inside the car) up over existing wiring and into the glove box from through the back. There is a small wall in the back of the glove box that the cable can be hid behind during dealer visits.

On the DME side make sure that most of the cable has been pulled through to the inside of the car and push the JB3 connection end down under the all the harness and DME when you take the JB3 out. I really doubt they would look further than opening the DME box top if they were suspicious of a tune.

(#55)
Old

Car: 09' 335i
Default 03-13-2011, 12:07 PM

Thanks a million times for the write up ... I was looking all around the engine bay and under the glove box and could not find an easy way to route the wire till I saw this ... so easy and it's nice and stealth

Thanks!!!
(#56)
Old

Default 09-04-2011, 08:13 AM

I've just had a frustrating afternoon failing to put the USB interface through the firewall on a right-hand drive car. Can someone with access to the relevant diagrams check to see whether the relevant holes and crevices are the same for left and right hand drive, please?
(#57)
Old

Car: 335i 318ti
Default 09-04-2011, 08:31 AM

I don't know about RH drive cars but I do know about your frustration. On the LH cars there are 2 openings thru the firewall, one right above the other. You have to go thru the bottom one and need to remove the DME carrier to see it. Spent countless hours trying to fish a wire thru the wrong hole that goes to a little fan. Lucky the fan wasn't destroyed.
(#58)
Old
335is 7DCT/JB4

Car: BMW 335IS 7DCT/JB4
Default 09-21-2011, 07:06 AM

Quick question is the USB a special cable or a standard USB part?

Kevin

2018 440 MPPSK/MPE
2014 435 MPPK/THP
2013 135is 6MT/JB4/ISO
2011 335is 7DCT/JB4/ISO/BMS Flash(sold)
FF Cobra Mk-IV COYOTE BOSS + TKO-600
(#59)
Old
Tuner

Car: 2009 335i AT
Cool 09-21-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Quick question is the USB a special cable or a standard USB part?
Special cable from Terry.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#60)
Old
335is 7DCT/JB4

Car: BMW 335IS 7DCT/JB4
Default 09-21-2011, 11:24 AM

OK thanks

Kevin

2018 440 MPPSK/MPE
2014 435 MPPK/THP
2013 135is 6MT/JB4/ISO
2011 335is 7DCT/JB4/ISO/BMS Flash(sold)
FF Cobra Mk-IV COYOTE BOSS + TKO-600
(#61)
Old

Car: 2008 135i
Default 10-24-2011, 12:42 AM

I did not search enough about installing the cable so I installed my JB4 and left it in the DME box. I removed the ECU already to get the slider in properly and I thought I needed to remove the whole box so I stopped right there. Anyway when I install my meth kit I will do this nice write up.

1970 Morris Cooper S
2008 BMW 135i Coupe
2008 BMW 128i Cabriolet

"Aerodynamics is for people who cannot build engines" Enzo Ferrari
(#62)
Old

Default 11-27-2011, 03:17 PM

Just did this today, the only thing I noticed on my car (2008 335i, 2nd owner)
is that I have T20 torx screws instead of T8 inside the cabin under the glove compartment. Other than that this is incredibly straight forward and is the best way to route this cable.

Well worth the time and doesn't look ghetto!

Thanks for taking the time to figure this out.
(#63)
Old

Car: AW e92 335xi
Default 04-02-2012, 07:11 AM

Is it a problem if the cable got stuck between the edge of the dashboard and the edge of the back of the glovebox when closed? It is squeezed between the two as far as I can see. Don't want to harm the cable. Or do you guys hide it behind the removable back of the glovebox when not needing it? Thanks in advance.

montini
(#64)
Old

Default 04-02-2012, 05:18 PM

it really shouldnt get caught anywhere. Take off the removable wall in the back of the glove box and route it up with the existing electrical wiring behind the glove box. It should come in OVER THE REMOVABLE WALL when it's all done.

(#65)
Old

Default 06-18-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer335i07
Since there doesn't seem to be a DIY on here (or at least I haven't seen one). I made a short write up on how to route the USB through the engine bay's firewall into the passenger side footwell. Then after that you can just run it up into the glove box. I'm sure everyone knows how to get into their DME and into their fuse box in the glove, so I'll leave that info out. lol!

Disconnect the negative terminal to battery.

1. Inside the passenger side footwell, below the glove box. Use a T8 torx bit or T8 torx screwdriver to remove the 2 screws where the yellow arrows are pointing and let the plastic cover lay on the floor.

2. Go into engine bay to the DME box and unclip the plugs where the red arrows are. Every car is different because of options. So, mine might have more plugs than yours and some might have more or less than mine, but if you see plugs there, just unplug them. Don't worry about remembering which position it was taken out, it can only go back in one way. And it's all color coded, BMW FTW! lol!
(The reason for unplugging the plugs, is so that it'll make it easier to remove the plastic dividers later on.)

3. Pull out the rubber grommets where the yellow arrows are.
(This way, you can move the wires towards the headlights to give you more room to remove the DME, plastic dividers and the small plastic box that holds the DME.)

Once everything is unplugged and pulled out. Pull all the wiring harnesses towards the headlights and it should look like the pic below.

4. Pull the tabs where the yellow arrows are and remove the DME.

5. Pull the tab where the red arrow is to remove that divider.

6. Pull the tab where the green arrow is to remove that divider.

Once the DME and the dividers are removed, it should look like the pic below.

7. Remove the small box that holds the DME and the dividers.

Once the box is out, you'll see a hole where you will push the USB wire through.

8. Push the USB cable straight down, don't need to use a lot of force, just stick it down and you'll see it in the passenger side footwell. Just push it through probably about an inch or two.
(Don't need any type of hanger or wire.)

9. Go to the passenger side footwell in the middle and you should see the USB cable sticking out.

Once the USB is through, pull as much of it as you can and route it up into the glove box.

Once the USB cable is through, just go in reverse and put everything back. Once everything is put back together, plug the negative terminal back onto the battery and test to make sure everything is good. After running the USB cable through the firewall, you can follow Terry's instructions on the 2.0 upgrade.

That's it!

:D

There might be easier ways to do this DIY, but I found this to be the easiest way for me. I have done 2 cars so far, mine and another member's and it's pretty straight forward.

GL!
Great write up!!!!!
(#66)
Old

Car: 335 coupe
Default 06-19-2012, 06:51 AM

FYI: If you have a fishing lead, I used a piece of hard vacuum line, you can do feed the cable through in a couple minutes without removing any ecu box items.
(#67)
Old

Car: BMW
Default 08-07-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerocious
FYI: If you have a fishing lead, I used a piece of hard vacuum line, you can do feed the cable through in a couple minutes without removing any ecu box items.

Exactly ... I routed USB line without removing anything at all from ECU box.
Just push the USB end through the slot and look for it under the glove box...done.
(#68)
Old

Default 12-11-2012, 08:29 AM

Just so everyone knows, on the N55, there is no E-Box fan, so the wire routes pretty easily through the hole where the fan would sit. Since the DME isnt in the E-box on N55s, no need for an E-box fan I guess.
(#69)
Old

Car: 09 E90
Default 03-02-2013, 09:26 PM

Anyone else found it difficult to insert the USB cable? Going to take another crack at installing the USB cable. I removed my DME and the divider but could not get the usb connector to go down an inch. It crossed my mind to use a clothes hanger but i nixed the idea and left the cable inside the engine compartment.
(#70)
Old

Car: 2011 335i X Drive
Default 04-19-2013, 07:53 AM

Just to note. I tried my best to follow this for the N55...and the first entry into the firewall does NOT work. i lifted up the white plastic shroud and it was solid steel. I felt it with my fingers. no way around it. I had to work through the top opening.. Exactly where picture 3 is labeled "Pull tab to remove the divider", that opening...basically the tiny one that is oval shaped. no way i could get the USB through there, but i got a coat hanger into the engine bay...so i took my dremel and made a hole at the bottom of that opening where I could slide the USB through the firewall. The angle was too extreme if you didn't make the hole to slide it through. I would take pics but i packaged everything up already. Works fine no problems.

Thanks for the thread! Everything else worked as planned.

2018 C43 AMG Black/Black
JB1 Map 2
Full 20% Tints All-Around
Custom Front-License Plate
Check my YouTube [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8K...as=subscriber] Channel for more
(#71)
Old

Car: 135i N55 DCT
Default 04-19-2013, 11:47 AM

did it on my 135 n55 yesterday!
didnt bother to remove the DME box, just used a long metal wire, bent its end, wrapped it with electric tape and jiggled it through, it came out inside the car as in the pics,
next i just wrapped the USB cable onto the wire, pulled it from inside the car, and now i have the USB inside

Thank you for this usefull guide! without the pics i would not have figured where the hole is in the firewall!

for the guy above me,
i didnt take out anything from the DME box, i also used the upper hole, bent a wire to about 30 degree angle, wrapped in electric tape and with patience and some old stereo installation skilles the wire just went in
the light angle helped it slip in the hole, nothing is in the way once its in the hole, it just pops up inside the car right where its pictured

135i N55 / KW V3 / CP-E charge pipe / CP-E 5" DP / CP-E 7" FMIC / JB4 S2 / MHD / K&N inbox / Custom made 3.25" catback / Tons of other mods
(#72)
Old

Car: 2011 335i X Drive
Default 04-19-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsooba
did it on my 135 n55 yesterday!
didnt bother to remove the DME box, just used a long metal wire, bent its end, wrapped it with electric tape and jiggled it through, it came out inside the car as in the pics,
next i just wrapped the USB cable onto the wire, pulled it from inside the car, and now i have the USB inside

Thank you for this usefull guide! without the pics i would not have figured where the hole is in the firewall!

for the guy above me,
i didnt take out anything from the DME box, i also used the upper hole, bent a wire to about 30 degree angle, wrapped in electric tape and with patience and some old stereo installation skilles the wire just went in
the light angle helped it slip in the hole, nothing is in the way once its in the hole, it just pops up inside the car right where its pictured
Ah i see you had the same problem I did. I gave up about 5 mins into that hole. decided it would be easier to make my own hole from the bottom and fish it through with a coat hanger and some electrical tape!

2018 C43 AMG Black/Black
JB1 Map 2
Full 20% Tints All-Around
Custom Front-License Plate
Check my YouTube [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8K...as=subscriber] Channel for more
(#73)
Old

Car: 135i N55 DCT
Default 04-19-2013, 11:57 AM

LOL
i just looked at it and said no way im d\c all these wires now
so i just poped in the wire
was pretty effortless, aside the fact that i banged my head on the hood because its so close over there to put my eyes in :P

135i N55 / KW V3 / CP-E charge pipe / CP-E 5" DP / CP-E 7" FMIC / JB4 S2 / MHD / K&N inbox / Custom made 3.25" catback / Tons of other mods
(#74)
Old

Car: 2012 335i F30
Send a message via Yahoo to Jacko
Default 05-12-2013, 03:44 PM

I have a 2012 335i F30 does anyone know how to run the USB cord through the fire wall on this car with out drilling a hole to put it through? I just got it installed and trying to figure it out. I find the directions for the install not good. I'm still trying to figure out what I need to do to use my lap top to see if its hooked up correct or doing what its suppose to be doing. What is the HEX program for? I tried to down load it to my computer and it doesn't have a way to open it up. PITA!!!!
(#75)
Old
Tuner

Car: 2009 335i AT
Cool 05-13-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko
What is the HEX program for? I tried to down load it to my computer and it doesn't have a way to open it up. PITA!!!!
The hex program is the code that the JB4 unit actually runs.

Load up the interface program into a file of your choosing and un zip it.

Open the unzipped folder and review the "read_me_first.txt" and "port_setup_directions.jpg" files.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.