N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 135i e82 n54 MT
Default Are my injectors leaky - 10-05-2020, 11:59 AM

Hi n54 gang,

before throwing money out on new injectors just wanted to make sure if I have leaky injectors.

Symptoms:
- Hiccups at idle.
- Cold start puff of black smoke.
- Smell of gas from exhaust (non catalytic d p s are fitted so this might not be indication)
- Irregular idle (not noticeable but some small shakiness and rpm increase 600-680 interval)
- Sometimes under heavy acceleration I feel a hiccup(small time frame hesitation) at around 2000-3000 rpms.

I know this might indicate a-lot other things BUT there might be clear tell signs:
- cyl 1 & 2 spark plugs thread is way more blacker than others.
- cyl 1 & 2 spark plugs had some smell of gas (both dry, not wet) car was siting overnight around 24 hours.

Spark plug photos left to right starting cyl 1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vrgm93lcxy...85715.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j3t1cva66m...85734.jpg?dl=0

I bought a car not so long ago (1 month) but this started to happen couple of weeks ago.

Dude before me replaced two injectors already to index 12. Other injectors (including cyl1 and cyl2 that I suspect of leaking) are index11's

No misfire codes or any other codes.

Last edited by shady; 10-05-2020 at 01:30 PM..
(#2)
Old

Car: e92 n54 pre lci
Default 10-08-2020, 07:25 AM

Your spark plugs actually don't look too bad. How old are your coil packs? Are you getting any blowby (oil/gas) coming out of your exhaust?

FBO MT N54 w/stock turbos-tuned by Trebila
(#3)
Old

Default 10-10-2020, 08:32 AM

Spark plugs were changed 2400~ km ago. Coil packs look old, they even have 3 different colours and brandings... I think it's the only thing previous owner cheaped'out on. They seemed to be old... How does one measure it's blow by? I don't think oil going back to cylinders is the problem since I have catch can installed. I don't have any smoke other than black puff sometimes on cold start.
(#4)
Old

Default 10-11-2020, 11:01 AM

I would change out your coil packs with new ones and try to avoid mix matching brands. Blowby is when you see black soot coming out of your exhaust tail ***** at idle and under load.

(#5)
Old

Default 10-11-2020, 11:34 AM

Oh, then no blow-by. It's probably good idea to change out coil packs to new ones. Im looking into precision race works ignition kit anyways... How about some smell of gas on spark plugs? They are not wet, just little smell. But that concerns me since injectors are notorious for failing...
(#6)
Old

Default 10-12-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeezul
I would change out your coil packs with new ones and try to avoid mix matching brands. Blowby is when you see black soot coming out of your exhaust tail ***** at idle and under load.
If you're smelling gas on your spark plugs then yes, they're leaking. How much? who knows. it could be minimal or enough to cause issues.