N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2011 335is
Default Boost drop in map 7 - 09-02-2020, 08:12 PM

Long time lurker here posting for the first time.

Just upgraded my lpfp to fuel-it stage 2, and loaded up with E60. After doing a few runs in map 5 which I've used exclusively since I got my jb4 about 4 years ago, I decided to try map7 since I now meet the requirements.

My map 5 runs looked good, boost right on target, but on map 7 it would never quite reach target, and start dropping pretty quick. My ff and wgdc were pretty separated. I set ff which had climbed to 140 or so down to 70, and reset octane, throttle, and lambda adaptations using the mhd app.

Those changes improved things, but I still see a big boost drop starting about 5500 rpm. I was going to mess with the duty bias but thought I should post here first.

Car is a 2011 335is, fbo, e85 bef, original stock turbos with 75k miles.

Afraid my wastegates are starting to go, but hopefully I'm just missing something in the logs.
(#2)
Old

Default 09-02-2020, 08:16 PM

Log file attached
Attached Files
File Type: csv P32_M7_R1_autolog_200902_190342.csv (10.9 KB, 24 views)
(#3)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 09-03-2020, 09:49 PM

I’m assuming you are stock inlets?

That looks pretty typical of a stock turbo, stock inlet car.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#4)
Old

Default 09-04-2020, 06:25 AM

Yes, stock inlets with BMS intake, and that makes sense now that you mention it. Inlets are next on my list, so time to pull the trigger there I suppose.

Should I bother with any duty bias tuning at this point, or no?
(#5)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-04-2020, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoIPNerd
Yes, stock inlets with BMS intake, and that makes sense now that you mention it. Inlets are next on my list, so time to pull the trigger there I suppose.

Should I bother with any duty bias tuning at this point, or no?
You can try tweaking it a bit up top, but monitor WGDC. Imo once you get into the upper 80s or so upping the duty bias wont help much.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#6)
Old

Default 09-04-2020, 08:53 PM

I'll play with it a little to get a feel for how it changes things. Ordered new inlets today and they're scheduled to be here on Sunday! Guess I know how I'm spending Labor day this year.

Thanks for the assist, Dave!

2011 335is E93 with DCT
JB4 G5 ISO * BMS DCI * VRSF 7.5" Competition FMIC * VRSF dp's * VRSF Chargepipe * VRSF Inlets * Forge Motorsports Diverter Valves * Fuel-it Stage 2 Bucketless LPFP * Fuel-it Flex fuel kit * RB Turbo External PCV w/ plugged headports and Mishimoto OCC * NGK 2-Step Colder Plugs * MHD E85 BEF
(#7)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-05-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
I'll play with it a little to get a feel for how it changes things. Ordered new inlets today and they're scheduled to be here on Sunday! Guess I know how I'm spending Labor day this year.

Thanks for the assist, Dave!
Sounds like a decent weekend.

Post inlet install, throw up a log in map 1, with your duty bias settings at default (50 across board).

Will make sure all looks okay & we can start turning it back up

Burger Motorsports

(#8)
Old

Default 09-15-2020, 05:37 PM

Finally got my inlets installed. That rear one was a real pain, but it's on.

Here's a log in Map 1, but I forgot to reset my duty bias down on the upper rpms. Looks like it tracks pretty well, though.
Attached Files
File Type: csv P32_M1_R1_autolog_200915_180857.csv (8.8 KB, 13 views)

2011 335is E93 with DCT
JB4 G5 ISO * BMS DCI * VRSF 7.5" Competition FMIC * VRSF dp's * VRSF Chargepipe * VRSF Inlets * Forge Motorsports Diverter Valves * Fuel-it Stage 2 Bucketless LPFP * Fuel-it Flex fuel kit * RB Turbo External PCV w/ plugged headports and Mishimoto OCC * NGK 2-Step Colder Plugs * MHD E85 BEF
(#9)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-16-2020, 10:18 PM

Overall this looks solid.

Some minor timing corrections, but doesn’t look too bad.

LPFP looks to dip into the high 50s, you’ll want to monitor that

Burger Motorsports

(#10)
Old

Default 09-17-2020, 06:45 AM

Odd. I just upgraded my LPFP to the fuel-it stage 2 bucketless with the 450. Shouldn't it be able to handle this amount of ethanol (about E60)?

2011 335is E93 with DCT
(#11)
Old

Default 09-17-2020, 07:01 AM

Maybe that was an anomaly. Here is a run I did in Map 7 a little later, and the FP L stays above 60 in what should be a more fuel intensive scenario.

I am still seeing the underboost at higher RPMs in Map 7, although it does look a little better than before the inlets. I have the wastegate adaptation turned on, and today FF has climbed to 97. Should I try tuning the DB without the adaptation?
Attached Files
File Type: csv P32_M7_R1_autolog_200915_182631.csv (9.5 KB, 12 views)

2011 335is E93 with DCT
(#12)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-17-2020, 06:13 PM

Up FOL to 80

Disable WG adaption, and drop the FF down to 70 or 80- then let's up your duty bias by 3, from 5.5k to redline.

Burger Motorsports

(#13)
Old

Default 09-28-2020, 04:35 PM

Here's a new log, with ff dropped and wg adaptation disabled. Wasn't sure what you meant by the duty bias setting, so I went up 3 for each 500 rpm over 5000. Anyway, everything looks pretty good to me except the increasing underboost as rpms climb.
Attached Files
File Type: csv P32_M7_R1_autolog_200927_094953.csv (11.5 KB, 9 views)

2011 335is E93 with DCT
(#14)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-29-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Here's a new log, with ff dropped and wg adaptation disabled. Wasn't sure what you meant by the duty bias setting, so I went up 3 for each 500 rpm over 5000. Anyway, everything looks pretty good to me except the increasing underboost as rpms climb.
I agree. Looks pretty clean.

The stock turbos aren't going to be able to hit that boost target, WGDC is pretty high.

Inlets may help a bit, but up top the stock turbos aren't super efficient.

Burger Motorsports

(#15)
Old

Default 09-29-2020, 12:37 PM

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Just put in the new inlets which was a minor improvement, but I guess my stock turbos are getting tired. Wastegates are rattling too, so may be about time for some RBs.

Thanks for the assist!

2011 335is E93 with DCT
(#16)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-03-2020, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Just put in the new inlets which was a minor improvement, but I guess my stock turbos are getting tired. Wastegates are rattling too, so may be about time for some RBs.

Thanks for the assist!
RB makes a really nice product.

I had his original stuff on my 335 back in 2013-ish, loved them.

Which ones were you considering?

Burger Motorsports

(#17)
Old

Default 10-11-2020, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave @ BMS/Fuel-It!
Which ones were you considering?
I am probably going to go all out with the game finishers. Those should easily meet my hp goals without a big single. Gonna have to save a bit tho.

2011 335is E93 with DCT