N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 E90 335i Sedan
Default 29E0 & 29E1, Rich - 06-26-2020, 10:35 AM

After installing my JB4 and JB4 BEF via MHD this past week, I am getting these two fuel mixture codes regularly, returning on next start or two after clearing. The OBD codes show them as Rich, not lean.

I have had the car for 2.5 years now. In that time, I have seen and cleared these codes twice I believe, and upon clearing they would stay off for almost a year each time. Since installing the flash and JB4, they have become daily.

See logs attached. I have one 3rd gear pull into 4th, one mashed throttle from cruise, and one cruise down to idle in park.

From my quick researching with issues surrounding the combination of these codes and running rich, it leans toward fuel or tune issues. I have seen mention of things such as Fuel Scalars and Low/High Trims, but having just installed this, I have not had the opportunity to learn how to read these logs and would appreciate help from the community to save time and error on my part.

Anything stick out?
Need different logs?
What needs to be checked?

Thanks in advance!
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 06-26-2020, 12:41 PM

Those codes pop when fuel trims max positive or negative for too long. In your case, negative.

What fuel are you using?

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 06-26-2020, 01:25 PM

Sorry, here are more details:

Standard Premium - 91+ octane
JB4 - G5_ISO_32_14; Map 4; Dash menu 4 set to 2 for BEF
BEF - 2/07/19 Map Release Pump_USA via MHD

Things done at same time as JB4 & BEF:
Walnut blasted
Reset Adaptations via JB4 after BEF (and b/c of walnut blast)
Dual Cone filters
RB External PCV
Intake Journals filled
Low side OCC
High side OCC
Diverters VTA and inlets capped
Flapper
Timing chain tensioner

I also just changed the alternator regulator as well while there, hence that code popping up I guess - which I will chase later.

March 2019:
Index 12 injectors, coded in
Eldor Coils
1-step colder NGK Iridium plugs
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-26-2020, 06:34 PM

Reset your o2s in MHD

Then drive for a day or so, see if the codes pop, and also monitor your fuel trims

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 07-10-2020, 05:33 PM

Reset adaptations via MHD. Did just as before, going 3-4 starts at first,l before codes popping up, then every 1-2 starts after each clearing via JB4 app.

New logs attached. First going onto the interstate down a ramp and cruising a bit, then exiting and stopping the log. Second 3rd great pull back of the exit ramp onto another highway. She trims stay 20-30 range, but taper quickly once hitting 3k-4k rpm+.

Trims stay close to each other, so it shouldn't be mechanical related to the injectors, correct?

What should I do at this point? Just keep clearing the codes and let it keep adapting? Remove the BEF?
Attached Files
File Type: csv P32_M4_R1_200710_181304.csv (204.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: csv P32_M4_R1_200710_181343.csv (11.2 KB, 41 views)
(#6)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-11-2020, 05:49 AM

Couple things jump out on the second log (even though it’s map 4/stock).

LPFP in the 50s - id replace or upgrade

Fuel mix- just 91? 93?

Trims- a bit all over / negative

Let’s see a log in map 1-2

Set your FOL to 90

Burger Motorsports

(#7)
Old

Default 07-22-2020, 06:03 AM

New logs attached. First set done on Map 1 with FOL at default 40; Second set on Map 1 with FOL at the suggested 90.

While changing the FOL this morning, I noticed that the Last Safety was 2 - AFR Lean. If the fuel is attempting to trim back severely, wouldn't it be a rich situation?

EDIT: Forgot to answer your octane question - confirmed it's 93 where I fuel up.
Attached Files
File Type: csv P32_M1_R1_200713_192915- FOL 40.csv (7.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: csv P32_M1_R1_200722_072303- FOL 90.csv (11.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: csv P32_M1_R1_200722_073048- FOL 90.csv (383.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: csv P32_M1_R1_200713_083532 - FOL 40.csv (359.7 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by NashN54; 07-22-2020 at 06:42 AM..
(#8)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-22-2020, 08:46 PM

Let’s bring your FOL down to 60-70 and see where the trims fall

Burger Motorsports

(#9)
Old

Default 07-23-2020, 10:29 AM

Here' s logs with FOL at 60, which seems worse than at FOL 90 when cruising.

EDIT: Went to change FOL to 70 and the setting had automatically adjusted down to 43. I know it was at 60 beforehand, as I checked again before posting the logs.
Attached Files
File Type: csv P32_M1_R1_200723_073557 - FOL 60.csv (458.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: csv P32_M1_R1_200723_114411 - FOL 60.csv (14.7 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by NashN54; 07-23-2020 at 04:23 PM..
(#10)
Old

Default 07-30-2020, 01:06 PM

Logs at FOL set to 70. Like with FOL 60, it seems the trims want and stay in the 20-30's.
Attached Files
File Type: csv P32_M1_R1_200729_191002 - FOL 70.csv (17.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: csv P32_M1_R1_200729_191714 - FOL 70.csv (389.9 KB, 23 views)
(#11)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-30-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashN54
Logs at FOL set to 70. Like with FOL 60, it seems the trims want and stay in the 20-30's.
Staying in the 20's and 30's is ideal...

When you see trims in the 40's or 50 (max) or single digits / 0 = maxing aka no bueno.

20s/30s is good.

Burger Motorsports

(#12)
Old

Default 08-05-2020, 07:54 AM

So what do we think is going on then given the below items?

1) It's throwing simultaneous bank 1 & 2 rich codes
2) It didn't do the above until the JB4 BEF was done
3) Trims are in range, but seem to bounce around a lot
4) The last fail in my JB4 was due to lean conditions - which contradicts the codes, correct?
Attached Images

Last edited by NashN54; 08-05-2020 at 07:59 AM..
(#13)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 08-05-2020, 08:30 AM

Current log?

Burger Motorsports

(#14)
Old

Default 08-05-2020, 08:50 AM

Most current are the last ones above you had me do on Map 1 with FOL at 60 and 70.

Tell me what would you like to see this time and I will get new ones though. Although the root issue, the codes, have occurred consistently so far no matter what Map and FOL.
(#15)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 08-05-2020, 04:15 PM

I’m inclined to think your o2s are the culprit.

Burger Motorsports

(#16)
Old

Default 09-08-2020, 11:49 AM

Replaced all 4 oxygen sensors and installed a 3.5bar sensor(on my future upgrades prep list anyways). Same problem, including after resetting Lamdas via MHD.

In further research, past those sensors, the common theme is the flash tune is culprit...

Where do we go from here?
(#17)
Old

Default 09-28-2020, 10:23 AM

With no response, took it upon myself to remove the flash.

Used MHD to flash back to stock(not removal). A week and many, many start/stops later, no codes present nor stored.

When reviewing the files I downloaded for the 02/07/19 release, I noticed that the Pump_USA file is an older date than the rest. What's up with that? Is this where the issues lies, with the wrong file released in the package?

I guess I will give it a little more time to be sure, then try the standard Pump file, which I am sure most all run anyways.
Attached Images

Last edited by NashN54; 09-28-2020 at 10:31 AM..
(#18)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-29-2020, 12:14 PM

With all 4 new o2 sensors, I'd do an o2 reset via MHD

and flash the PUMP flash.

Just make sure your JB4 is set to 4/2 after you reflash the BEF

Burger Motorsports

(#19)
Old

Default Yesterday, 08:42 PM

Same problem running on the Pump flash, but it goes 4-6 key cycles between codes instead of 2-3 key cycles on Pump_USA flash.

Any suggestions?