N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2017 Ford Raptor
Default JB4 module shorting out? - 06-10-2020, 08:08 PM

I've had the JB4 in my raptor for over a year now but it's recently been giving me issues with acceleration and idling. Hard acceleration puts the truck into limp mode and I have to pull over and restart the truck. I had been running map 1 but I noticed when monitoring today that the Map jumped from 1 to 7, to 0, to 1 and then 7 again.

I managed to get the truck home and opened the hood and heard a buzzing coming from the box. I'm not taking any more chances with it so I removed it for now.

I'm assuming I'm way out of warranty but is there a service department or anything that could troubleshoot what's going on with the box? Or am I left with an expensive brick?

Appreciate any help I can get.
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-11-2020, 10:02 AM

The JB4 is solid state so nothing inside the box can buzz.

First step is to read fault codes via the JB4 app and see what might be going on. Sending a photo of the JB4 board inside the box would also be useful. For support email support@burgertuning.com

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default Follow up - 06-15-2020, 08:19 AM

Terry,
I should have been more specific, I said buzzing but it sounded like arcing.I cant see any burns on the board after opening it though (pics attached).

I recreated the error again and recorded it on the logs. Is giving me a 0303 (cylinder 3 misfire?)

It does not do this when I don't have the JB4 connected. Any ideas?
Attached Files
File Type: csv P22_M1_R2_200614_1411.csv (378.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: csv P22_M1_R1_200614_1248.csv (347.0 KB, 61 views)
(#4)
Old

Default Follow up - 06-15-2020, 08:20 AM

Pictures
(#5)
Old

Default Pictures - 06-15-2020, 08:23 AM

Pictures attached
(#6)
Old

Default Pictures try 3 - 06-15-2020, 08:33 AM

Pictures try 3
(#7)
Old

Default pics last try - 06-15-2020, 08:44 AM

last try
Attached Images

(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-15-2020, 08:54 AM

Board looks good as expected.

Misfire codes are usually caused by a faulty plug, coil, or injector. No signs of knock in your log. Fuel, boost, and timing all look normal. So it might be as simple as being time for a plug change or at a minimum to lower the plug gap. Once a misfire is triggered that cyl will shut off until you restart the car.

On the log you're also only going half throttle so a longer run at full throttle would be useful also just to confirm no issues.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#9)
Old

Default 06-15-2020, 04:58 PM

Thank you for looking at the data. Do you have a recommended gap for raptors running the JB4? It's the only mod I'm running.
(#10)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-15-2020, 05:33 PM

Around 0.022 is what we suggest in most cases. Our development Raptor had a fuel injector go out once. Would misfire at higher boost levels... Dealer swapped it out under warranty.

Burger Motorsports