N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Banned

Car: renualt
Default Opinions on a C250 as a first Mercedes model? - 05-14-2020, 11:06 PM

I'm looking to get some sort of nice car, and the "one year old" C250s seem to be well in my price range with low to no mileage. Would that be a good entry into the Mercedes product line?

I'm sure this question gets posted all the time, but people generally talk about the maintenance costs on nicer cars. Are they generally reliable? Is there any specific work that would need to be done periodically that's different than your average American sedan?

Thanks for your help!
(#2)
Old
Banned

Car: renualt
Default 05-15-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarancepil7
I'm looking to get some sort of nice car, and the "one year old" C250s seem to be well in my price range with low to no mileage. Would that be a good entry into the Mercedes product line?

I'm sure this question gets posted all the time, but people generally talk about the maintenance costs on nicer cars. Are they generally reliable? Is there any specific work that would need to be tweakbox appvalley https://vlc.onl/done periodically that's different than your average American sedan?

Thanks for your help!

isssue got solved!!!!
(#3)
Old
Anti-Social

Car: 2017 X3 xDrive35i
Default 05-16-2020, 05:06 PM

I never recommend buying German as something you can just barely afford. Maintenance and repair costs add up on a hurry. Mercedes is far worse than BMW or Audi because parts are more expensive, and generally so is labor.
A one year old car should still be covered by the factory warranty though. Just planning on getting rid of it when that warranty expires (which is another reason I don't recommend buying luxury cars. Who wants to spend big bucks every 4 years?).
I would highly recommend your first foray into the world of German cars be a lease. That way you pay for the use, and you give it back. Almost everything is covered for the entire time you have it, so no extra expenses besides gas and tires. No worries about repairs or the massive depreciation.

Mike Levy
2021 Tanzanite Blue II M550i - Due at dealer 10/9
2018 Silver Equinox LT 2.0T
(#4)
Old

Car: X5M
Default 05-17-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L
I never recommend buying German as something you can just barely afford.
Not true. My buddy is going balls out on his next one, he even said he'll eat ramen if he has to.

Quote:
Who wants to spend big bucks every 4 years?
I wonder the same thing with people who lease a BMW with a $700 payment and $15k+ down. I think $40k def classifies as "big bucks every 4 years"

Quote:
No extra expenses. No worries about repairs
Not true again. That very same buddy earlier mentioned above had to pay on both for repairs on both of his leases.

(#5)
Old
Anti-Social

Car: 2017 X3 xDrive35i
Default 05-17-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdownX5M
Not true. My buddy is going balls out on his next one, he even said he'll eat ramen if he has to.
Iím sure heís nowhere near eating ramen. Heís only saying that as a hyperbole.

Quote:
I wonder the same thing with people who lease a BMW with a $700 payment and $15k+ down. I think $40k def classifies as "big bucks every 4 years"
$40k isnít $70k+. You can buy a Honda or Toyota and spend $40k every few years.

Quote:
Not true again. That very same buddy earlier mentioned above had to pay on both for repairs on both of his leases.
Mustíve been wear items that werenít covered under the maintenance coverage. Tires, wipers, etc.

Mike Levy
2021 Tanzanite Blue II M550i - Due at dealer 10/9
2018 Silver Equinox LT 2.0T
(#6)
Old

Car: X5M
Default 05-17-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Iím sure heís nowhere near eating ramen. Heís only saying that as a hyperbole.
Clearly he smartened up and listened to reason by maxing out the MSD's to drop the MF and lower the monthly payment

Quote:
$40k isnít $70k+. You can buy a Honda or Toyota and spend $40k every few years.
I bought a Toyota TRD Pro and spent $40k every few years, but I was also getting my whole purchase price back plus profit, so...

Quote:
Mustíve been wear items that werenít covered under the maintenance coverage. Tires, wipers, etc.
No, my buddy thought he was hot **** modifying his car putting on a piggyback and intake kit. It threw a code and he took it to the dealer because of the whole
Quote:
No extra expenses. No worries about repairs
The dealer bent him over for about $200 and forced him to go back to stock. That's even after all the **** talking he does, SEMA this, SEMA that, MMW Act here, MMW Act there. But he pussied out and instead of practicing what he preaches for 30 years.

(#7)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 06-02-2020, 10:05 AM

OK. I'd say your buddy may not be the best role model for car purchasing, ownership and maintenance then lol

2017 AMG C63 - JB4 - 11.69 @ 127 (dragy)
2009 BMW 535i - 548 whp - sold