N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2014 335i M-Sport
Default JB4 Firmware Update Fail - 02-28-2020, 08:18 AM

I need help updating the JB4 frimware. I tried both via blue tooth and using my serial to USB cable with no luck. The JB4 will not communicate with com port and firmware update bombs while trying to use the blue tooth connect kit. My car wont start now and I had it towed to a shop. I am about to rip this thing out of my car so I can start my car and continue with my life. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Attached Images

2018 C63s AMG
JB4 E30, Pedal Tuner
(#2)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-28-2020, 10:57 AM

Sorry to hear about the headaches. A little info would have saved you a lot of time and the tow. To start the BMS data cable is a proprietary cable with different wiring than usual DB9 data cables. Only a BMS data cable can be used for the windows software. You can't just plug in any cable that looks like it might fit as it has no chance of working and may damage the JB4 electronics.

Hopefully that isn't the case here. Put back the JB4 mobile adapter. When you connect via JB4 mobile it should recognize there is no firmware and prompt you to load it.

Since you clearly have a signal strength issue for updates make sure ignition is fully on (all lights showing in dash), phone wifi is off, upload time out changed to 25, and phone sitting close to JB4 system under the hood. That usually does the trick.

Did you see the JB4 mobile FAQ for firmware updates? https://jb4connectkit.com/troubleshooting/

PS. Next app revision will have more detailed troubleshooting information on firmware updates within the app.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#3)
Old

Default 02-28-2020, 05:42 PM

Thanks Terry. After several tries with your suggestions above. The firmware write to the JB4 was successful. The car started right up. Is there a reason the C63 JB4 wont clear codes and quench the CEL? That wasn't an issue on my N55.

2018 C63s AMG
JB4 E30, Pedal Tuner
(#4)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-29-2020, 04:58 PM

You mean passive delete? Outside the USA that option can be selected. If there is an active problem usually codes won't delete so it depends what the code is specifically.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Default 02-29-2020, 05:46 PM

Thanks Terry. So after the firmware update, certain gauges stopped working. The needles are simply frozen and don't display data. The boost and the map selection display seem to be the only I can get to work. Please advise.
Attached Images

2018 C63s AMG
JB4 E30, Pedal Tuner
(#6)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-01-2020, 04:24 PM

OBDII cable loose it sounds like?

Burger Motorsports

(#7)
Old

Default 03-01-2020, 04:45 PM

Re-seated the ODBII connector. The needles came back to life. All is well again. Thanks.

2018 C63s AMG
JB4 E30, Pedal Tuner
(#8)
Old

Default 03-01-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
You mean passive delete? Outside the USA that option can be selected. If there is an active problem usually codes won't delete so it depends what the code is specifically.
Here is screen shot of the codes I was trying to clear. This is what prompted my trying to update the JB4 firmware. The codes did not clear at the time and the CEL stayed illuminated.
Attached Images

2018 C63s AMG
JB4 E30, Pedal Tuner
(#9)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-01-2020, 06:42 PM

Codes seem to point to a vacuum leak of some sort. To clear codes ign on, engine off, usually.

Burger Motorsports

(#10)
Old

Car: G20 330i, F25 X3, B9 SQ5, C7.5 A7
Default 03-26-2020, 03:38 PM

Totally OT but if the Jb4 firmware fails to load onto the jb4 for some reason and prevents the car from starting, wont removing the jb4 completely from the car revert the car back to stock and start again? Or will the car still not start after the jb4 unit has been removed from the car?

Current:
2020 BMW 330i xDrive
2018 Audi SQ5 Prestige
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
2016 BMW X3 xDrive28i
(#11)
Old
Tuner

Default 03-27-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ
Totally OT but if the Jb4 firmware fails to load onto the jb4 for some reason and prevents the car from starting, wont removing the jb4 completely from the car revert the car back to stock and start again? Or will the car still not start after the jb4 unit has been removed from the car?
Removing the JB4 would revert the car to factory operation.

Burger Motorsports

(#12)
Old

Car: G20 330i, F25 X3, B9 SQ5, C7.5 A7
Default 03-28-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Removing the JB4 would revert the car to factory operation.
Thank you very much. Thatís all I wanted to know

Current:
2020 BMW 330i xDrive
2018 Audi SQ5 Prestige
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
2016 BMW X3 xDrive28i
(#13)
Old

Car: 2017 c43 amg
Default 06-23-2020, 06:50 AM

To update the firmware, am I to have the car fully on (foot on brake and push start) , foot off the brake and push start once or foot off the brake and push start twice?
(#14)
Old
Tuner

Default 06-23-2020, 09:14 AM

All lights in dash, engine off... Engine sensors have to be powered up so JB4 can power up.

Burger Motorsports