N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
Go Back   N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion > General > DIY Modification
Reload this Page DIY: 'Setup 2' - Factory + Walbro Universal Inline Fuel Pump!

(#51)
Old
Legend

Car: '07 335i Sedan, Built & Blown '08 Mustang Bullitt
Default 07-01-2013, 03:43 PM

Unless you create a barbed connection where this DIY uses only a simple hose clamp on a smooth surface, I would stay away from this DIY. I took it all out and just run OEM with 40% - 45% E85. Not worth the risk on my daily driver.

2018 Audi RS3 | APR Stage 1 E85 and 91 Flashes | JB4 for Logging

SOLD: 2017 F36 440i Gran Coupe | PS2 | MPPSK | Track Handling Package | JB4

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PS2's | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

Log, log, then log some more...
(#52)
Old

Car: 535i
Default 07-01-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feshdogg
Unless you create a barbed connection where this DIY uses only a simple hose clamp on a smooth surface, I would stay away from this DIY. I took it all out and just run OEM with 40% - 45% E85. Not worth the risk on my daily driver.
I'm just a little stuck for fueling with the new RBs.

I can cloak that gap with Meth, but was hoping to hold at a good 50-60% e85 with sustained flow and not rely on Meth too much.

Right choice?

Cool stuff no longer installed.
(#53)
Old
Legend

Default 07-01-2013, 03:55 PM

It seems that whatever you want to do at this point for increasing fuel flow, you have to modify stuff and it's not that reliable anyway. I know some companies are offering some kit solutions now, but I think they're pretty pricey.

If this is a daily driver for you then I would honestly stay away from this DIY, or meth. I got sick of meth real quick after having to fill so damn frequently. You just have to weigh the pro's and con's.

SOLD: 2007 E90 335i | PS2's | JB4 | FBO | 160k+ miles on the car, 120k+ miles on the JB4

(#54)
Old

Car: 2008 135i AT
Send a message via Skype™ to OldBooster
Default 07-01-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
It seems that whatever you want to do at this point for increasing fuel flow, you have to modify stuff and it's not that reliable anyway. I know some companies are offering some kit solutions now, but I think they're pretty pricey.

If this is a daily driver for you then I would honestly stay away from this DIY, or meth. I got sick of meth real quick after having to fill so damn frequently. You just have to weigh the pro's and con's.
Yea, but goosing these cars for more power becomes an addiction, and even on daily drivers, if done correctly, you won[t have many problems. We goose happy drivers put up with a lot of crap bu forgive our babies because they offer so much gratification. With the JB4G5 Iso the only issues I've had are my fault, not the product. It all boils down to how much you want to go faster. If it doesn't matter to you, stay stock. Cheers!

Terry's unmatched dedication to the N54
Held #1 on www.DragTimes.com:
First to run 11.012 @129.30
(#55)
Old

Default 07-01-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBooster
Yea, but goosing these cars for more power becomes an addiction, and even on daily drivers, if done correctly, you won[t have many problems. We goose happy drivers put up with a lot of crap bu forgive our babies because they offer so much gratification. With the JB4G5 Iso the only issues I've had are my fault, not the product. It all boils down to how much you want to go faster. If it doesn't matter to you, stay stock. Cheers!
Yeah, I'm happy to tinker. It's my hobby. I just want to be see if I can at least be heading in the right direction for dismantling half of my car.

(#56)
Old
Tuner

Car: 135i
Default 07-02-2013, 03:58 AM

I can't help you with the 535 pump assembly as I've never seen one. However, here is my recommendation for the inline option that should be very robust!

I hope Steve (Feshdog) doesn't mind I used his excellent pictures.
Attached Images

Click on our banner to visit our website!
Video of our Stage 2 LPFP upgrade installation.

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#57)
Old

Default 07-02-2013, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoschadlin
Yeah, I'm happy to tinker. It's my hobby. I just want to be see if I can at least be heading in the right direction for dismantling half of my car.
Ha! I truly know what you mean. When my wife can't find me, she knows I am "under the hood". In my opinion, a little goes a long way as far as choosing your mods: don't add anything unless it gives you more than 20 HP ;o)

(#58)
Old
Legend

Default 07-03-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I totally agree. This car has by far been the easiest to modify, and for the least amount of money (at least for engine tuning). I love the car and tinkering with it, I just need to choose one for modding and one for a reliable backup. So I have to draw a line somewhere

(#59)
Old

Default 07-03-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
I totally agree. This car has by far been the easiest to modify, and for the least amount of money (at least for engine tuning). I love the car and tinkering with it, I just need to choose one for modding and one for a reliable backup. So I have to draw a line somewhere
I got to a point very recently where I was seriously considering getting a 3rd car (335i coupe) just to do crazy tinkering with. Still haven't completely ruled it out.

(#60)
Old

Default 07-03-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoschadlin
I got to a point very recently where I was seriously considering getting a 3rd car (335i coupe) just to do crazy tinkering with. Still haven't completely ruled it out.
Go for it. Life's too short! (especially at my age).

(#61)
Old

Default 07-03-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Go for it. Life's too short! (especially at my age).
I need to put you in touch with my wife to help convince her of the therapeutic benefits of modding.

(#62)
Old
Legend

Default 07-03-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ
I hope Steve (Feshdog) doesn't mind I used his excellent pictures.
Of course

(#63)
Old
Legend

Car: 2008 535i Sport
Send a message via Yahoo to Ocean
Default 07-04-2013, 05:45 AM

Steve,

I have ordered this pump and will install next week likely.
Thanks for the excellent instructions.
I am just unclear on one point. Can the in-line pump somehow be secured to the bucket? It comes with mounting brackets, but I don't see how we could use those with an in-tank install. Unless somehow it is done inside the tank. Couple of holes in the side of the bucket, connect with nuts and bolts. Is this feasible? I don't like the idea of the pump being unsecured and just flopping around. Makes it more likely that hoses pop off.
Thoughts?

Sleeper 5 series
Performance: Pro tuned MHD, xHP Stage 3 TCU flash, DCI, AR kittens, ER FMIC & CP, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP w ported rail, RB turbos, RB inlets, KW V2, Mfactory LSD
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 digital preamp, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, CIC iDrive upgrade
(#64)
Old

Default 07-04-2013, 05:50 AM

I believe some are using wire ties . drill two holes close together and thread the tie through them and secure the tank. But I'm not sure.

(#65)
Old

Default 07-04-2013, 05:51 AM

I mean secure the pump to the bucket.

(#66)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-04-2013, 05:18 PM

Okay...this is a crappy mock up with my stock backup bucket assembly but it'll help illustrate...(sorry, didn't have an extra length of fuel line sitting around)

You can see in the picture where I used the stock fitting to the stock lpfp. I disconnected the orange fuel line from it and connected the submersible line to it with a crimp clamp. This creates a secure connection and with the 90 degree fitting and the 90 degree fitting on the Walbro it keeps everything neat and doesn't put any strain on the fuel line creating possible kinks. Between the fuel line connection, the power wires, and the orange fuel line connection there is no need to secure the Walbro...it's not going anywhere as there is no need to put extended fuel lines or power wires on there.

Hope that makes sense.
Attached Images

BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways.
(#67)
Old
Legend

Default 07-08-2013, 09:30 AM

^^^ +1 on not needing to secure the Walbro. Whatever you do, don't try to secure it to the fuel tank by drilling holes in it!

(#68)
Old
Legend

Default 07-08-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
^^^ +1 on not needing to secure the Walbro. Whatever you do, don't try to secure it to the fuel tank by drilling holes in it!
Why? Isn't there a higher likelihood that a connector can pop off if the pump is flexing around under different pressures?
That's the problem people had with the Venturi valve, hoses were coming off.
I just want a simple, clean install where I don't need to worry about issues like that. Last thing I want is to be stranded somewhere and messing around in the fuel tank.
What about zip tying it to the bucket?

Sleeper 5 series
Performance: Pro tuned MHD, xHP Stage 3 TCU flash, DCI, AR kittens, ER FMIC & CP, Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP w ported rail, RB turbos, RB inlets, KW V2, Mfactory LSD
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 digital preamp, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, CIC iDrive upgrade
(#69)
Old
Legend

Default 07-08-2013, 10:09 AM

In my opinion, I would worry about the line pressure a lot more than securing anything. 72 PSI is kind of a lot when you think about it. When my hose came apart, I was cruising in a straight line under WOT in 4th gear up a hill. There is no way the line popped off because the Walbro was moving around.

Again, I'm not really comfortable with anything other than factory-like connections that actually lock. Just my opinion.

(#70)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-08-2013, 05:33 PM

Problem with trying to put a zip tie around the bucket (and one around the walbro) is that it will interfere with your float, as that side of the bucket is flat. I suppose you could make it work...didn't think it was necessary though

Using the fractory connection to the stock pump like I suggested in combination with the short section of submersable fuel line that is just making a gradual arch to the 90 at the inline pump secured with crimp clamps will do the job. Cut your fuel line to a length that allows the pump to sit flat on the floor of the fuel tank and nothing more. I have thrown a lot at that method to test various aspects of the fueling system...I have yet to blow off a line....blow up a line...that's a differerent story...and has nothing to do with this.

I would NOT suggest using the 450 pump and the inline...just to clarify.

As for the venturi...people are using too big of clamps...I blew my venturi to pieces...the hose never came off

(#71)
Old
Legend

Default 07-08-2013, 06:54 PM

Alright Steve,

You are my guide and mentor on this little project.
You've probably spent more time on these fuel pump issues than the guys who designed the system! It's just the in-line with the stock pump, have no fear.

Sleeper 5 series
(#72)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-08-2013, 07:33 PM

...no pressure!

(#73)
Old
boom

Car: BMW
Default 07-11-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ
...no pressure!
Steve, would I find those 90 degree fittings at a home improvement/plumbing supply store? Going to ditch the filter and extra line and set it up the way you've shown.

2011 335i m-sport
2008 335xi (Sold)
(#74)
Old
Tuner

Default 07-11-2013, 08:11 PM

Not likely...I get them from the Parker store. HD and Lowe's are typically just standard...no metric.

(#75)
Old

Car: e90 335, e39 m5
Default 07-19-2013, 01:27 PM

just curious ; why are we ditching the filter on the end?

- dan
- www.dkfxphotography.com <-- cars
- www.dankinzie.com <-- weddings