N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Tuner

Default JB4 nitrous wiring DIY - 05-05-2011, 02:55 PM

*** NOTE THIS WAS FOR G4 BOARD. WIRING IS OBSOLETE WITH G5 BOARD ***

Hey guys,

I've gotten a couple questions on setting up N54 nitrous with the JB4 so I figured it makes more sense to just post the diagram and leave it in the DIY section.

Please note that nitrous use is not for anyone who is concerned about engine life. It's also not for anyone who can't afford a complete motor and/or transmission rebuild. It's intended for those who understand the risks and despite them are looking to go as fast as possible at the dragstrip.

Having said that you won't run very fast if your transmission takes a dump at the starting line or if your motor lets go half way down the track. So we've added integration to the JB4 to make nitrous as easy to use and safe as possible. When the conditions are met and the external output is high the JB4 logging software will report map 20 (which is an imaginary map) as an indication that nitrous is flowing. When you exit out of the window it will go back to reporting your selected map number.

You'll have to use your own judgment, analysis, and ability to set the proper values in these fields. Feel free to discuss in this thread what has been working for you and what has not been working for you. The defaults shown are a good starting point. We also suggest not going over a 35 jet.

Note the external output can also be used to trigger a meth pump or any other device you want to operate within some or all of the optional parameters.
Attached Images

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#2)
Old
Turbo Lover

Car: 300zx TT, 1M
Send a message via Skype™ to SlicktopTTZ
Default 05-05-2011, 03:18 PM

Awesome. The JB4 has so much integration for controls for so little $$$. Great work T!

(#3)
Old
N54TECH FTMFW

Car: E92 335i
Default 05-05-2011, 03:28 PM

There are so many safety parameters built in! wow....what a bargain!
(#4)
Old
HP addict

Car: 09 E92 335
Default 05-05-2011, 04:13 PM

This setup works very well. I've been running the JB4 control for around two months with no issues other than my main solenoid dying at Famoso. This was no fault of the JB4 however.

Used to be JB4. Next BMW will be Burger too.
(#5)
Old
ElevenPointFive

Car: 2009 135i
Default 05-05-2011, 05:36 PM

I must admit, I am entirely too intrigued at running nitrous this summer to take a shot at a 10 second pass.

2007 Porsche 997 Turbo - 6MT - Midnight Blue
Cobb Stage 1

2008 E90 335xi - AT - TSM
MHD Stage 2+ ~ BMS Intake ~ AMS FMIC ~ CPE
(#6)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-05-2011, 05:38 PM

Being at 11.5s already you could get there!

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old
ElevenPointFive

Car: 2009 135i
Default 05-05-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Being at 11.5s already you could get there!
Indeed, and that was with a 1.75 60' so there is still room to go on my current setup. Damn, decisions decisions.

2007 Porsche 997 Turbo - 6MT - Midnight Blue
Cobb Stage 1

2008 E90 335xi - AT - TSM
MHD Stage 2+ ~ BMS Intake ~ AMS FMIC ~ CPE
(#8)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-05-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR335
This setup works very well. I've been running the JB4 control for around two months with no issues other than my main solenoid dying at Famoso. This was no fault of the JB4 however.
The second time also? Famoso is just bad luck for everyone lately. I'm thinking of taking the N55 back up on the 14th for their Friday night TNT. Wait around all night and maybe get 3 runs in 70 degree temps. Can't wait.

Burger Motorsports

(#9)
Old

Car: 2008 Cashmere Silver 135i
Default 05-05-2011, 06:31 PM

I think you need to flip the graphic for the relay.
The relay coil should go from the +12V to the wire that runs to the collector of the transistor. The graphic shows the relay contact there.
(#10)
Old
HP addict

Car: 09 E92 335
Default 05-05-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBMW
I think you need to flip the graphic for the relay.
The relay coil should go from the +12V to the wire that runs to the collector of the transistor. The graphic shows the relay contact there.
The ground path is being switched with the transistor, not the +12 V.

Used to be JB4. Next BMW will be Burger too.
(#11)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-05-2011, 07:25 PM

+1, transistor lets current flow from the relay to ground.

Burger Motorsports

(#12)
Old

Car: 335
Default 05-06-2011, 03:25 PM

This is what I mean...Terry you are the man...Just give what people want and put a disclaimer on to protect your company, but at least offer this solution to the crazy people wanting to use nitrous...You are slowly winning me over!
(#13)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-06-2011, 04:33 PM

Heh we do what we can to keep everyone happy. The key is we do all of this stuff in house. So it's just a matter of myself or Jon grabbing a bunch of caffeine and sitting at the desk until whatever programming change we need to make is working right.

Burger Motorsports

(#14)
Old
Turbo Lover

Car: 300zx TT, 1M
Send a message via Skype™ to SlicktopTTZ
Default 05-06-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Heh we do what we can to keep everyone happy. The key is we do all of this stuff in house. So it's just a matter of myself or Jon grabbing a bunch of caffeine and sitting at the desk until whatever programming change we need to make is working right.
Terry, this may be the wrong place to ask, but how difficult would it be to get some JB4 or CAN data to be displayed on a custom iDrive menu?

I understand it probably won't happen, or at least any time soon, but is it "do-able"?

(#15)
Old

Car: 335i Rocket
Default 05-17-2011, 01:45 PM

question, you have meth pump under the relay, are you saying you can run meth kit off of this set up with jb4?
(#16)
Old

Car: 335i -07 MT
Default 05-17-2011, 02:29 PM

Good work Terry with JB4 and the N2O support
(#17)
Old
Tuner

Default 05-17-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastSancho335
question, you have meth pump under the relay, are you saying you can run meth kit off of this set up with jb4?
Sure. Any high current motor/solenoid.

Burger Motorsports

(#18)
Old
sehr schnelles Auto

Car: 335i
Default 05-25-2011, 01:54 PM

Can anyone share a pic on how to properly solder the little transistor? I'm still confused after looking at the diagram don't know how to do this without interrupting the use of the tuning cable. I'm about to start Nitrous integration to share my experience. Also feedback on where to solder the additional resistor will be much appreciated!

KDT
(#19)
Old

Default 09-30-2011, 07:16 AM

Hey guys been doing some reading on doing a nitrous addition to the car. Just need to know what else i would need beside a NX dry kit. I've already got intake, dp's, exhaust, JB4, and meth kit. Will i need anything else besides the nitrous kit itself? I was looking at getting this kit http://www.nitrousexpress.com/produc...ls.php?id=1499 or do i need to run something different. From my understading i would go with dry kit and then be using the JB4 as the controller and the meth as the fuel additive. Or JB4 as controller and fuel controller?
(#20)
Old

Car: 335i -07 MT
Default 11-16-2011, 01:48 PM

I think the drawing in OP is wrong. It should be like this, right Terry?
Attached Images

(#21)
Old
Tuner

Default 11-16-2011, 08:02 PM

Yes, the NPN transistor is used to ground the relay coil.

Burger Motorsports

(#22)
Old

Car: Bee em DUbs
Default 11-18-2011, 03:35 PM

Any pictures of nozzle placement? And confirming that dry is the best way to spray.
(#23)
Old

Car: 07 335
Default 11-20-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1000K3
I think the drawing in OP is wrong. It should be like this, right Terry?
refer to post #10 with regards to the relay direction.
(#24)
Old

Car: 07 335
Default 11-20-2011, 08:23 AM

Does anyone actually runing nitrous have any updates or recommendations to proper jb4 settings?

I was going to start with the default if no one has found something better through use.

Thanks!
(#25)
Old
sehr schnelles Auto

Default 11-21-2011, 02:37 PM

start with the defaults, remember to properly setup your meth as well and require meth to be at full flow when doing N2O. if you want some extra safety decrease the AFR value for N2O setting to 12.5 and use a CPS module along with the JB4 N2O integration.

To setup the CPS, just buy one at BMS, install it, do a non N2O Map 2 log using the CPS defaults and send it to Terry to start dialing the specific values for your car. The CPS defaults are not necessary what you will end up with, it is specific for your car and fuel quality of your area however it does provide some extra safety by not going too aggressive on advance with N2O.

KDT