N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335i
Default Running Rough at Startup - 09-24-2018, 02:48 PM

Hi, I'm new. I have a 2009 335i, 70K miles and I just installed a jb4 on Saturday. Yes, I did replace my plugs and coils at the same time. My test drive on Saturday went great and I was very happy with the results.

Until Sunday morning when I started the car after sitting overnight; the SES light came on and the engine was running extremely rough, almost unbearable. I read the codes through the jb4 mobile app and got:

2E18 Ignition, Normal 2STEP/NLS code
29CD Misfirings, cylinder 1

I looked at both codes in the fault code manual and they are associated with cylinder 1. Again, I did replace the plugs and coils when I installed the jb4.

After about 15 minutes of driving the engine started running normally, the codes cleared after I deleted them and the rest of the day was uneventful. Until today when I started it from cold and got the same rough engine operation and codes.

Do I have a bad coil? Or am I looking at something more serious?

I attached 2 logs that were captured during the rough operations. The first at idle speed, the second one during a slow acceleration. Any help or advice for a newbie is appreciated. Thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 2018-09-23 11_17_22.csv (15.6 KB, 76 views)
File Type: csv 2018-09-23 11_18_05.csv (38.4 KB, 77 views)
(#2)
Old

Car: 07 E90 335i
Default 09-24-2018, 03:21 PM

Try swapping the misfiring coil/plugs to another cylinder clear codes see if misfire moves to that cylinder

What brand plugs are you running? Gapped properly?

07 E90 AT - xHP
JB4 G5 - Trebila BEF
FBO
Hybrids
(#3)
Old

Car: 335i
Default 09-24-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynpunch
Try swapping the misfiring coil/plugs to another cylinder clear codes see if misfire moves to that cylinder

What brand plugs are you running? Gapped properly?
I bought the OEM Bosch plugs and coils, the gap was set when they came, I didn't change that.

I'll try the swap to cylinder 2 later in the week and see what that does.
(#4)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: E92 335XI
Default 09-24-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlarblue
I bought the OEM Bosch plugs and coils, the gap was set when they came, I didn't change that.

Easiest would be to swap that cyl 1 coil- see if it follows.

Pull the plug to after the car sits overnight, see if itís wet with gas- if yes you probably have a leaking fuel injector on at least cyl1

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#5)
Old

Car: 07 E90 335i
Default 09-24-2018, 11:43 PM

Quote:

OEM Bosch are hit or miss, most go with NGK 95770 gapped to .022 but to each their own
http://www.burgertuning.com/N54_BMW_...t_adapter.html

07 E90 AT - xHP
JB4 G5 - Trebila BEF
FBO
Hybrids
(#6)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-25-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:

I ran oem plugs on my prior xi @ 600 awhp for months.

Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#7)
Old

Car: 08 335xi
Default 09-26-2018, 08:57 AM

Prepare for new injectors

09 335 - 6266
07 335i - 6870, E85 - SOLD
08 335xi - 6466, custom direct port meth - SOLD
(#8)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-29-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan
Prepare for new injectors
Donít scare him LOL

But yeah, I suspect wet plugs

Burger Motorsports

(#9)
Old

Car: 08 BMW 335I Convertible
Default 10-17-2020, 06:06 PM

I have an 08 335I with 151K miles. I'm getting a 2E1B and a 29D0 cylinder 4 misfire code.

I was having a misfire on 6 but only after hitting 6500 rpms in 4th gear, so I replaced the coil because I just recently replaced the coils with some cheap ones from Amazon (Bosch but I think they're knock offs l... lesson learned there). After replacing the ignition coil on 6, I went ahead and installed a MHD backend flash to go with my JB4. After the flash, I started getting the codes. Is it possible that I did something with the flash.

A little more background:
I recently replaced fuel injectors in 4, 5, and 6 because the mosfets blew and took out the injectors. While I was at it, I replaced all the coils with new ones. I know they're cheap because I already had to replace cylinder 3's coil back with the old one because I was getting misfires with that cylinder.

My question is, should I flash back to stock first or replace the coil in cylinder 4 first. Do you think a setting in flash could've caused this? Or is it more likely that another POS coil needs to be replaced.

Thanks for the help...