N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2007 BMW 335i sedan FBO, MHD Stage 2+ tune, AT
Unhappy N54 running roughly - 10-11-2020, 06:03 PM

Hello!

To start, I have had a solid SES light on the dashboard since I purchased the car (40000 miles ago) but had not seemed to be an issue (not even remotely). I recently flashed my N54’s ECU with the the Stage 2+ tune in tandem with installation of upgraded VRSF charge pipe, VTTO inlets, and VRSF exhaust and the car has been running fine for about 2 days (aside from a coolant leak presenting itself right after installing said FBO parts at a private shop; whole other ordeal with the shop to deal with; thought to mention to get a comprehensive understanding of everything going wrong with the engine).

Today while driving the car, everything was running fine; no boost leaks, engine was really performing well; I was stopped at a red light then accelerated at the green light—SES light immediately started flashing when pressing the gas and the engine began running roughly from there on and corresponding choppy exhaust (the choppy exhaust sounded exactly like what was being produced when my injectors failed 2000 miles ago). I then drove it home about 1 mile and stopped the engine. Immediately started again, and engine is still running roughly. I thought a diverter valve may have popped off due to turbo pressure but that was not the case—there does not seem to be a boost, or air (?) leak anywhere. I personally changed and properly coded new BMW index 12 injectors via INPA, changed spark plugs (1-step colder NGK) and corresponding ignition coils (Delphi) under 2000 miles ago. After doing some research, I found some forums mentioning failing O2 sensors as possible culprits. I would love to see what you all think may be the issue here. Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,
Andrew

Last edited by andrewhollands; 10-11-2020 at 06:22 PM..
(#2)
Old

Car: 2011 335is
Default 10-11-2020, 08:44 PM

What codes are presenting?

2011 335is E93 with DCT
JB4 G5 ISO * BMS DCI * VRSF 7.5" Competition FMIC * VRSF dp's * VRSF Chargepipe * VRSF Inlets * Forge Motorsports Diverter Valves * Fuel-it Stage 2 Bucketless LPFP * Fuel-it Flex fuel kit * RB Turbo External PCV w/ plugged headports and Mishimoto OCC * NGK 2-Step Colder Plugs * MHD E85 BEF
(#3)
Old

Default Codes presented after clearing codes, starting again - 10-11-2020, 08:50 PM

- DME active codes -
2A17 - DME: DMTL, system fault.
2C9C - DME: Oxygen sensor heater before catalytic converter: Activation.
2C9D - DME: Oxygen sensor heater 2 before catalytic converter: Activation.
2C9E - DME: Oxygen sensor heater after catalytic converter Activation.
2C9F - DME: Oxygen sensor heater 2 after catalytic converter: Activation.
2F71 - DME: Electronics-box fan, activation.
30BA - DME: Injectors 1, 2, 3 or DME, internal fault.

I've had the first 6 codes for over 40000 miles and have not seemed problematic to normal engine functioning. I just contacted MHD and they suggest the MSD80 has failed. I've seen people replace MOSFETS as a fix. As a best case scenario, I could replace the injectors at no cost with FCP Euro warranty but it seems it's not the injectors that are failing from what I've heard from others so far. Only reason I mention the injectors is due to apparent leakage on injectors in cylinders 2 and 3.
(#4)
Old

Car: 2011 335is
Default 10-11-2020, 09:32 PM

30BA is probably mosfet fail from what I've read on it, and it seems to be a common issue. That's a pretty inexpensive fix.

The o2 codes may be a blown fuse. Have you checked the o2 heater fuse in the dme box?

2011 335is E93 with DCT
JB4 G5 ISO * BMS DCI * VRSF 7.5" Competition FMIC * VRSF dp's * VRSF Chargepipe * VRSF Inlets * Forge Motorsports Diverter Valves * Fuel-it Stage 2 Bucketless LPFP * Fuel-it Flex fuel kit * RB Turbo External PCV w/ plugged headports and Mishimoto OCC * NGK 2-Step Colder Plugs * MHD E85 BEF
(#5)
Old

Default 10-12-2020, 01:52 PM

Thank you for your replies. I've read up some more on the MOFSET issue and I will be doing replacement of the 6 injector MOFSETs tomorrow. I have not checked the fuse in the ECU box but that is definitely something I will take a look at as well.
(#6)
Old

Car: 135I
Default 10-15-2020, 04:23 PM

bookmark - having the same issue. Interested to see how this is fixed.
(#7)
Old

Default 10-15-2020, 05:46 PM

Hey sbonomo! If your car was produced before 2009 with the N54 engine (135i, 335i, 535i) it is very likely that the MOSFETs on the MSD80 DME have failed. The MOSFETs located on the DME are what control the firings of the ignition coils. Vehicular DIY has a video explaining how this replacement can be done. It took me about an hour to do with the right tools, all costing under $80. The actual failed parts cost only $10. This video did solve the issue of my engine not running properly. Here’s a link to the video: I Fried My ECU This Can Happen To You As Well. | BMW N54 DIY - YouTube
Good luck!

Last edited by andrewhollands; 10-15-2020 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: typo in production year
(#8)
Old

Car: 135I
Default 10-16-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewhollands
Hey sbonomo! If your car was produced before 2009 with the N54 engine (135i, 335i, 535i) it is very likely that the MOSFETs on the MSD80 DME have failed. The MOSFETs located on the DME are what control the firings of the ignition coils. Vehicular DIY has a video explaining how this replacement can be done. It took me about an hour to do with the right tools, all costing under $80. The actual failed parts cost only $10. This video did solve the issue of my engine not running properly. Hereís a link to the video: I Fried My ECU This Can Happen To You As Well. | BMW N54 DIY - YouTube
Good luck!
Thanks for posting this, i have the 2009 so i need to do some additional research.
(#9)
Old

Default 10-16-2020, 11:21 AM

Yeah man no problem. If youíre getting the 30BA or 30BB code itís more than likely the MOSFETs failing. Itís best to replace all 6 MOSFETs if youíre going to replace any. All this applies if you have the MSD80 DME, not the MSD81 which was engineered partly to correct these issues. Youíll know which DME your engine has as soon as you unplug and remove the DME as MSD80 (or MSD81) is printed right on the metal DME enclosure. Hereís identification of each ignition coilís respective MOSFET: Ignition MOSFETs - Album on Imgur