N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
Go Back   N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion > General > DIY Modification
Reload this Page OHD style wireless Performance Steering Wheel 12V Source Help!

(#1)
Old

Car: guess...
Default OHD style wireless Performance Steering Wheel 12V Source Help! - 09-17-2020, 07:26 PM

I recently bought a new BMW Performance Steering Wheel(PSW). It's very cool, feels great and has the LED's and info display. It connects to OBD2 via wireless dongle(MAX M100 style). My problem is finding power. I only need ground and 'supposedly', 12V ACC according to the vendor. Well, there is no 12V+ in my wheel. BTW, it's a 2012 335ix, non-heated steering wheel but all the other function buttons. Using my DMM, I found the black 6-pin header has some 5V, left/right signal lines, the two shifter lines(up/down) and their ground, then the variable display LED power line which changes according to how bright you want your dash and steering wheel function buttons to illuminate in the dark.
For fun, I grabbed a 9V battery and connected it to the black and red leads going to the PSW display and it works well. I also grabbed a jumper box and it worked fine too. My conclusion is I can use almost any voltage for this to work, I just can't find a clean power source after the wheels' clock spring ring. Has anyone installed one of these before and how did you resolve this issue?
I didn't touch the airbag wires. I'm sure there's juice going to the two connectors but after watching enough Youtube videos, I'm not brave enough to check those lines. Any help would be appriciated.