N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 335ix
Default 335xi rod knock - 10-01-2016, 03:04 PM

I just purchased a 335xi 2008 130,000 miles. Has loud knock seems to be rod bearings please don't judge me what should my next step be I live in New York I have a Huge garage should I swap the motor change rod bearings etc. also is there a difference between real will drive and all wheel drive motors. Has automatic transmission what would be a good price to pay for a motor and also how muchshould labor cost me. Or a motor swap or rod bearing replacement or should I do it myself.
(#2)
Old

Car: 2008 Bmw 535i
Default 10-03-2016, 08:47 AM

Man, did you mean to buy it as a project car...But to answer your questions, the engine long blocks are the same from model to model so your best bet is finding a N54 long block that you can swap into your chassis. If you're familiar with doing engine swaps, have the time and space then I'd say go for it. Honestly, I wouldn't mess with trying to rebuild the one you have if it truly has spun a rod bearing. You can't just change the rod bearings and put it back together. The crank would need to be looked at, refinished, also if it spun a bearing then what else was hurt? You'd want to do a complete inspection on that engine if you're doing it right.

You can pick up decent mileage N54 long blocks for a few grand so unless you want to build something special I'd just stick with going with a swap. And do it yourself, if you're capable.

I'm probably reading a SAE Paper...or in the garage.
(#3)
Old

Car: 535ix
Default 10-08-2016, 05:55 AM

I would check the engine oil and filter. See if you have any metal particles. You could then pull the oil pan and check the crank bearings, inside of the oil pan and oil pump pick up screen.

if you do have metal bits in any of those areas the damage could be very expensive. Happened on an E36 we used to have and it took out the crank and a cam. Good luck.