N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#626)
Old

Car: B46 F56S
Default 11-30-2019, 01:53 PM

Terry.
BM3 supports B46/B48.
You think we can get some MINI Support and BEF for our cars?
(#627)
Old

Car: Mini F56 JCW
Default 01-25-2020, 08:52 AM

Afternoon all. I've just (this minute) picked up a JB4 to use on my B48 Mini. I've done some reading and still a bit unsure on some things. The jb4 came off a B58 BMW M140i and although it has the bluetooth adaptor, does not have the computer attachment. So to install the correct firmware, I plug the JB4 in, link the app to my phone and install the firmware that way? I ask as I've seen some mention of the JB4 auto detects if it is connected to a B38/48/58 and sets the firmware automatically.
If I'm using the bluetooth does the OBD plug need to be in use or can I leave it disconnected? I'll be running map 1 initially until I'm sure all is ok then try map 2.
(#628)
Old

Car: B46 F56S
Default 02-05-2020, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4mes-c
Afternoon all. I've just (this minute) picked up a JB4 to use on my B48 Mini. I've done some reading and still a bit unsure on some things. The jb4 came off a B58 BMW M140i and although it has the bluetooth adaptor, does not have the computer attachment. So to install the correct firmware, I plug the JB4 in, link the app to my phone and install the firmware that way? I ask as I've seen some mention of the JB4 auto detects if it is connected to a B38/48/58 and sets the firmware automatically.
If I'm using the bluetooth does the OBD plug need to be in use or can I leave it disconnected? I'll be running map 1 initially until I'm sure all is ok then try map 2.
OBD is not needed. Yes install proper firmware on the first page of this thread with JB4 app and Bluetooth.
(#629)
Old

Car: 2017 Mini Countryman All4
Default BC No response / CEL on - 02-09-2020, 08:39 AM

What am I missing?

I installed a JB4 on my 2013 335i 2+ years ago and LOVE IT!

I attempted to install on my 2017 Mini Countryman S All 4... Attempted being the key word.

Has anyone else ran into this:

Problem: Installed and no response from BC button and the CEL comes on?

I contacted support (Ando replied) and after some diagnosis, I found that only one of the pins from the OBD connector was actually being fed into the 2 pins of the JB4. I provided pictures, explained the issue and was told to ship the cable and unit back ($14 no big deal).

Ando replied that a new unit was on its way. I asked what the issue was he said "replaced cable". I was skeptical because he also said that regardless of the cable, the unit should be defaulted to Map 1 and no CEL.

Received it this weekend, tested the new cable and confirmed that indeed 2 pins were now active from the OBD connector to JB4, so I installed it, started the car..... CEL and no BC button response!

It is the most simple thing to install, 2 connections at the engine, and one to the OBD... I am not an idiot and it really is fool proof...

I am patient because this is a performance upgrade, not a required part (luckily I have the tool to reset CEL). I really want this thing to work.

So what am I doing wrong? Am I the only one who ever encountered this?
(#630)
Old
Super Moderator

Car: e90 335i
Default 02-10-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawntrex
What am I missing?

I installed a JB4 on my 2013 335i 2+ years ago and LOVE IT!

I attempted to install on my 2017 Mini Countryman S All 4... Attempted being the key word.

Has anyone else ran into this:

Problem: Installed and no response from BC button and the CEL comes on?

I contacted support (Ando replied) and after some diagnosis, I found that only one of the pins from the OBD connector was actually being fed into the 2 pins of the JB4. I provided pictures, explained the issue and was told to ship the cable and unit back ($14 no big deal).

Ando replied that a new unit was on its way. I asked what the issue was he said "replaced cable". I was skeptical because he also said that regardless of the cable, the unit should be defaulted to Map 1 and no CEL.

Received it this weekend, tested the new cable and confirmed that indeed 2 pins were now active from the OBD connector to JB4, so I installed it, started the car..... CEL and no BC button response!

It is the most simple thing to install, 2 connections at the engine, and one to the OBD... I am not an idiot and it really is fool proof...

I am patient because this is a performance upgrade, not a required part (luckily I have the tool to reset CEL). I really want this thing to work.

So what am I doing wrong? Am I the only one who ever encountered this?
If you're already working with Ando, best to keep the support in one place.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#631)
Old

Car: 2014 Mini Cooper 1.5
Default 02-14-2020, 08:27 AM

Hi,
What is the current status of B38 engine support for Minis?
I guess a compression ration of 11:1 is one of the main limiting factors in tuning this engine (with temperature at 11:1 CR being about 40 degrees C/100 Fahrenheit higher than at 9.5:1)? Will it be better to install 1-step colder spark plugs? Will RON 98 fuel be enough for ~180 hp map?

Anyway, 170-180 hp is good enough, but there is not much info about JB4 and B38 engine. Is it still actively supported by JB4 (seems to be, as listed here https://burgertuning.com/collections...ni-b38-b48-jb4 , but some posts in this thread made me fell uncertain)?

What factors other then boost pressure are modified by JB4 in a B38 engine?

Also what is the difference in gains and what are limitations when using JB+ box and is it suitable for B38 engine (Here https://burgertuning.com/collections...-install-tuner it is listed in "Applications", but not in a heading)

Last edited by R'Sup'T; 02-14-2020 at 09:36 AM..
(#632)
Old
Tuner

Default 02-14-2020, 04:37 PM

Both JB+ and JB4 tuning is supported for the B38! Gains vary based on fuel but around 15%. The JB4 provides a lot more features and tuning options than JB+ but at a higher cost with a little more install effort.

Burger Motorsports
Home of the JB4 the worlds most popular turbocharged tuning system!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
(#633)
Old

Car: E90 335i
Default 02-21-2020, 02:36 PM

Hi,
today I got a used jb4 (x55 rev 3.0) for my 2015 F56 JCW.
Which firmware should I use? What are the differences between the two versions on first page?

I am new to jb4. Is there something I have to aware to?
Or just install it, select map 1 or 2 an drive? (my mini is stock)
(#634)
Old

Car: Mini F55 Cooper S
Default 02-29-2020, 07:41 PM

Can someone post the most current stable firmware pls??