N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: 2008 E93
Default Pirelli Trofeo R - 01-29-2018, 09:10 AM

Trofeo R vs. Toyo R888r.
Any input is appreciated. No driving in rain (unless I just get caught up in it). Which tire offers most traction ? Regular driving conditions. Not just for track and doing burnouts to heat up the tires, but just pull the car out for a spirited drive and randomly launch the car from either a dig or a roll.
(#2)
Old
Demigod

Car: Bmw M2
Default 01-29-2018, 09:18 AM

The only I would worry about is heat cycling, is your driving hard enough to cause a heat cycle? If so then these tires won't last long from what I've read because R comps are on able to get through so many heat cycles.

Next is if you're dirivng hard enough to reach operating temps of the tires, if not then you won't have optimal traction that these tires can provide and imo are better off with exteme performance summer tires.

Lastly I suppose is how much power and torque are you making? I think 550whp and down you'd be ok with an extrme performance summer tire. This is a pretty wild approximation, as there are factors such as power delivery characteristics, and tire width etc.

Also I've heard driving in the rain with road legal R comps is kind of sketchy, but doable as long as it's not standing water.

Overall I've heard great things about both tires and you really can't go wrong either way imo.

2017 BMW M2 - Alpine White, 6MT, Fully Loaded
Mods: Stock for now
(#3)
Old

Default 01-29-2018, 01:06 PM

Thanks for the response. Im 580 / 542. Looking for something that can help keep the power to the ground on a daily basis in Cali weather. As I said, I dont drive in the rain unless I happen to get caught in it. Track....every now and then I take it to the strip. I dont drive like a kid and do burnouts at every stop light. Im trying not to lose traction.....lol
Btw , I also recently installed Mfactory LSD.
(#4)
Old
Demigod

Default 01-29-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BEAST
Thanks for the response. Im 580 / 542. Looking for something that can help keep the power to the ground on a daily basis in Cali weather. As I said, I dont drive in the rain unless I happen to get caught in it. Track....every now and then I take it to the strip. I dont drive like a kid and do burnouts at every stop light. Im trying not to lose traction.....lol
Btw , I also recently installed Mfactory LSD.
I see,
Well I've heard great things about both tires so you should be happy either way!

I personally just prefer extreme performance summer tires because I like to drive in the mountains some times, and those rough terrain drives used to shred R-comps. So if you spend alot of time on the street imo I'd go extreme performance summers. Like re71r, hankook rs4, Advan ad08r, nitto nt05, etc etc.

(#5)
Old

Default 01-29-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowon
I see,
Well I've heard great things about both tires so you should be happy either way!

I personally just prefer extreme performance summer tires because I like to drive in the mountains some times, and those rough terrain drives used to shred R-comps. So if you spend alot of time on the street imo I'd go extreme performance summers. Like re71r, hankook rs4, Advan ad08r, nitto nt05, etc etc.
Ive read good and BAD things about some of tires mentioned. I have tried a few different tires and none are much better than the other. Even PSS I have read are good when new but lose traction at half tread life. If im going to spend money AGAIN on tires I want to be sure they will be worth it. Ive had Verdestein, Pirelli, Sumitomo, Federals. I feel the federals did decent. Im looking for well beyond decent.
(#6)
Old
Demigod

Default 01-29-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Ive read good and BAD things about some of tires mentioned. I have tried a few different tires and none are much better than the other. Even PSS I have read are good when new but lose traction at half tread life. If im going to spend money AGAIN on tires I want to be sure they will be worth it. Ive had Verdestein, Pirelli, Sumitomo, Federals. I feel the federals did decent. Im looking for well beyond decent.
The PSS is a good street tire, but I've heard they have soft corners and will cord on hard track usage. IDK imo I prefer those tire brands I listed previously, its up to you what you want to get, it takes time to find a compound you feel confident on.

(#7)
Old

Default 01-30-2018, 02:57 PM

Thanks man....appreciate the feedback. I think I may go for the TROFEO R.
(#8)
Old
Demigod

Default 01-31-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks man....appreciate the feedback. I think I may go for the TROFEO R.
You're welcome!

(#9)
Old

Default 02-08-2018, 08:46 PM

Went with Toyo R888r. Great tires !
(#10)
Old
Demigod

Default 02-08-2018, 09:02 PM

good to hear man!

(#11)
Old

Default 02-12-2018, 12:17 AM

Yeah...the Trofeos were a week out and I had sold my tires so.......Toyo it is.....only a 24 hr wait time. Im happy with them though. Read about noise and such but I have zero complaints so far on them.
(#12)
Old
Demigod

Car: N55 135i
Default 05-03-2018, 02:52 AM

A bit late for the original OP but for others looking here, I wouldn't get PSS if you're looking for straight line traction.

Have run them for a few 1000k and with mods as per signature, have traction control on when WOT in 3rd!

UK 2011 - E82- 135i - N55 - DCT

JB4 | BMS OCC | N20 TMap | Fuel-It! PI | AIC6 PI Controller | Fuel-It! Fuel Lines | Fuel-It! Stage 2 LPFP | Continental In-line E Sensor | ER Charge Pipe | Pure Stage 2 Turbo | Pure High Flow Inlet | GFB DV+ | Richter C'less D/Pipe | MFactory Pro Helical LSD (75% Bias Ratio) | eDiff Disabled Via Coding | MFactory Solid Diff Bushes | Diff Lockdown Bracket | Custom 98G0B BEF | NGK 5992s (0.020")

DD Map 7 at 20psi. Map 6 at 25psi for 'kill mode'
(#13)
Old
Inner Circle Member

Car: 2009 535i Sport SAT
Default 05-08-2018, 10:05 AM

PSS are not even sold anymore, right? They've all been replaced with the PS4 tires by now, I think.

Which, from all accounts I've read, is supposed to still be a great tire and successor to the PSS.

I've run PSS for years on my 535i, because they're the best tire I've tried (out of many on multiple vehicles). I replaced mine early this year, when PSS were already hard to find but Michelin had not released the PS4 in 275/35 18 yet.

2009 535i Sport - 548whp
Software :
JB4 G5 | MHD | Trebila Tune | XHP Stage 3
Hardware: VTT GC Lites | MFactory Helical LSD | Inlets | Outlet | VRSF 3" D-P's | VRSF 7" FMIC | Fuel-It! S2 LPFP | Fuel-It! TBI | BMS DCI | ER CP | Forge DV's | Koni FSD

(#14)
Old
Demigod

Car: N55 135i
Default 05-08-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
PSS are not even sold anymore, right?
You can still get the in the UK

UK 2011 - E82- 135i - N55 - DCT

JB4 | BMS OCC | N20 TMap | Fuel-It! PI | AIC6 PI Controller | Fuel-It! Fuel Lines | Fuel-It! Stage 2 LPFP | Continental In-line E Sensor | ER Charge Pipe | Pure Stage 2 Turbo | Pure High Flow Inlet | GFB DV+ | Richter C'less D/Pipe | MFactory Pro Helical LSD (75% Bias Ratio) | eDiff Disabled Via Coding | MFactory Solid Diff Bushes | Diff Lockdown Bracket | Custom 98G0B BEF | NGK 5992s (0.020")

DD Map 7 at 20psi. Map 6 at 25psi for 'kill mode'