N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old

Car: renualt
Default N54 reliability - 09-23-2020, 06:05 AM

I am looking at a couple very low priced N54 cars (135i and 335i) with 100K on the clock. How reliable are these cars after 100K miles? I am looking for one to use as a daily. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. https://omegle.onl/ vshare

Last edited by aswarola8; 09-24-2020 at 01:46 AM..
(#2)
Old

Car: 2003 Forester
Default 09-23-2020, 07:30 AM

Opinions are like bumholes and mine's huge.

Compared to a typical Japanese car they aren't "reliable" at all. All of the Euro car's I've owned require a lot of parts to be replaced after the 80-100k mark. The design criteria is probably that the parts on the car are as cheap as possible and last the length of the warranty and the engineers hit the nail on the head.

In the US this is one of the reasons European cars have such a dramatic drop in value in the used car market. They will require a lot of items to be replaced and parts are usually more expensive. And one time use bolts? Like fuk you Europe. On the flip side an 8 year old Tacoma with 125k miles is still worth almost 20k.

That being said most of the European cars I've driven are nicer and more engaging to drive than a standard Japanese or American built vehicle. The N54 has been out for a long time and there is a lot of info out there for the average lifespan of parts so if you don't mid putting money into a vehicle preemptively to replace still working parts or don't mind breaking down every once in a while and waiting for the car to be fixed then you can get a heck of a lot of car for the money. Ever since my B5 Audi days I've never owned JUST a european car and always had a Subaru or Toyota back up and it's been a great experience. I also have a leg up because I do all my own work so I save huge on labor.

This is just my experience and observation though and I'm sure someone will pipe in that they have 180k miles on their N54 vehicle and it has never broken down on them but I'm saying on AVERAGE there is a lot more maintenance required. YMMV

I had a 2005 Lexus GS430 that I owned from 80 to 210k miles. I replaced all the fluids, brakes, suspension, plugs and timing belt when I got it and then just oil changes and filters after that until I sold it. Mind you the UZ family of engines is legendary for their reliability but still pretty insane.

I've also owned my 2010 E60 from 75 to now 130k and while it's currently down getting new turbo's put on along with a bunch of preventative/regular maintenance it's been my absolute favorite car I've had for a daily.
(#3)
Old

Car: 2009 135i 6MT
Default 09-23-2020, 12:12 PM

They're reliable if you take care of all the known problems. Be prepared to shell out a good amount of money on leaking injectors, bad turbos, oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, coils, suspension, etc. If you do all the work yourself, it won't cost you an arm and a leg.. just an arm.