N54Tech.com - International Turbo Racing Discussion
(#1)
Old
Gates_N54 Gates_N54 is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 14
Join Date: Jan 2018
Car: 07 335I
Default Ebay 19T Twins after 2nd Set of Blown Stock Turbos - 07-07-2020, 07:28 PM

My experience so far... not an endorsement, I've just seen post about the 17Ts but haven't noticed anyone really diving into the bigger 19Ts (VIV Autoparts)



Decided to go with these since I bought a OEM set from them 2 years ago and have abused them daily over boosting past what they were rated for with no issues. (Waste-gates failed)

Car is "Almost" Full bolt on Partial Ebay build.

160,000 Miles
JB4 w/MHD Backend Flash (Map 6 25PSI)
Ebay Chargepipe w/50mm BOV
Ebay ***-Less DP's
Ebay 7.5 Stepped Intercooler
Ebay Catchcan
Amazon Walbro 450
MMP Relocated Alum. Inlets w/VRSF 2" couplers
VRSF Alum. Outlet
Snow Performance Meth Kit 175ml Nozzle 5-25 PSI Progressive
2 step colder plugs
Ebay Coils (Probably shouldn't)

Honestly, Fingers Crossed these ebay 19Ts hold up.
They react very quickly to throttle response but have a tendency to overshoot boost target and trigger the saftey quicker than the WGDC can counter.
Currently Targeting 25psi with a 30psi saftey
Im also not running Port Injection and I'm still on the factory HPFP/Injectors from 2007 so that's a bottleneck.

Datazap Log from a roll on 3-4th Highway Pull for the interested
https://***********/u/gatesn54/19t-n...16-17-18-19-24

Last edited by Gates_N54; 07-08-2020 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: Mileage and Turbo brand
Reply With Quote
(#2)
Old
ajsalida ajsalida is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 302
Join Date: Mar 2013
Car: e92 335xi
Default 07-08-2020, 04:29 PM

Have they fixed the welded-on nut for oil fitting yet? See here:

Upgraded T04 turbos for less $ than stock! Wtf? Link inside | BMW Forums - SpoolStreet
Reply With Quote
(#3)
Old
Gates_N54 Gates_N54 is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 14
Join Date: Jan 2018
Car: 07 335I
Default 07-08-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida
Have they fixed the welded-on nut for oil fitting yet? See here:

Upgraded T04 turbos for less $ than stock! Wtf? Link inside | BMW Forums - SpoolStreet
Yes, It's no longer a welded and now is in with the casting. They supply a new screw for the oil line as the stock one wont work. (different height)

It took a week after purchasing for them to even ship, so either it was one of the first of the new batches or they are made-to-order.

The housing is definitely larger than stock and was a PITA trying to get the oil drain line in on the front turbo.

I wish I took more pictures of the turbos but I was just ready to get them put in after having the car down for so long. (It's my daily) Unfortunately the only other picture I have you cant see.

Reply With Quote
(#4)
Old
AWSAWS's Avatar
AWSAWS AWSAWS is offline
Demigod
 
Posts: 1,544
Join Date: Aug 2014
Car: 335i MSport DCT
Default 09-30-2020, 10:42 AM

so how are they doing?


UK FBO 335i, GCs, JB4, PI meth, BMS CP, OCC, Braided brake lines. Diff Lockdown. TMAP sensor, custom bucketless stage2

11.79@119mph on stockers, CP meth (UK, Santa Pod)
11.74@129mph on GCs, custom port meth injection.
Reply With Quote
(#5)
Old
Gates_N54 Gates_N54 is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 14
Join Date: Jan 2018
Car: 07 335I
Default 09-30-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS
so how are they doing?
Wastegates are rattling already after about 5k miles.

They are still holding up to 30 psi just fine and no signs of smoking yet.

Obviously dont recommend burbles as I'm 99.9% sure that cause the wastegates to rattle since it happened after I turned burbles on.

I do recommend getting the wastegates upgraded if anyone buys these units.
Reply With Quote
(#6)
Old
brendan's Avatar
brendan brendan is offline
Brendan
 
Posts: 425
Join Date: Apr 2013
Car: 335i 2007 6spdman
Default 09-30-2020, 01:32 PM

30psi!
Ebay pistons and rods coming up next.
Reply With Quote
(#7)
Old
Gates_N54 Gates_N54 is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 14
Join Date: Jan 2018
Car: 07 335I
Default 10-01-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan
30psi!
Ebay pistons and rods coming up next.
Nah, when this motor lets go its getting the LS treatment. Little more cost effective for the power I'm after.
Reply With Quote
(#8)
Old
Gates_N54 Gates_N54 is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 14
Join Date: Jan 2018
Car: 07 335I
Default 10-05-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS
so how are they doing?
May have spoke too soon. A day or so after I replied to you I noticed the car was running different and was a lot louder than normal. Sounds like a hole in the exhaust while being under power and getting heavy timing corrections.

Haven't dug into the car quite enough to see what's going on but it sounds like its misfiring and at the same time not.

JB4 logs are not a pretty sight. No CELs . No Shadow Codes.

https://***********/u/gatesn54/n54-h...log=0&data=1-4
Reply With Quote
(#9)
Old
andrew85 andrew85 is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 46
Join Date: Aug 2019
Car: E92 335i
Default 10-06-2020, 04:12 AM

These china turbos make some power, but it appears that they also make some decent heat.

Would love to know what has happened with yours. Bent rods and broken ringlands seem to be the flavour at the moment.


2007 BMW E92 335I 6AT, 17T Hybrid Twins, 3" VRSF Down, 7.5" Stepped FMIC, JB4 ISO 32_15 Firmware, E85 BEF, XHP Stage 3 V3, Port Injection 500cc Injectors, BMS PI Controller, Stage 3 LPFP, OCC, Milltek Exhaust, DCI, Index 12 Injectors, 2 Step Colder NGK Plugs 0.018" gap, Charge Pipe, Silicon Vac Lines, Eldor coils.
Reply With Quote
(#10)
Old
Gates_N54 Gates_N54 is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 14
Join Date: Jan 2018
Car: 07 335I
Default 10-06-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew85
These china turbos make some power, but it appears that they also make some decent heat.

Would love to know what has happened with yours. Bent rods and broken ringlands seem to be the flavour at the moment.

Broken wastegates so far. Duty cycle hits 99% every time I'm on throttle till it inherently builds 3psi full spool in higher rpms.

It isnt misfiring and its putting timing correction on all 6 till hit hits 3psi. It hasnt started smoking like its burning oil, no oil or metal in the intake. I'm going to drain the oil and check the filter before I remove the down pipe s.

I'll re update once I pull the down pipe s and post pictures of what failed.
Reply With Quote
(#11)
Old
AWSAWS's Avatar
AWSAWS AWSAWS is offline
Demigod
 
Posts: 1,544
Join Date: Aug 2014
Car: 335i MSport DCT
Default 10-10-2020, 02:53 AM

YHopefully nothing serious. I have a set ready to go on soon.
How much timing are you running OP? You might need to tame things down a little unless you run more water meth injection to lower EGTs


UK FBO 335i, GCs, JB4, PI meth, BMS CP, OCC, Braided brake lines. Diff Lockdown. TMAP sensor, custom bucketless stage2

11.79@119mph on stockers, CP meth (UK, Santa Pod)
11.74@129mph on GCs, custom port meth injection.
Reply With Quote
(#12)
Old
Gates_N54 Gates_N54 is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 14
Join Date: Jan 2018
Car: 07 335I
Default 10-17-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS
YHopefully nothing serious. I have a set ready to go on soon.
How much timing are you running OP? You might need to tame things down a little unless you run more water meth injection to lower EGTs
Looks like the waste gate arm broke the clip holding to the actuator or vise versa. Turbos look to be in okay condition. No leaking oil or coolant no wiggle in the wheels or anything.

Reply With Quote
(#13)
Old
Arrtus Arrtus is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 24
Join Date: Jul 2020
Car: 2009 135i 6MT
Default 10-18-2020, 01:53 PM

what made you decide to go with these instead of the Dynamic Autowerx turbos?
Reply With Quote
(#14)
Old
Gates_N54 Gates_N54 is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 14
Join Date: Jan 2018
Car: 07 335I
Default 10-18-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrtus
what made you decide to go with these instead of the Dynamic Autowerx turbos?
Mostly because I beat the piss out of the car everyday. Its more cost efficient to go the route I have with certain parts that if they break, they can be replaced cheaply. I didnt have a clip laying around for the waste gate so I put a cotter pin in it.

Its back to taking full boost digs and 60 rolls along with ripping the 2 step a bit.

These $1100 turbos have taken the abuse ive thrown at them for almost 6k miles now fairly easy minus breaking a c clip.
Reply With Quote
(#15)
Old
Arrtus Arrtus is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 24
Join Date: Jul 2020
Car: 2009 135i 6MT
Default 10-18-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gates_N54
Mostly because I beat the piss out of the car everyday. Its more cost efficient to go the route I have with certain parts that if they break, they can be replaced cheaply. I didnt have a clip laying around for the waste gate so I put a cotter pin in it.

Its back to taking full boost digs and 60 rolls along with ripping the 2 step a bit.

These $1100 turbos have taken the abuse ive thrown at them for almost 6k miles now fairly easy minus breaking a c clip.
That's great to hear!

I'm on the fence about going with upgraded twins or shelling out a bunch of money on a single turbo kit. I've been mainly concerned with if they will hold up or if I'll end up having to replace them with the single turbo anyway. I know swapping these turbos is definitely a pain in the ass so I'd hate to have to do it twice.
Reply With Quote
(#16)
Old
AWSAWS's Avatar
AWSAWS AWSAWS is offline
Demigod
 
Posts: 1,544
Join Date: Aug 2014
Car: 335i MSport DCT
Default 10-19-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrtus
what made you decide to go with these instead of the Dynamic Autowerx turbos?
DA turbos ate just China turbos with their badge over the top. You can see the casting numbers on the housings.
Buy direct. Cut out the middle men.


UK FBO 335i, GCs, JB4, PI meth, BMS CP, OCC, Braided brake lines. Diff Lockdown. TMAP sensor, custom bucketless stage2

11.79@119mph on stockers, CP meth (UK, Santa Pod)
11.74@129mph on GCs, custom port meth injection.
Reply With Quote
(#17)
Old
Arrtus Arrtus is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 24
Join Date: Jul 2020
Car: 2009 135i 6MT
Default 10-19-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS
DA turbos ate just China turbos with their badge over the top. You can see the casting numbers on the housings.
Buy direct. Cut out the middle men.
No way, I didn't know that. They advertise them as being made in USA so I was under the impression that they weren't Chinese turbos.
Reply With Quote
(#18)
Old
AWSAWS's Avatar
AWSAWS AWSAWS is offline
Demigod
 
Posts: 1,544
Join Date: Aug 2014
Car: 335i MSport DCT
Default 10-22-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrtus
No way, I didn't know that. They advertise them as being made in USA so I was under the impression that they weren't Chinese turbos.
I believe these days a 'made in ...' badge can be put on things if they are assembled in that country or finished in that country. So even as simple as sticking on a badge or screwing together the Chinese housings in America can justify the badge.


UK FBO 335i, GCs, JB4, PI meth, BMS CP, OCC, Braided brake lines. Diff Lockdown. TMAP sensor, custom bucketless stage2

11.79@119mph on stockers, CP meth (UK, Santa Pod)
11.74@129mph on GCs, custom port meth injection.
Reply With Quote
(#19)
Old
AWSAWS's Avatar
AWSAWS AWSAWS is offline
Demigod
 
Posts: 1,544
Join Date: Aug 2014
Car: 335i MSport DCT
Default 10-22-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrtus
No way, I didn't know that. They advertise them as being made in USA so I was under the impression that they weren't Chinese turbos.






UK FBO 335i, GCs, JB4, PI meth, BMS CP, OCC, Braided brake lines. Diff Lockdown. TMAP sensor, custom bucketless stage2

11.79@119mph on stockers, CP meth (UK, Santa Pod)
11.74@129mph on GCs, custom port meth injection.
Reply With Quote
(#20)
Old
MG-42 MG-42 is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 1
Join Date: Apr 2020
Car: 335i e92
Default 10-23-2020, 06:52 AM

So how are the turbos performin? Looking for the TD04 19T 900hp option..! Also made in China
Reply With Quote
(#21)
Old
Arrtus Arrtus is offline
New Member
 
Posts: 24
Join Date: Jul 2020
Car: 2009 135i 6MT
Default 10-23-2020, 09:08 AM

I am sure that DA would be doing some form of testing on their products after importing them from China. Although it may seem like they "throw on their badge and sell it", there is still some form of quality control and testing that goes into their products. Companies don't just import things and sell them under their brand without assuring that performance is met to their standards (although I am sure some companies don't care). This is especially important to do with products brought in from China as their manufacturing guidelines/standards are far less restricted than ours are in the USA which is the reason why China gets a bad rep for their quality.

That is not to say that China is unable to make great products. There just involves more risk when you cut out the middle man.
Reply With Quote
(#22)
Old
AWSAWS's Avatar
AWSAWS AWSAWS is offline
Demigod
 
Posts: 1,544
Join Date: Aug 2014
Car: 335i MSport DCT
Default 10-26-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrtus
I am sure that DA would be doing some form of testing on their products after importing them from China. Although it may seem like they "throw on their badge and sell it", there is still some form of quality control and testing that goes into their products. Companies don't just import things and sell them under their brand without assuring that performance is met to their standards (although I am sure some companies don't care). This is especially important to do with products brought in from China as their manufacturing guidelines/standards are far less restricted than ours are in the USA which is the reason why China gets a bad rep for their quality.

That is not to say that China is unable to make great products. There just involves more risk when you cut out the middle man.
Have read about a number of DA failures on another site so it sounds like they don't do much if anything.

Might as well buy cheap and direct. China turbos are balanced before going out to customers.


UK FBO 335i, GCs, JB4, PI meth, BMS CP, OCC, Braided brake lines. Diff Lockdown. TMAP sensor, custom bucketless stage2

11.79@119mph on stockers, CP meth (UK, Santa Pod)
11.74@129mph on GCs, custom port meth injection.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright 2007 - 2020, N54tech.com